Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So, quick background to this question---

I am 39 years old, and until I was 37 years old, I was pretty overweight. I was about 275lbs until Feb 2013. I started losing weight (intentionally), and currently hover between 205 and 210, at 6'1" tall. Diet and exercise. Anywho... losing the weight means I get cold. Fast.

I've improved my clothing options quite a bit, moving to all merino wool base layers, adding more wool and polypro layers, etc. I'm doing better, but the cold still bites my fingers/toes pretty quick, and will get to my core if I'm not super layered up.

Looking at the Sitka Gear stuff, it looks and feels awesome. It's in stock at the Cabelas near me, and it seems perfect. I'm thinking of their bibs, coats, etc. The problem is price. I cannot possibly justify that cost.

So, I've added a little here and there, things like a pair of wool pants I found for a good price. A wool sweater (100% merino, I should have bought at least two more).

Where I lack is something like bibs for covering my back (treestand hunting is the majority of my hunting) under my coat/shell, and for super cold days (like in Jan late flintlock season).

Given that the Sitka stuff would be about perfect except for cost, any less pricey alternatives out there that anyone would recommend?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Insulated Carhardtt

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Sitka Gear & other comparable stuff's strength is not geared to cold weather hunting for the most part, if that's your intended use, so plan on warmer weather hunting or keeping on the move.

MM

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
TD,

First of all, congrats. It's awesome you've made the changes you have in your life to be more healthy/fit.

Secondly, I'd recommend looking at a REALLY good hat. You can make a hell of a difference in your overall "warmth" with a good hat, without spending a whole lot of money. I typically wear as little as I can while hunting, but have a really warm hat and pair of gloves with me at all times.

Those two things will cover a lot of shortcomings in your wardrobe, without bankrupting you in the process.

In particular, I'm a big fan of the outfitter "wooltimate" beanie sold at Cabelas.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TD

you don't say where you are. In MN I go with windproof, breathable layers, top and bottom. Under those, fleece coat and even a down vest. Polypropylene long underwear next to skin. If you can find it, brutalwear (Avery, no longer produced) is wonderful stuff - thick, breathable gear. As IDdave points out, a good hat is really important. I also use a turtleneck dickie, as it keeps the neck warm without increasing the number of layers. If really windy, I pull the hood up, but it makes it hard to hear. And whatever it takes to keep your feet warm. I froze my feet many times as a youth playing hockey, so I use Sorrel 100 below boots with toe warmers. Handwarmers may also help.

Good luck - wait them out!

Fred

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm in southeast PA. It doesn't get REAL cold here that often, but the worst are the days where it's low 30's and the humidity is off the charts. Feels like it just sucks the heat out of you, and you can't get it back for anything!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The disposable heating pads at your wrists to keep your hands have helped me.. There are some you can stick to your body.. The back over the kidneys can help too.

Never hunted in cool and high humidity so take this advice with a grain of salt.

All the best and good on you forvlosing the weight.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you stand hunt, forget Sitka. I like their gear, but you will freeze to death. Some basic layering clothes with a set of arctic sheiks outerwear will serve you well if you are sitting in a stand for long periods.

The more mobile you are, the better Sitka will work IMO.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You need windstopper and dead air space underneath it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't need that stuff to sit in a stand. I usually wear GOOD boots, GOO gloves (with warmer pockets) Carhartt bibs and a good jacket. I wear fleece under the bibs.

I spent a ton of hours out in the cold this year, about half of it sitting in a stand. No issues with warmth.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
OK, so maybe some clarification may help here.

My normal attire involves Core4Element (because I got it for a good price) merino wool as my base, next-to-skin layer. Always. I wear Cabela's Ultimate Wool socks of varying weights, depending on weather, as they are 78% wool, a far higher wool content than a lot of "wool" socks on the market. From there, I'll usually put on a Polartec "Powerstretch" bib (under layer), sort of a "union suit" of thin polartec material.

Up top, I'll put on a merino wool sweater.

Pants, if it's decent out, will be army surplus multicam pants. Cooler weather, I use a pair of Cabela's wool pants. I have some Badlands "Ion" pants that are oversized and I layer on top for windy/colder days.

Boots- Meindl Perfekts, 400g. I can get one pair of midweight and one pair of heavy weight wool socks inside these boots if needed.

Gloves- wool "glomitts"

Head- varies....I have a merino "beanie", then lately I've taken to using an army surplus wool balaclava or same style wool scarf. For rifle season where orange must be worn on the head, I have a medium weight goretex hat from Cabela's (the store is 3 miles from me), or a cheapie synthetic orange knit cap. The knit cap isn't for warmth. it's to stretch over something better. I usually use a wool knit cap under it.

