Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by gmoats
Regarding grandkids; I can identify. I admit that having recently moved to a location somewhat remote from mine, I've become a little cavalier about leaving a loaded gun on the night stand----bad habit, I know.

I'm curious, Greg... why is having your pistol on your nightstand while you're sleeping a bad idea?

Maybe it's just me, but I find wearing my belt & holstered gun to bed interferes with my sleep�

�..not a problem at night---problem is occasionally during the day---when I get up and make coffee, sit down to read for awhile or when taking a shower or putzing around the place I sometimes leave it on the night stand--just a bad habit it get into.
Originally Posted by "DocRocket"

I don't pretend to be the smartest guy in the room, in fact a lot of times I'm pretty dim-witted; therefore if trouble comes my way, I'm better off not have hundred different options to choose from. By carrying ALL the time I've pretty much conditioned myself to only about three options. I'm too old to fight, in too bad a condition to run; that only leaves one more option and if need be I don't want to have to stop and think, "wait a minute, am I carrying today?"

I tend to agree.

�..with the part about me not being the smartest guy in the room and kinda dim-witted?? Oh wait��

Originally Posted by "DocRocket
"I've messed around with multiple carry options over the years, but have come to the basic conclusion that strongside belt carry is the best method 99% of the time. I have a cop friend who used to evaluate holsters for a gunzine, and one day he responded as backup to a call that turned into a gunfight... and the 10-15 seconds he spent trying to remember where his gun was while incoming bullets whizzed over his head and whacked into his car were not happy ones. Like many of the rest of us, he always carries his primary on his strongside belt all the time now.

Keeping loaded guns stashed around the house is an idea I've never cottoned to. My handgun is on my person or it's very close to hand when I'm not wearing it for various reasons (toilet, shower, sleeping, etc). All my other guns are locked up in the safe. That is the only form of gun control I trust.
Agreed.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

1. In the history of man, no one has ever been shot with an unloaded firearm, accidently or otherwise. Period.
2. The safety often touted as the �most important safety�, the human brain, is also the one most likely to fail � and often does.
3. The more a loaded firearm is handled the more likely an accidental/unintentional/negligent discharge is likely. Whatever the cause, the results can be the same.
4. Many such discharges occur when loading, unloading, or holstering a firearm, or retrieving a firearm from a holster and bringing it into play. I suspect these actions account for the vast majority of such discharges.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with these observations. I don't think they argue well either for or against carrying your defensive firearm with a round in the chamber.

The only point is that the slight disadvantage of not loading the chamber has some offsetting advantages as well. Is one more in danger because the chamber is loaded or because it is not. I contend it varies depending on circumstances.

I heard John Lott of "More Guns, Less Crime" fame on the radio today. He talked about the rate of assaults on cops as 9,300 per 100,000 cops, 40 times higher than for civilians. The rate of what he called "serious" injury was about 900+ per 100,000 for cops. This has a lot to do with their role in society and the work environment. If I was a cop I'd definitely carry with a round in the chamber.

The situation is similar for civilians - some engage in activities and spend time in environments where victimization is more a matter of when than if, while others limit their exposure and their chances of victimization are near zero.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My last recommendation would be to upgrade to one of the small 9mm compacts, which are basically the same size and feel as the PPK, in .380. My first choice in that size semi-auto would be the Kahr CM9 or the Sig Sauer Model 938 in 9mm. Both have great triggers and are very reliable, also.

I would like to second this motion, or whatever.

I am not a fan of the 380. In the past I thought it was a pretty decent cartridge, and some of the "street shootings" studies confirmed that. But as time passed and I was able to get access to stronger databases, I found that the 380 actually has a pretty poor record in actual shootings compared to any of the major service calibers.

I have also worked to some degree in LE training circles with guys who have done a LOT of ballistics testing, and have had access to their data. We're talking the ballisticians at ATK/Federal, Winchester-Western, FBI, CHP, and others. NONE of these guys endorse or carry 380 pistols. I've related on this site my experience at a LE conference a couple years back where we shot various cops' off-duty pistols into gelatin, through auto glass, through heavy clothing, etc, and all the 380 ammo we tested that day exhibited a high degree of suckage.

