-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some good reading about the privatization of land and wildlife for those who care to catch a clue. Took all of 1hr on google to come up with a few links.

http://www.nwf.org/sportsmen/access-and-opportunity.aspx

http://buffalo.uwex.edu/files/2011/01/Privatization-and-Commercialization-Huntings-Nemesis.pdf

http://www.mysecuritysign.com/blog/private-property-encroaches-hunting-lands/

Clearly if you can read and have a minimal amount of reading comprehension, you can see that outfitters are diligently trying to privatize hunting..If you give money to an outfitter you are essentially paying them to further limit your hunting access in the future.. Texas is a glaring example of the privatization of hunting..

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7463965/1

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...ource=block_801085&utm_campaign=blox

http://www.plwa.org/viewarticle.php?id=158

Please, please think twice and know how your money is gonna be used before you spend it with an outfitter. Our children, grandchildren, and the future of hunting are depending on it!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read these posts and count my blessings that I live in New England. We can drive down a road and park the truck, and unless the property is posted, just go hunting. Private OR state lands, it really doesn't matter. Course, it's always advantageous to seek out the landowner and get permission. I am lucky not to have to jump through the hoops some of you have to just to go hunting. And I also count my blessings that I am just about 70 and in great condition. I probably will be dead before "pay to hunt" invades NH. All we have to do is keep the flatlander's way of thinking out.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by srwshooter
va. whitetails ,private land.
How did you get access to that private land? Buy it yourself or pay for a lease/club membership? Either way, many folks would consider that paying to kill a whitetail.

by being friends with land onwers. there are people in this world that just let you hunt .i only belong to one hunt club. i pay 300 per year for 2500 acres jut to extend my season. the county i live in only has 2 weeks of rifle season for deer . the county my club is in has a 7week season. the other hunt club that i hunt on i have never payed to hunt. owner is a friend.

I'm with ya on that one pointer, I would consider that paying to kill a whitetail.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have pretty much the same freedom where I hunt. Most all the land is federal forest, state land or timber corporation/CFA land. Private land is mostly small parcels just big enough to have a cabin on. Most people who buy land here are local and don't buy big chunks because they don't need it unless they have a farm. Although things do change.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I read these posts and count my blessings that I live in New England. We can drive down a road and park the truck, and unless the property is posted, just go hunting. Private OR state lands, it really doesn't matter. Course, it's always advantageous to seek out the landowner and get permission. I am lucky not to have to jump through the hoops some of you have to just to go hunting. And I also count my blessings that I am just about 70 and in great condition. I probably will be dead before "pay to hunt" invades NH. All we have to do is keep the flatlander's way of thinking out.

Yup.

I'd probably pay to hunt whitetails somewhere but it would have to be vastly different from what I have here in Maine.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDK

Yup.

I'd probably pay to hunt whitetails somewhere but it would have to be vastly different from what I have here in Maine.

+1

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You folks that live in states where you can just decide where you want to hunt, park the truck, and go hunting are very lucky. Here in AL ALL land is "posted." If you're hunting without WRITTEN PERMISSION on your person from the landowner, you're trespassing. Landowners aint giving out permission very freely around here. For a myriad of reasons...liability...they want to hunt it for themselves...they don't like hunting, or don't like people killing "their pet deer"...because "why give away something you can make money on"...because they're using it for other purposes...because "if I give you permission I have to give everyone permission"...whatever...all valid reasons. Here you have to either pay to join a club, or hunt with the great unwashed masses on the Wildlife Management Area or in the National Forrest. The Management Areas only have a few gun days a year, the rest is bowhunting only. Gun days have the woods full of yahoos and generally unsafe IMHO. Not to mention the fact that you have no idea where anybody will be, and you may put up a stand within 50 yards of someone else, or have them walk in on you. Or, you may walk up on a meth lab.

I have at times had access to private land by permission without need to pay, and always take advantage of it when it's available, but such access is always fleeting, and I like to hunt when I want to hunt. My best friend had access to the same 100 acres to hunt on for over 30 years. He made many improvements to the land for hunting, all good and with permission. The landowner suddenly pulled his permission last season in favor of a family member that wanted to access it a couple of times a year to hunt. It was his place to hunt. There was no offer to let him pay, or to have him allow the family member access to hunt when he wanted...just gone, like a fart in the wind after 30+ years. He'd never paid to be in a club. Now, he has to. And he was forced to join one in haste this year in order to have a place to hunt.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem
You folks that live in states where you can just decide where you want to hunt, park the truck, and go hunting are very lucky. Here in AL ALL land is "posted." If you're hunting without WRITTEN PERMISSION on your person from the landowner, you're trespassing. Landowners aint giving out permission very freely around here. For a myriad of reasons...liability...they want to hunt it for themselves...they don't like hunting, or don't like people killing "their pet deer"...because "why give away something you can make money on"...because they're using it for other purposes...because "if I give you permission I have to give everyone permission"...whatever...all valid reasons. Here you have to either pay to join a club, or hunt with the great unwashed masses on the Wildlife Management Area or in the National Forrest. The Management Areas only have a few gun days a year, the rest is bowhunting only. Gun days have the woods full of yahoos and generally unsafe IMHO. Not to mention the fact that you have no idea where anybody will be, and you may put up a stand within 50 yards of someone else, or have them walk in on you. Or, you may walk up on a meth lab.

