Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by clark98ut

That�s getting there. If they offered that scope with the Velocity reticles, I�ll buy.

Lack of zero stop doesn�t bother me with covered turrets.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Didn't see anything about turrets...it mentions capped adjustments!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

No zero stop. No decent hunting reticle. Side focus on a 10X scope. 20.8 ozs.

I'm for making it illegal to build a scope with a elevation turret without a zero stop.

I like the feature set on this one but holy cow!!!, 30 ozs?

A friend has a 5-25 ATACR and the glass is great, I'm sure this is the same.

It looks like a great scope but at almost 2 lbs. that rules it out for any hunting rifle use for me. The lack of good hunting reticles still remains.

I'm in the camp that a ZS is a must have, the new SHV if as reliable as the majority of NF scopes could be very interesting!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

No zero stop. No decent hunting reticle. Side focus on a 10X scope. 20.8 ozs.

I'm for making it illegal to build a scope with a elevation turret without a zero stop.

I like the feature set on this one but holy cow!!!, 30 ozs?

A friend has a 5-25 ATACR and the glass is great, I'm sure this is the same.

It looks like a great scope but at almost 2 lbs. that rules it out for any hunting rifle use for me. The lack of good hunting reticles still remains.

The ATACR is tempting.Smaller package but weighs the same as a 3.5-15x50 NXS that I use a lot currently. Reticle choices are fine for me. I'd have no use for a German 4 in a scope like that.

The SHV is a major improvement, yet still a disappointment.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Fotis
I just got this NF not too long ago. Very happy with it so far.

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm

illuminated MOAR Reticle - .250 MOA Adjustments - ZeroStop - Hi Speed - 30mm Tube - Side Focus - Digital Illumination - Matte Black
Made in the USA.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That would be the perfect hunting scope if they'd:

1) Get rid of the side focus (just not needed on a 10X hunting scope)

2) Put a decent hunting reticle in it like a German #4. The MOAR is cute for range work, I have one in a 8-32 NXS, but it's far too fine for a hunting rifle and overly complicated.

3) Get rid of the illumination, it's a gimmick in a hunting scope and not needed if you've got a good bold reticle like a German #4

4) Knock about 6 oz. off of it which actually is probably doable if you get rid of the side focus and illumination, at least they could probably get close.

I'm actually a big nightforce fan, all scopes should be built as reliably as they are. They're moving in the right direction in the hunting market but still need to figure out how to shave some weight without sacrificing reliability and get rid of some useless features while retaining the important stuff like zero stops, etc. They need to go talk to the Krauts about how to make a proper hunting reticle for low light instead of the illuminated christmas tree stuff.

CH,

I used one of these a bit this season.

1. Focus is required at 10x. It cannot be left at one setting that will work at 50 yards, 100, 150, 200, and 300, and work equally well at all, not to mention potential parallax issues.

2. MOAR - It has 1 MOA hash marks. What is complicated about that? It ties for my favorite with the NP-R1.

The IHR reticle is pretty simple, although I prefer to have some information in the reticle to allow for holding elevation, wind, and lead, if needed.

3. Illumination - not sure why you think it is a gimmick. Illumination is a feature that I find very helpful and tend to use with some regularity in shooting feral pigs, which usually are black, and tend to come out in low light.

Here is the hair color, which at 100 - 200 yards in low light makes illumination helpful.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I will say though I'm always skeptical of all these Leupy failure threads

Interesting. Do you feel like because it has not been your exerience it is not so? Do you feel like the failure reports are fabricated? Or do you feel that the failure reports are accurate, but the cause of the failure is justifiable?

What do you make of RC's most recent experience? Skeptical?

I am confident you have not experienced a failure. Why then don't you return the love grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think we hear more about Leupolds going down because there are so many of them in circulation,so naturally we hear about it more.

But I don't think any of these "mid-price" variables are immune....I have seen Nikons, Swaro AV, Zeiss,and others in that $800 and under price range puke in one way or another. Have seen it so much, in fact, that I wince when I buy any of them.Some days I think a guy is better off with a Leupold fixed power than he is with any of the popular brands of variables in that price range.

Plus we have this huge cultural rift today....the average hunter does not shoot all that much.If the rifle sees 200-300 rounds a year that's a lot.So the gear does not see much use.

OTOH we have the avid shooter/hunters like guys on here who pound several thousand rounds a year down range....they are going to make the low price spreads puke on a consistent basis. When I was doing that volume of shooting, I broke several common variables, and 300-375 cal magnums ate those variables for lunch after not much shooting at all. It got to the point where i would buy a Leupold variable and after round count hit 500-600 rounds, I'd just sell it off and buy a new one,whether it worked or not.

And ALL my scope problems started when I started using variables....before that I used fixed powers and there were no "problems".

We did not have things like NF back then, but I understand why guys are drawn to them and the more the annual round count reaches into the thousands, the more likely they are to use them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bob, you're spot on.

