Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Killer's parents plead for his life in Colorado theater shooting case

By SADIE GURMAN
Associated Press
December 20, 2014

COLORADO Denver � The parents of Colorado theater shooting suspect James Holmes begged Friday for his life to be spared through a plea bargain � a move that rekindled the long-running, emotional debate about whether the horrific details of the mass killing should be played out at his upcoming trial.

The statement released by Robert and Arlene Holmes emphasized a key legal issue in the tortured history of the case � James Holmes' mental state when he killed 12 people and injured 70 others, and whether he should die if convicted of the crime.

�He is a human being gripped by a severe mental illness,� the parents wrote in just their second public comments since the 2012 attack. �We have always loved him, and we do not want him to be executed.�

Prosecutors previously rejected at least one proposed plea deal made by attorneys for Holmes, criticizing the lawyers for publicizing the offer and calling it a ploy meant to draw the public and the judge into what should be private negotiations.

They said the proposal could not be considered genuine because the defense repeatedly refused to give them information needed to evaluate it. No details were provided on the information but attorneys previously argued in court about access to details concerning Holmes' mental health.

Defense attorneys don't deny he was the shooter but say he was in the grips of a psychotic episode.

Survivors, relatives respond to statement

The comments by Holmes' parents incensed some survivors of the attack and relatives of those killed. They questioned the timing as 9,000 jury summonses were being delivered for the trial.

�To give a person who committed such a calculated, horrific crime a life sentence, to me that's like giving him a slap on the wrist,� said Marcus Weaver, who was shot in the arm and whose friend, Rebecca Wingo, died in the attack.

The prospect of a long court battle troubled victim Pierce O'Farrill, who was shot three times.

He said he would welcome an agreement that imprisons Holmes for life and did not see how a possible death penalty would �bring peace to anybody, whether it's justice or not.�

�Life in prison, throw away the key, and he doesn't see the light of day again and we move on.� O'Farrill said of a possible plea deal, noting he has forgiven Holmes.

Associated Press

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm for it.

Of course mommy doesn't want her son killed. No shock there.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He said he would welcome an agreement that imprisons Holmes for life and did not see how a possible death penalty would �bring peace to anybody, whether it's justice or not.�

It will bring 'peace' knowing we aren't spending another dime of people's money on him.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why imprison a person who cannot be rehabilitated to where he can be released back into society? The death penalty seems appropriate to me in this case. We'd be listening to the same arguments in the Adam Lanza case were it not for him having chosen the cowards way out by committing suicide. Both were coherent enough to make and carry out plans for their evil deeds and should not be allowed to hide behind the insanity defense.

Last edited by gunswizard; 12/20/14.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, he should. Even if he's crazier than a chithouse rat. Execution is the only guaranteed way that he'll never harm anyone else.

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 12/20/14.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We euthanize pets with better temperaments.

We've executed deserters on the spot.

We cant guarantee he will never enjoy another day of happiness if hes alive which is what I would like, since the families of the dead probably wont.

The only way to do that is if he pays the complete price.

Some things in life are and will remain abit distasteful. But necessary.

Last edited by WillARights; 12/20/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm for it. And it has nothing to do with keeping people safe. I just think he needs to die.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Charles Manson comes up parole review every few years. What's to keep them from turning him loose? If they'd executed him 30 years ago, there would be no risk.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yup!

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
If mass murders do not qualify for a death penalty, then why have it?
Absolutely, yes.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yes, and quickly, before some azzwipe like obama pardons him

Sam......

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Under Colorado law, in order to be not guilty by reason of insanity, you must be so far gone you do not know your actions were wrong.

He knew what he was doing was wrong, and should be executed.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
If mass murders do not qualify for a death penalty, they why have it.
Absolutely, yes.

of course, down under, you guys don't execute anyone, for any reason, right?

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
yes, and quickly, before some azzwipe like obama pardons him

He's a white boy no pardon for him

Yes execute

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Execution are a very expensive proposition. I oppose the death penalty on cost grounds, not moral grounds - I've got no problem wit the death penalty for certain cases, but do not like the 7 figure cost. Given the US legal system, it takes a decade or more to carry out a death sentence.

A cheaper alternative would be life without parole and keeping the convicted on a tight leash (no movement with the prison).

Here's a summary of the costs: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have already been executed stop dragging your stinking feet.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 64 invisible), 3,038 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.