Coat/shell- I have a Rocky "Long Range Hunter" parka system (fleece/poly zip out liner with suede wind/water proof shell).

I do have a pair of 1200g boots I use on really cold days, and I have those thin "Arctic Shield" boot covers. For BITTER cold days I have the old, Mickey Mouse looking "blanket boots". I haven't used those in years. I usually just toss a "Hot Hands" in the Arctic Shields.

I used Hot Hands warmers sparingly, often in the mitts of the glomitts, to keep my fingers warm.

Where I was eyeing Sitka was for their "Incinerator" bibs. The feel like a good weight to layer over on the bitter cold days, and are very quiet. I have some cheapie Remington bibs that are warm and absolutely waterproof. They are also very bulky, and agonizingly loud. That's why I was looking at Sitka.

Coats to an extent, but mainly for the bibs.

I've been told my blood pressure is part of why the cold zings me so much. It's always been good. When I was heavier, it had crept up a tad to 120 or 125 over 80, ballpark. Part of my weight loss involved (and I continue it) running and cycling. Result is my resting heart rate is usually in the low 50's or high 40's. My BP is 105-108 over 60-65. I've been told that those factors, while good for my overall health, contribute to me feeling the cold so quickly now.

So to refine the question, I guess good, warm, quiet, waterproof bibs are really what I'm after....and the Carhartt suggestions are good ones, I think.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
You need windstopper and dead air space underneath it.
I agree! For it's weight/bulk I find items with the windstopper membrane incredibly warm. I think keeping the wind from stripping your heat away is the secret.

I bet these would be pretty darn warm.

Cabelas Berber Extreme Bibs

Windshear is Cabelas version of windstopper. They won't be waterproof, but IME wind barrier clothing will keep you pretty dry.

If you do have your heart set on Sitka, just keep your eyes peeled for sales. They change models/names quite frequently and you can often pick them up on sale for a relatively good price.

Last edited by pointer; 12/19/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you've got a pretty good system already.

I agree with iddave - make the hat count.
I don't sit in the cold without a King of the Mountain Bomber hat. Tis spendy but well worth it.

You might consider a Primaloft pullover or vest to mix into the arsenal too. Minimal bulk for what you get in insulation.

And, the bibs are a good idea. I've not seen the Incinerator bib first hand but they appear to fairly streamlined.

If you're just looking for insulation for your legs on stand, (although not a bib) I've had good luck with Rab Photon Pants. They pack down to next to nothing and are reasonably quiet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SKane

I agree with iddave - make the hat count.
I don't sit in the cold without a King of the Mountain Bomber hat. Tis spendy but well worth it.

I agree 100% with this. My son relieved me of my KOM hat years ago and I replaced it with a SI but these hats are great.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by SKane
... I've not seen the Incinerator bib first hand but they appear to fairly streamlined.

I have the Incinerator set, it is quiet and warm. The bibs are insulated up into the chest and back area, very easy to overheat in these going into the woods down to the low 20s.

The jacket is only insulated about half way down the vertical length, it must be worn with the bibs for it to be effective. If you wear it over a different bottom half, you'll have wind coverage, but only be insulated to about mid-chest and back. I think the idea was not not double layer the core areas and create overheating issues.

The multicam pants are not much of an insulator, IMHO, and they don't stop much wind. I'd get a set of the old Swiss/Danish/German? wool pants, they'd be a decent forest color, warm, and generally cheap on the surplus sites.

It sounds like you have most of the layers figured out, especially with a wool layer in the mix.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/19/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like others say, you have a pretty good set-up and I wouldn't change much. In my view, your weak spot is the boots. Like sitka gear, miendles are not made for stand hunting. You need at least a 800gram boot or even some felt packs. Somebody mentioned sorels, which are a great option and pretty reasonably priced. You could also check out the schnees pack boots, which are more expensive and a bit better if you do any walking.

I suggest you upgrade your boots, and follow advise above around hats, neck gaitors, & handwarmers. I have chronic cold hands and while I still hunt mostly, I will stand hunt for periods. I have a pair of gore-tex ski mittens (black with rubberized palm) and wear a glove liner underneath...and always have set of handwarmers in the mitten.

The only other thing I have started using as a layer is a synthetic 'puff' jacket or a down sweater. These are simply awesome - warm, super light & pack down to nothing when hoofing it.

