Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
LOL. True. My bad. Shoulda been more specific... The remaining two pounds was Jelly Bellies. laugh

Not a chance. No more than a pound and a half in JB's *grin* It's the little things in life...

grin

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Might not be enough magnification for you, but I use a pair Swarovski SLC 10x binos and carry a doubler with a small tripod. Small package and pretty light to carry.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Not sure if a Minox MD 62 ED qualifies as compact but it weighs about 2.5lbs with the very good 21-42 LER eyepiece.

This x10

Last edited by DuckScarer; 12/19/14.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by centershot
This year on several occasions I just could not make out horns on mule deer in the 1000-1500yd range and wished I had something to take a closer look after they were located with binos. I'm no trophy hunter but like to take a mature buck each year. I don't need to see every little sticker at a mile, but knowing that it's a decent buck would be nice.

Remember, these are the conditions that the OP is asking about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the ED50 is great for 1500 yards but in big country its just not enough scope.

I've used the ED50 in the area shown in the pic below on a few hunts for mule deer. This is near the Snake River and I see fellas from Idaho hunting here too.

Its over 2 miles to the opposing timbered draw. With 30x you can see critters but its tough to evaluate them. And the opposing draw is "close" compared to much of it!

Luckily I shot my buck at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
anchor,

Given that the OP is in S Idaho he might be glassing for mule deer over miles, literally. I've hunted the other side of the Snake River and you could spend days glassing the breaks. In fact, there are some groups that set-up in Idaho and glass across the Snake into Oregon. So although different than sheep hunting the opportunity for long distance glassing is still there.

I think Jordan's post is another good example of determining the distance and size of object before settling on a certain objective size. A 50mm isn't the best choice for antlers at 2 miles, at least not the ED50.

J

While this can be true, most of that kind of spotting is done from the truck or close to it. There is no shortage of hunters doing just that. I'm talking about a 3-4mile hike with a 1000 to 2000' of vertical mixed in. The type of hikes that most guys consider stupid then start hunting - spot and stalk style. This is what it takes to shoot a decent buck on 'open' hunts with any regularity. Every ounce counts when you put 3 or 4 days of that together. I have tried bigger spotters and from the truck they are awesome, but after the first day they get left in the truck. What I want is something compact yet good enough to be a useful piece of equipment. I don't expect any 50mm spotter to be brighter/better than an 80mm but the 80mm is useless because I will not carry it. I think the Nikon and Vortex 50mm spotters may be just right. Thanks for the opinions thus far.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my Leupold 15-30x50 never leaves my pack (unless I'm using it)

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your decision may be influenced by your physical capability. In the mountains I may be limited to one good stalk/day. I carry a 60 mm spotter w/ a light tripod because it increases the chance that I will expend my limited resources on good cause. You increase your chances of success w/ a good spotter.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Nikon ED50 with the best Nikon 13-40 FS eyepiece weighs
only 23oz. I just checked it on my scale. That is less than most all 42mm. binoculars.

So for toting with a light tripod, this is a great high-end choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Centershot,

It sounds like you've got your needs figured out well. I've done plenty of those 3-4 mile hikes with 2000' elevation change and more. Not sure that would stop me from carrying an 80mm in a good pack, but if those extra ounces break the camel's back then a 50mm sounds like a good option.

J

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mule deer, sheep, elk, chukar, blue grouse and lots of miles... Great pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Centershot,

It sounds like you've got your needs figured out well. I've done plenty of those 3-4 mile hikes with 2000' elevation change and more. Not sure that would stop me from carrying an 80mm in a good pack, but if those extra ounces break the camel's back then a 50mm sounds like a good option.

J

Agreed. If your heart is set on a 50, that little 50mm Razor is amazing for such a small scope.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: The older and no longer in production Leupold 20, 25 & 30 power fixed spotting scopes are what I prefer for my back pack/long trek Hunts.
Very clear and very light of weight for the money (have to buy them used nowadays but there are lots of them around).
I have a mini-tripod that weighs just a couple ounces but mostly use it from the prone position over my pack.
I have used these spotters when Hunting spring Bear, Antelope, Mt. Goat, Elk and Mule Deer.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think the ED50 is great for 1500 yards but in big country its just not enough scope.

I've used the ED50 in the area shown in the pic below on a few hunts for mule deer. This is near the Snake River and I see fellas from Idaho hunting here too.

Its over 2 miles to the opposing timbered draw. With 30x you can see critters but its tough to evaluate them. And the opposing draw is "close" compared to much of it!

Luckily I shot my buck at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ever look over there and hope you don't see a big buck? HaHa, That may have just convinced me that I don't need a Hubble telescope.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I see Bushnell has a similar offering the Legend Ultra HD 12-36x50, anyone seen one of these in person? Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.