There is really no need to carry a 380 when multiple manufacturers make 9mm pistols that are as compact and at least as reliable as the compact 380's. You get the MUCH greater performance of the 9x19 cartridge in the same size package as most 380's, without the egregious ballistic suckage.

I carry a Kahr PM9 as my "always" gun or my BUG. The Ruger LC9 is similarly sized and to my mind equally good, as is the S&W Shield and other subcompact 9mm's.

A Sig 938 is high on my wish list and has been since they came out. In the meantime, my current .380 ammo is a handloaded 80g Magtech HP chronoing 948fps. If the Barnes and Doubletap ammo using the Barnes 80g bullet perform well that will likely become the ammo of choice for carry purposes.

One thing I really like about the .380 it its manageability. The low recoil allows accurate placement of follow-up shots faster than with my 9mm or .45. Any use is likely to be at very close range so that may be a moot point. With cold weather I've been carrying my 9mm (Browning BDM) more often, too. I have Barnes ammo on the shelf for it too, pending testing. In the meantime my9mm load are 115g Gold Dot/XTP @ 1252fps per the chrono.

Of course the .380 easily beats nothing at all by a considerable margin. So does my Beretta 950B with it's puny 35g Gold Dot and XTP bullets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

. . . a quick look at what you wrote notes that you've bolstered your opinions on errant probabilities and irrelevant statistics and combined a lot of vague immeasurability's.

For a person inclined to do so, this sentence could be posted legitimately about 50 times a day on the Hunters Campfire forum. That is approaching signature material (with one grammatical correction). Bravo.

As far as the topic is concerned, I don't recall ever carrying a firearm for personal protection with an empty chamber, whether semi-auto or revolver. I like the KISS principle, where it goes bang when I pull the trigger. I do adjust the hardware to meet what I consider to be an adequate level of safety for the particular type of carry.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Before my daughter left away for college I picked up a HK P7. It is quick, compact, accurate, will feed anything, and a very safe weapon to carry ready to go (round chambered). It requires the shooter to squeeze the grip to fire, relaxing the grip renders it safe. After I taught her the basics (how the pistol functions, got her some trigger time with it, how to disassemble/resemble and maintain it) I sent her to Gunsite for a week of training. She had always been around guns taking her first whitetail at 9 and shooting trap weekly with her grandfather, however I wanted her to be completely confident with the handgun. The gun and training weren't cheap, but I now have peace of mind knowing she has the basic tools to keep herself safe when I cannot be there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does everybody get this worked up when they see a stranger not wearing their seatbelt or smoking? Because statistically speaking, those are probably more dangerous than carrying cold.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Of course if they post about it on the Internet.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The OP sounds kinda like my Nephew. He asked me what to get his wife for CC. I've given the same suggestion dozens of times. An aluminum framed J frame S&W 38 Special with a fully enclosed hammer. A 642 or a 442. If single action is important to you, get the 638 or 38.

Nope, he gets her a Kimber 1911 with all the bells and whistles. Of course, she rarely shoots it and never carries it. Last month he finally bought her a 642. She still isn't shooting enough but at least she's carrying. I don't have anything against a 380 ---- if she can rack the slide.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do you think the assault on cop stats are mostly when engaged with job duties, or are they out of the blue attacks.
getting attacked walking out of the gas station is much different than if you are dealing with someone professionally.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
...Not likely to need�. Relatively high crime area...In 40 years there is only one instance...avoid any place I think might be problematic...The chances of me needing a gun are slim...In the very few instances...In only one was there any potential...Plenty of time to call the cops...I rarely carried...Now I rarely leave the house without a gun...

CH, I don't mean to be (or sound) contentious�..your carrying habits are no one else's business. Having said that, a quick look at what you wrote notes that you've bolstered your opinions on errant probabilities and irrelevant statistics and combined a lot of vague immeasurability's. You can attempt to determine the "probability" of needing a weapon based on your location, time of day, etc. however in today's world of martial exchanges the concept of "randomness" makes most other forms of logic and all forms of probability moot. ,,,

You are right, my carry habits are no one's business but mine, although I welcome well-intentioned suggestions and civil discussion. I've been wrong three or four times in my life and was once persuaded to change my mind. wink

As to your statement above, I whole-heartedly agree that life is full of "vague immeasurability". That is why we use historical data (statistics) to assess probabilities.