I have at times had access to private land by permission without need to pay, and always take advantage of it when it's available, but such access is always fleeting, and I like to hunt when I want to hunt. My best friend had access to the same 100 acres to hunt on for over 30 years. He made many improvements to the land for hunting, all good and with permission. The landowner suddenly pulled his permission last season in favor of a family member that wanted to access it a couple of times a year to hunt. It was his place to hunt. There was no offer to let him pay, or to have him allow the family member access to hunt when he wanted...just gone, like a fart in the wind after 30+ years. He'd never paid to be in a club. Now, he has to. And he was forced to join one in haste this year in order to have a place to hunt.

Alabama sounds just like Hell! I hope never to go there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Alabama sounds just like Hell! I hope never to go there.

You are spot on. Please spread the word to your friends, family and neighbors. There is nothing to see here. Please move along now.

For the op, I seriously doubt I would ever pay for a guided white-tail hunt. We lease land as well as hunt private land. We pay year round, mainly in habitat management and improvement. Trucks, tractors, equipment, seed, fertilizer, etc. adds up. We do it because we enjoy it and it is just a part of life around here. Getting that shot at a trophy whitetail is just an added bonus.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My last paid hunt was in Texas for hogs, I paid 300 bucks for a day to kill any and all the hogs I wanted. I ended up shooting two hogs, but had two city slicker brother in laws with me. They never even been close to any kind of hunt ever. The price of admission was worth showing them what hunting was about. And as a side bonus i came home with about 150 lbs of pork at about 3 bucks a pound.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There have been some excellent points made. I look at it as a way to see something new. I know that the chance of me killing a "big" buck by b.c. standards is low where I live, so to up my odds I can go somewhere where the probability is higher if I want to do that. (Although it seems like every year there are more big ones being killed around here.) On the other side of that coin... I have friends in Maine that have shot big deer, but they spend some of their coin to come to Tennessee to see numbers of deer.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
for me the questiois not pay to kill but pay to hunt... There are places I would pay to hunt because I would like to hunt their.. i.e. Canada, Texas, Nebraska... To me it would not be about killing a giant deer but the adventure of going there and hunting - seeing new things...

I live in TN but have hunted in Montana and Wyoming two ties each.... and each time it was as much or more about the adventure than the actualy kill

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I buy a license every year. That counts to some degree.

Other than that, I can't see paying for permission to hunt or kill on someone else's property for whitetails, or much else. There's great public land options out there, but you have to work for them. I enjoy the hunt, so that's the route I take.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have in the in the past and may probably again. As we have aged several in my group of friends have developed some health issues that make a strenuous hunt pretty much out of the question.. A couple of years ago we went on a management hunt on a plantation type of operation . Was it the most challenging hunt of our lives ? No but we all spent 3 days in good company talking about our past adventures , guns and what we expected the next day to bring. It was a nice trip and we all ended up with a fat doe for our freezer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read these posts and count my blessings that I live in New England. We can drive down a road and park the truck, and unless the property is posted, just go hunting. Private OR state lands, it really doesn't matter.

Same here in where I live in WV. If it's not posted or fenced it's legal hunting.
PAID for a hunt a few times down south with very liberal bag limits and a guy/guide that could get us onto good hunting areas. TWO deer per day and there were plenty of them. We came home with full truckloads of deer.
LOTS OF FUN. I'd do it again.
YMMV.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I guess I depends what the whitetail did...

If he "rubbed out" my family - yeah I'd pay to have him taken out.

.. OH WAIT a minute - you mean for me too shoot one ...
um.. Nah..

That is unless I want to shoot one with a massive rack.
DOH!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have, and will continue to pay trespass/lease fees to hunt private land whitetails and mule deer in Texas. Helps keep the idiots out of the way.

+1
I travel with friends to Texas each year for 7 days of hassle free hunting on a 2500 acre lease, over the years we have made many friends there and enjoyed good old Texas hospitality, it is well worth the cost of the lease.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For us it was fun to hunt as group (12-14 hunters) and enjoy the party and much like going riding bikes on a week end.

Some of the group were small business owners and literally could not get away to do scouting for trophy bucks and the buck of a lifetime so opted for a meat hunt with good friends.

N
N
In Northeastern North Carolina if you don't belong to a hunting club or a land owner you can figure you aren't going to do much hunting not unless you travel to a state game land. And the state game lands are over hunted with very little game. I decided years ago to join a hunting club. and yes the dues are quite expensive and not including a ATV, rifles ammo, and other items. Yes you pay every time you leave for a day hunt.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Srwshooter: I have paid to Hunt Moose and have paid a tresspass fee to Hunt Antelope and Wild Hogs.
I have paid a fee to Hunt on a private ranch for Mule Deer a few times but not for Whitetail as yet.
I am not averse to paying tresspass fees but DO NOT like to do so.
I have killed Whitetails in four states now and especially here in Montana MUCH of the better Whitetail Hunting is on private ranches/lands.
I have a couple of close friends who have and are contemplating MORE "paid" Hunts for Whitetails in Canada - and this endeavor entails some BIG money for Americans!
So the direct answer from me to your inquiry "will you ever pay to kill a Whitetail" is, maybe/probably.
By the way the huge private ranch I have killed NICE Whitetail Bucks on this year and last is not open to Hunters (even those offering to pay!) except by VERY Limited invitation - I feel blessed and give thanks for this privilege.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.