A good rule of thumb is that if a hunter shoots factory ammo they are much more likely not to experience a failure. Simply not enough rounds down range. I believe they still experience slight zero shifts, but it is not considered a failure.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's a reason I've switched to aperture sights. I'm sure they aren't as tough as a NF, but they'll get me through...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I will say though I'm always skeptical of all these Leupy failure threads

Interesting. Do you feel like because it has not been your exerience it is not so? Do you feel like the failure reports are fabricated? Or do you feel that the failure reports are accurate, but the cause of the failure is justifiable?

What do you make of RC's most recent experience? Skeptical?

I am confident you have not experienced a failure. Why then don't you return the love grin

That's a fair question. I mean no offense or disrespect to anyone when I said that. I was/am specifically referring to the non turret spinning or casual CDS spinning hunter/user. Since I've seen what I've seen and described previously with my own, and my hunter's Leupy's, I believe there could be any number of reason's for a "failure". For instance, there are lots and lots of "hunters" who are clueless about scope mounting, and parallax.

My lone scope failure was with a SwaroA, during a hunt. Should I therefore say from here on out that the SwaroA Z3 is POS?

Like I say, when I start having failures with them, and my hunter's start having failures with them, then I would rethink my position. I can't tell you the number of head of big game I've seen killed, or killed myself with a Leupy of some sort over the past 40 years......probably 250 or so, and if including hogs would probably be in the 400 range.

That being said, I have no doubt that they can and do fail, just like every other brand of scope out there, period. They all do, which is why they all have repair/return/CS facilities.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Silhouette shooters, both center fire and rimfire adjust the turrets all the time. Serious silhouette shooters shoot thousands of rounds in practice every season. This is an area where barrels get worn out, and the scope goes on the next barrel. By far the scope of choice is the Leupold. I have shot for over 20 years, and I see very few failures. Weight is a consideration due to rules, but cost has no bounds. If Leupold was a liability, then over 90% of the scopes would not be Leupold. I personally could care less about brand loyalty. This is what you see when you are around guys that shoot ammo by the case, not by the box.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Terryk
Silhouette shooters, both center fire and rimfire adjust the turrets all the time. Serious silhouette shooters shoot thousands of rounds in practice every season. This is an area where barrels get worn out, and the scope goes on the next barrel. By far the scope of choice is the Leupold. I have shot for over 20 years, and I see very few failures. Weight is a consideration due to rules, but cost has no bounds. If Leupold was a liability, then over 90% of the scopes would not be Leupold. I personally could care less about brand loyalty. This is what you see when you are around guys that shoot ammo by the case, not by the box.

This is a great observation that makes me wonder if knob twisting AND recoil or rough handling are needed to create the failures. Relatively low recoil sillywet rifles probably see different treatment compared to rifles in tactical comp or combat. Or riding on an ATV or getting beat-on in rough environments and terrain.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info guys. Re reviews I read on NF glass, I googled this particular model and found several scrolling thru pages of hits on various forums.

Very good discussion and feedback by all.

Bobin no doubt a 6x w say M1 might rate real high in low failure rates wink
Scott - irons are perhaps the gold standard till like you say, we move to steel scopes. Wait, wasn't that tried before... Lol.

I agree on comment about the difference in Tactical vs Hunting application.
Also about reticle choice and scope weight for hunting rifles. I recall toting an 8lb sans glass 338-06 in my younger years wishing I had used something lighter than the 4200 1.5-6 - believe was 15-16 oz.

Ironic or causal that we see lighter rifles yet often heavier scopes -
Keeping total package in line?

Again - Appreciate all input. Nice rifle above w S&B 10x

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Getting the 1st paycheck and a car might be a better option vs Nightforce.... Just sayin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta say I appreciate Rick coming clean with his Leupo failures. I know he's been successful with them but his honest feedback supports what others have been stating.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
I recall toting an 8lb sans glass 338-06 in my younger years wishing I had used something lighter than the 4200 1.5-6 - believe was 15-16 oz.

I've been looking for one of those scopes with the optional Firefly reticle and I wanted to know what your thoughts were about the scope as far as eye relief. Any problem with that scope due to mileage or extended use ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think we hear more about Leupolds going down because there are so many of them in circulation,so naturally we hear about it more.

That's a logical conclusion however, I don't know if the brand Leupold sells more scopes than the others. IIRC, I saw a post several years ago here that was titled something to the effect about most popular equipment list by the numbers. I don't remember who did the survey but it included scopes, bino's, rifles etc etc. I believe it was one of the Jap scope brands that was the number one seller by shear volume alone.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Stoney, no NF in my near future, even if I wanted one.

RD, it was a good optic, but I did fine with a VX-III 2.5-8x36 on a Texas hunt and a 6x42 for most other hunts. No issues with ER on 4200. Like and use a 3200 3-10x40 compact on my T3 and my son's 270 has a 4200 3-9x40. Both seem about identical to my eyes, very good.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Check out the new HD Ziess conquest w/zero stop Cliff.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: Well yeah maybe but there's a shidt load of Leupolds out there is my point.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.