Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
What have you used?

What do you have?

What do you prefer?

I think my better half and I need a pair this Santa season.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have used them all. MicroSpikes are still my favorite.
For me they are the right tooth length for hiking/hunting. If I need more I use my Hillsound crampons.

Ed T

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ironbender
Ed talked me into these a few years ago, and my better half and I have been using them ever since. They are life savers in mud, on wet grass and on ice.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks, fellas. Got a email into Santa.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Micro are great when a full crampon is not needed, although I would take Ed's recommendation as he has more experience with the lighter varieties than I do.

The lightest though is SCREW SHOES

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my third year of using Katoola microspikes and love them. I use them probably more on wet moss/wood in rain forest than on pure snow or ice, though often hunt a mix of slick snow in steep clearcuts heavy with logging debris and new brush.

They go on quickly and easily, come off the same way, and I'm usually not even aware they are on my boots.

One of the better products with more positives and fewer negatives than most items of gear.

Wear them from August picking huckleberries to calling coastal predators through the winter into spring. Hmmm... should try them on my wading boots for summer river salmon.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
My primary intended use in snowy/icy/slick steep(ish) trails, not ice climbing. Don't want toe points and the Kahtoolas are about right. I have seen another brand mentioned here, but can't recall it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hillsound. I prefer Kahtoola MicroSpikes but some like the Hillsound better. (I do use the Hillsound 10 point crampons)

Ed T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My pard uses the Kahtoola KTS crampons for that use. He convinced me to buy a pair, but I haven't needed them yet. For steep and slick he loves them. FWIW, they have warrantied two pairs for him by just replacing them. One pair he'd worn the points into nubs on some rocky mtn goat hunts. The second pair he sent in to get a strap replaced and they just sent him another new pair. Judging from his experience I'd say that's pretty good customer service.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I prefer the kts for climbing icy stuff because they stay put better than the hillsound trail crampons or the microspikes.

But for general traction, I like the hillsound trail crampons. Similar to the microspike, but a better mousetrap IMO. There is a lot to be said for something being quick to put on and take off.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the KTS, K-10s, Hillsound Trail, and Hillsound Cypress 6. My favorite of those is the Cypress 6. Quick on/off. Clamp down super tight so they don't "walk" around the side of your boot while doing a lot of side hilling and the "anti-snowball" pad seems to keep snow from building up much better than the others IMO which allow the crampons to still have contact with the ground for traction rather than walking on snowballs under your boots. wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (35, 160user, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.