Going back to my unanswered question about where you would go if intent on becoming a successful dry-land corn farmer and were in the process of choosing suitable land. Would you ignore average soil conditions, days and hours of sunshine, temperature statistics (highs, lows, daily average and so on), rainfall statistics (average number of days, average amounts and length of rain season, etc.) or would you just go find the cheapest ground you could find without considering the adequacy of the soil or growing conditions? My guess is, as an intelligent person, you would pay a great deal of attention to statistical information in your decision process - and although there would be no guarantees, your risks would be substantially reduced as a result. You would, in effect, be using jpw475's "crystal ball".

When you quote me above you take phrases out of context. When in context most are tightly qualified. You claim the concept of "randomness" makes it impossible to assess potential dangers. Not so. When driving in my car (mostly interstate to work and back) the chances of a random act of violence against me, while possible, are statistically pretty slim.

You may think statistics are moot but this crime map suggests this might be an area to avoid, particularly in the dark hours: http://spotcrime.com/co/denver/five+points

Ignore the crime map and try walking the Five Points area of Denver late at night, unarmed. You might wish you were safe at home...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
...Not likely to need�. Relatively high crime area...In 40 years there is only one instance...avoid any place I think might be problematic...The chances of me needing a gun are slim...In the very few instances...In only one was there any potential...Plenty of time to call the cops...I rarely carried...Now I rarely leave the house without a gun...

CH, I don't mean to be (or sound) contentious�..your carrying habits are no one else's business. Having said that, a quick look at what you wrote notes that you've bolstered your opinions on errant probabilities and irrelevant statistics and combined a lot of vague immeasurability's. You can attempt to determine the "probability" of needing a weapon based on your location, time of day, etc. however in today's world of martial exchanges the concept of "randomness" makes most other forms of logic and all forms of probability moot. ,,,

You are right, my carry habits are no one's business but mine, although I welcome well-intentioned suggestions and civil discussion. I've been wrong three or four times in my life and was once persuaded to change my mind. wink

As to your statement above, I whole-heartedly agree that life is full of "vague immeasurability". That is why we use historical data (statistics) to assess probabilities.

Going back to my unanswered question about where you would go if intent on becoming a successful dry-land corn farmer and were in the process of choosing suitable land. Would you ignore average soil conditions, days and hours of sunshine, temperature statistics (highs, lows, daily average and so on), rainfall statistics (average number of days, average amounts and length of rain season, etc.) or would you just go find the cheapest ground you could find without considering the adequacy of the soil or growing conditions? My guess is, as an intelligent person, you would pay a great deal of attention to statistical information in your decision process - and although there would be no guarantees, your risks would be substantially reduced as a result. You would, in effect, be using jpw475's "crystal ball".

When you quote me above you take phrases out of context. When in context most are tightly qualified. You claim the concept of "randomness" makes it impossible to assess potential dangers. Not so. When driving in my car (mostly interstate to work and back) the chances of a random act of violence against me, while possible, are statistically pretty slim.

You may think statistics are moot but this crime map suggests this might be an area to avoid, particularly in the dark hours: http://spotcrime.com/co/denver/five+points

Ignore the crime map and try walking the Five Points area of Denver late at night, unarmed. You might wish you were safe at home...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Coyote Hunter...

I gotta confess, I barely skimmed your last 3 posts. I'm not going to get bogged down in the minutiae of your statistical probabilities, however much you might enjoy them. Please continue to enjoy without me.

But I will address one small point of the issue of why carrying/keeping your defensive firearm with an empty chamber, and yes, to some extent it's a statistical thing.

I recently read an internet blog on defensive firearms training by a guy who I know really, really knows his stuff. He did an interesting study to find out what specific firearms skills are used most by civilians in defensive shootings. His source was the stories published in the American Rifleman magazine's "Armed Citizen" column each month.

