Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've enjoyed shooting various semiauto pistols. They're quick to reload with their magazine and fun to burn through the ammo.

However, now that I'm starting to get involved in reloading and buying components, I find myself price conscious regarding shooting.

Like, that damn semiauto pistol is flinging the brass I just bought all over the place and I hope to find most of it!

So while shooting the semiautoes are still fun, I'm also thinking about the brass I'm losing while shooting.

Perhaps the component shortages has me being too much of a tightwad?

Serious thinking of shooting my revolvers more often as I don't lose any brass. They're not quite as quick to reload so don't burn through your ammo as fast but still fun.

Anyone else ever have these type thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like em all. I used to try and find every last piece of brass flung by my pistols, and still do, but I got past the obsession. 9mm, 40 and 45 brass is usually available in large quantities and I have a bunch laid in if I need more.

Rifle brass, now that's another story.....

Regards,

Tom
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy ot build a brass catcher and some of your problem is solved.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leo,
Reloading causes us all to be more conscious of where our brass goes. I can't tell you how many times I have dug around in leaves out in the woods looking for ONE piece of brass after shooting a deer. Kind of like you, I enjoy shooting my revolvers as I never lose any brass. (Not the only reason; I guess I am just a wheel-gun guy.) I only shoot 9mm in semi-auto and don't worry about the brass quite as much since I don't reload 9mm. I may have to start though with the increase in ammunition cost lately.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've had that thought ever since I bought a Steyr 1912 about fifteen years ago. Up to that point, I never realized, or anyway, never worried too much about the brass I was losing with a semi-auto. Availability (or lack)of brass tends to put things in a different light.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to worry about losing my semi auto brass, not anymore.
I buy once fired by the thousands from the classified here on the campfire, 45 acp @$70.00 per 1k or 9mm for $35.
Also on the mountain above my house there are several spots frequented by shooters and usually they leave behind plenty.
Although not as much as before the shortage.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Back in the day, I found a good, smooth DA revolver could be shot as fast as a semi auto pistol. And with every bit as much fun. A guy named McGivern made quite a reputation for himself with some of them.
Semi autos, I have found also beat up the brass a good bit as well. After a while, if used in very accurate pistols, it can lead to a failure to feed or other such problems. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by leomort
I've enjoyed shooting various semiauto pistols. They're quick to reload with their magazine and fun to burn through the ammo.

However, now that I'm starting to get involved in reloading and buying components, I find myself price conscious regarding shooting.

Like, that damn semiauto pistol is flinging the brass I just bought all over the place and I hope to find most of it!

So while shooting the semiautoes are still fun, I'm also thinking about the brass I'm losing while shooting.

Perhaps the component shortages has me being too much of a tightwad?

Serious thinking of shooting my revolvers more often as I don't lose any brass. They're not quite as quick to reload so don't burn through your ammo as fast but still fun.

Anyone else ever have these type thoughts?

Finding the brass is a down side of semi autos.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475

Finding the brass is a down side of semi autos.

Yep.

Just part of doing business with them.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Agreed. Like some others have posted, I just accept the fact that some brass will inevitably get lost at every range session. Rather than worry about it, I just make sure I've got PLENTY of brass on hand for reloading purposes, and don't worry about the few I miss whilst grovelling around in the mud on my knees...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand what you're saying. I wait till I'm all done shooting then I make my kids hunt for brass. They're in their 20's and I handload their ammo so it's the least they can do. They have better eyesight and better backs than I do anyway.

Helps to have LOTS of brass. I don't worry about losing a case now and then.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude

An M1 Garand defies those things.... grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lastround
Leo,
Reloading causes us all to be more conscious of where our brass goes. I can't tell you how many times I have dug around in leaves out in the woods looking for ONE piece of brass after shooting a deer. Kind of like you, I enjoy shooting my revolvers as I never lose any brass. (Not the only reason; I guess I am just a wheel-gun guy.) I only shoot 9mm in semi-auto and don't worry about the brass quite as much since I don't reload 9mm. I may have to start though with the increase in ammunition cost lately.

since i started with revolvers, i have had that thought since the 70's.
I spent a good amount of time in october looking for the casing that smoked a deer. Can't help it.
On the other hand since i have been picking up others brass for a lot of years i kind of laugh at brass shortages.
a lot of people around here will throw a plastic tarp on the ground when using semiauto's, it does help.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys! Glad to know that I wasn't the only one thinking along these lines.

And yes, I guess that's the price one pays when shooting a semi auto pistol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by derby_dude

An M1 Garand defies those things.... grin

Ain't that the truth! grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been of a similar mindset for years, generally avoiding semiautos. That's changed in recent years and I've been shooting semiautos more. As others have said, if you keep plenty of brass on hand losing a few here and there isn't bad. I used to spend a lot more time looking for every last case, but not so much now.

I do most of my shooting in the winter and snow on the ground can really make finding cases interesting...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Losing some brass wouldn't dissuade me in the least for my full appreciation of semi-auto handguns.

Of course I have some that I appreciate so much that I won't even shoot them. ~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Throw down a tarp or old blanket to find your brass if your outdoors.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
http://brassmagnet.com/

...comes compete with pretty porter....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RJM
http://brassmagnet.com/

...comes compete with pretty porter....

For $145, she better come with it... grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 713 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.