Good luck and congrats on getting into such great shape!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I stick with the Meindls because I hate heavy boots. I guess I have to decide if I hate them more than cold feet? LOL

I have some 1200g Cabela's boots... Whitetail Hunter, or something like that? I forget. They're decently warm. I pull them out when temps are headed south of 20-25 degrees.

I have a Stormy Kromer hat for late flintlock season this year, with room for layers under it. I'm fairly certain that "Mrs Claus" got me another Stormy in fluorescent orange for use in rifle season where orange is required.

I've been keeping an eye on Camofire and other places for a deal on the Sitka bibs, but even Camofire's price is pretty high, I think.

And I would not typically wear bibs for the walk in, they'd get lashed to my backpack and I'd slip into them at the stand (before climbing the ladder!).

The reason for the bibs is to ensure good coverage over my lower back. That's a tough spot to keep warm, and an important one, I think.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Forgot a few things- I have a Rocky "jacket" which is really a thin primaloft/poofy type insulation with uninsulated sleeves. That's a common layer I'll work in, too.

I also have some polartec fleece bibs. The local milsurp store had them for $20, had to get them. They are good....just add more bulk to the layers on my legs.

The multicam pants are really my favorites for general purpose use. I have some USMC pants, too. If it's windy and cold, I'll take the Badlands pants. They lock the wind out pretty well, but aren't quite as quiet as the military pants.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you have a great start on the gear. I too recently lost weight and find it harder to stay warm when stationary for long periods of time. Interesting that you cite your blood pressure - I've thought that for a long time. My blood pressure has always been normal to low. It is now in the 100's to high 60's, low 70's with a heart rate in the mid 50's.

Like you, I am looking at the Sitka Gear for my needs. My Dad and I bought the Fanatic bibs and jacket for treestand hunting. It is as advertised - warm, light, and well made. We sat in temps in the high 20's to low 30's for up to 10 hours this year. It works. The Incinerator series is supposed to be even warmer. I know guys that use in northern plains and Canada and they say it works. They also say you won't be still hunting in it unless you like to sweat - alot.

I'm looking to add more Sitka Gear for my elk hunting needs. I really like the way it fits. I have an athletic build and always buy a large coat to get it to fit through the shoulders but then have a waist that is way too big. Sitka gear is tailored to that shape.

A couple of things I do:

1. I wear some type of hood under my outer garment. I have a bunch of fleece of varying weights that go under my outer shell. Wear the hood on both when its cold out.

2. Neck gaiter. Buy a heavy duty neck gaiter, tuck the bottom under your outer garment, and pull the top over your nose. This is surprisingly warm.

3. Wear a fleece beanie under your hat. I really like a ball cap type of hat for the visor. I bought a thinsulate insulated ball cap and wear a fleece beanie under it with the aforementioned dual hood set up. This is the warmest way I've found but the clothes need to fit right to make it happen without bunching layers around your head and neck.

4. I wore 1000 gm thinsulaite boots for the past 5-6 years. They wore out so replaced them with a pair of 800 gram. The 800 works ok till it gets down in the teens. I'm going back to 1-1200 grams.

5. Hand/body warmers. I hate full fingered gloves and detest mittens. I've gone to using Glacier Glove fingerless gloves and using 2 handwarmers in each pocket. The Sitka Fanatic jacket has a weird zipper arrangment but comes with a kangaroo pocket. Glacier gloves, handwarmer and kangaroo pocket made for toasty hands all day.

6. Boot Gaiters. This wouldn't seem to be needed especially when snow isn't in the forecast but goretex boot gaiters help keep your lower leg and feet warm. I've told this to several people and they always scoff at the idea of wearing gaiters when its cold and dry. Try it before you scoff.

7. Double base layer/socks. I've worn a pair of lightweight base layer, then a pair of fleece pajamas I have, then my outer bottom layer. I've also worn a thin pair of merino wool socks under a pair of heavy weight merino wool socks. This kind of sucks to walk around in but for stationary hunts, it works.

Last edited by bwinters; 12/19/14.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finally broke down and bought some Sitka Mountain pants this fall. Wow, what a difference over denims. I hike and climb a lot the freedom and stretch in them makes a world of difference. Expensive yes, worth it - to me yes. Since then I have also picked up a Traverse 1/4 zip shirt and 90% Jacket. They are also nice, but there is other stuff that is comparable and cheaper. As for the pants the only good options I found cost just as much.

Last edited by centershot; 12/19/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.