Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I want to get into some predator hunting this winter, I'm in central B.C. so the main targets would be coyote, wolf and lynx. I'll be snowshoing and I just want something simple, effective and affordable. My max is $350CDN, what do you experts recommend. Ive looked at foxpro wildfireII, primos alpha dogg, etc. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my Wildfire II .....the remote is a pain in the A$$ at night if your vision isn't great.... Then again, I've only used it once and got alot of crows to come in and a Grey Fox.... good luck in your decision.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only brand I've owned was FoxPro.
Had two of em. It seems to me they're like computers in that they "update" so often that they're soon obsolete and can't be serviced.
I went back to hand calls. No more dead battery's and if reeds are freezing I just put a couple of extras in my pocket.

A pocketful of hand calls meets your criteria to a tea. "simple, effective, and affordable"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put together your own E-Caller. It's so simple and fun to do and when you kill the schitt out of a bunch of dogs, very satisfying.

It costs less than 100$, even with my "new and improved" El Cheapo.

[Linked Image]

Instructions to build El Cheapo with FREE sounds to download

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Only brand I've owned was FoxPro.
Had two of em. It seems to me they're like computers in that they "update" so often that they're soon obsolete and can't be serviced.
I went back to hand calls. No more dead battery's and if reeds are freezing I just put a couple of extras in my pocket.

A pocketful of hand calls meets your criteria to a tea. "simple, effective, and affordable"

What mix of calls would you recommend for those three animals.

Last edited by mod7rem; 12/20/14.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never hunted Lynx or Wolf but I know that Coyotes can't resist the old tried and true Rabbit distress. Coyote vocals (howls) work good at certain times of the year too if you can master a howler.
Like I said "no personal experience with Wolves" but the guys that I know around here that have actually killed a few like fawn bleats and Coyote howls. (Wolves hate Coyotes but I'm sure you knew that).
Not Lynx but I've called quite a few Bobcat over the years with high pitched cottontail sounds. The higher the better. Matter of fact, the last Cat I called, all I had with me was one of those squeaker bulbs.

Luck

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E-Callers start and end with Foxpro

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Put together your own E-Caller. It's so simple and fun to do and when you kill the schitt out of a bunch of dogs, very satisfying.

It costs less than 100$, even with my "new and improved" El Cheapo.

[Linked Image]

Instructions to build El Cheapo with FREE sounds to download

I understand the appeal of building things yourself, I've spent most of my life with that mind set, but as I get older I've gotten to the point I'd rather spend more money and get something already developed into a nice, proven package. But thanks for the tip and links, its tempting;)

This morning I bought a Foxpro Wildfire 2, the price was right and Ive read some good reviews of it. The info I cant find anywhere is what kind of range I can reasonably expect from the remote. If anyone has experience with this one pleaselet me know. I will still buy a couple hand calls for the pockets as well.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
M7,
You still should order up a hand call or two..
My favorite is the Tally Ho..
I have called a bunch of coyotes with this call in both Arizona and here in B.C.
Also called 4 wolves with the Tally Ho, 2 singles and a double..

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/tally-ho-predator-call-th1red/

Learn to lip squeak if you are in tight cover were there maybe a coyote near by..

If you have done your research you know that making your set-up is the most important aspect of a of a good stand..

Good luck and don't be discouraged if you miss the first few coyotes that come charging into your call..

Last edited by Nrut; 12/20/14.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start out with handcalls and save your money for gas, at least for now.

I think starting with handcalls makes a person a better predator hunter over the long haul. You'll learn to pick good stands and have less things to monkey around with when on a stand by going with a handcall only.

After you learn the ropes and if you find pred hunting really is for you, you can always buy an ecall down the road.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Nrut, I'll definately be picking up some hand calls, probably a tally ho now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a CritR-Call too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan Thompson's PC3 is a great call as well as is the Zepp Rattler.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 2crow

The PC3 is all good

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bea175
E-Callers start and end with Foxpro

I used to believe that also until I bought a Wildlife MA21 and am calling in 3x the amount of animals that I did with FoxPro's. IMO there is no comparison in sound quality between the 2 brands.

Last edited by Ghostman; 12/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2crow

Originally Posted by Lonny
Get a CritR-Call too.

There's some mighty fart smellers around here although they forgot about Weems.
And the Circe, one of the best cat calls ever.
[Linked Image]

Dan's PC3 is excellent for Cats in heavy cover.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I prefer the critter gitter to all other hand calls. I dislike the Tally Ho- for me it is too hard to get soft sounds out of it with that monster reed. I have killed a pile of stuff with a Circe- lots of bears and some lions.

I still have a Foxpro- 15 years old. Wish I had a new one with a lot more sounds. I don't like calling lions and bears solo with a mouth call. Too many have snuck up on me from behind!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I want to get into some predator hunting this winter, I'm in central B.C. so the main targets would be coyote, wolf and lynx. I'll be snowshoing and I just want something simple, effective and affordable. My max is $350CDN, what do you experts recommend. Ive looked at foxpro wildfireII, primos alpha dogg, etc. Thanks.

no need to spend more than $100.00 on an e caller there are thousands of these callers used for sale now google coyote callers for sale and you will find a nice $500.00 caller for cheap, n=most guys get lured into buying this stuff and then never call in a mouse let alone a coyote, also wait until you get 5 or 6 kills then you will know whether you really want to hunt for the dog. I bought a power dogg 5 years ago for $89.00 still have it and have killed a tuck load of coyotes with it.

Last edited by prkrgrp; 12/28/14.

M2D the science behind deception
T
T
FieldGrade, that photo brings back lots of good memories. Called in and killed lots of coyotes using Weems and Circe calls.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

721 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.