Our author found that the Number One skill that civilian defensive shooters fall down in is accessing a loaded gun with which to defend themselves. The Number Two problem is getting off a good first shot on their assailant.

This author found that people who successfully defended themselves often had very little time to access their firearm and to deploy it. When using a handgun, the gun was (Number Three point) most often fired one-handed due to time and distance constraints.

Now, I don't know about you, but I do practice drawing and shooting one-handed, and I do practice actually racking the slide of my pistols one-handed (it's not an easy skill to improvise, you need to practice it). I figured out a long time ago that if there's even a remote chance that my defensive firearm is going to need to be deployed one-handed, in a hurry, I'd best have a round in the chamber before the fight starts as I might not have time nor an extra hand free to rack a slide prior to commencing hostilities.

Just my humble. You go ahead and carry on however you want to.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Maybe I'm different than some others here, but I almost never handle my gun when it's loaded so I don't worry about ND's. I where it in a belt holster every day. At night, I slide the holster off the belt and put the gun (in holster) on the nightstand. In the morning, I reverse the process. The gun is always loaded unless I'm cleaning it or shooting it dry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyote Hunter...

This author found that people who successfully defended themselves often had very little time to access their firearm and to deploy it. When using a handgun, the gun was (Number Three point) most often fired one-handed due to time and distance constraints.

I have found this to be true, and dedicate a large amount of my practice to one handed firing.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
Coyote Hunter...

I have found this to be true, and dedicate a large amount of my practice to one handed firing.

Of course it is true.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will agree with JWP. say you shot a deer and all of a sudden a bear is coming at 30 MPH and you whip out the auto. OOPS need to rack it because it is empty. Yeah sure, you will point to get a click. Guns need to be loaded or it is a hunk of iron when needed. I do not carry but shoot all the time in my woods. I live where there is no danger and everyone around here knows how I shoot so a crook fears coming around. I can actually go away and leave the house open, like the old days.
But if I had to carry, damned sure there is a load in the gun. I prefer a revolver anyway.
Had a friend to shoot his 1911 and it would not chamber from the mag. I found he did not size and the front band did not enter the barrel unless the mag was removed and the slide was not slowed by stripping rounds. Not a gun to carry.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I will agree with JWP. say you shot a deer and all of a sudden a bear is coming at 30 MPH and you whip out the auto. OOPS need to rack it because it is empty. Yeah sure, you will point to get a click. Guns need to be loaded or it is a hunk of iron when needed. I do not carry but shoot all the time in my woods. I live where there is no danger and everyone around here knows how I shoot so a crook fears coming around. I can actually go away and leave the house open, like the old days.
But if I had to carry, damned sure there is a load in the gun. I prefer a revolver anyway.
Had a friend to shoot his 1911 and it would not chamber from the mag. I found he did not size and the front band did not enter the barrel unless the mag was removed and the slide was not slowed by stripping rounds. Not a gun to carry.

The more realistic situation would be I shoot a deer and have NO handgun to pull to defend against the bear - I don't carry a handgun when rifle hunting.

My carrying with an empty chamber provides me with opportunity you don't have when not carrying at all.

Whether the time required to chamber a round will ever make a difference is one that can only be answered in my future - and may well never be answered.

Some here discount statistical history then cite statistics in their argument that only a loaded chamber makes sense. They also discount my individual situation and base their argument on the situation of others, which is often quite different.

As I pointed out earlier, carrying with an empty chamber allows me to treat my DA/SA and SA pistols the same - rack and shoot. No need to fiddle with safeties which work in opposite directions nor to think about which pistol I am carrying and treat it accordingly. A single manual of arms has advantages manifested in both simplicity and time.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tried the Barnes XPD ammo in three guns today, my .380, 9mm and .45. No problems with any of them.

I've already switched out the ammo in my mags for the .380 and .45, will do the 9mm as soon as I get more of the Barnes ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Hope you don't learn the hard way that an empty chamber is a bad idea on a personal defense weapon.

Spot on John!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An empty chamber is a dead man's gun.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.