24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I last shot/hunted with a bow when I was 14 or 15 so about 20 years ago. Can't seem to draw any tags and open hunts (rifle) just don't afford me the time to be successful due to distance and work requirements. Archery has far more options available and, of course, fewer hunters which is always a bonus! Not to mention the areas I've hunted the last couple of years have been bow range type of cover (took the Ruger SBH and open sighted 77/44 this year).

Was looking at going more entry level like a Surge but decided to upgrade a bit. Couldn't find a single negative review on this bow anywhere. Went with the RTH package deal figuring I could upgrade components later...already did. smirk. Bought a new release last night (Truefire Hardcore Max) and ordered a QAD HDX today.

Anyway, bow came in Tuesday and I wasn't able to get off work before dark all week so I went all Dan Adair and shot inside the house--about 10 yards! (Maybe we should keep that on the DL...).

I REALLY like this bow and am amazed at how far tech has come. My old one as kid was a Bear single wheel or maybe even an old Indian(?)...can't remember. Shot with fingers and those big ole rubber finger guards on the string! smile I do remember missing a nice 6 pt because I hadn't practiced enough from my knees (and maybe a touch of buck fever...grin).

This thing is smooth, fast and quiet with no shock I can feel. I think it will serve me well for many years...unless I get sucked into this and have to have something 'better' in a couple of years! blush

Specs, for those who care....

PSE Drive LT
63# @ 29" DL
Chrony'd a 405 gr at 291 fps with 4" feathers and TT SL drop away.
I'll crank up the weight once I get more practice.

[Linked Image]

Hope you all don't mind if some questions (some potentially stupid) start flying your way over the next few months...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can handle em all. Stupid question is one u don't ask. With the factory strings, be sure to keep an eye on cam timing. Top cam should hit it's "stop" a shade before the bottom one. PSE makes a good bow. Enjoy it

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great looking bow! I'll kick you in the nads if you don't have that in the South Hills next year during elk season. Some serious bulls came out of there this year.

PS- You don't hate me drawing two controlled hunt tags this year for a unit not 1hr from you do you? wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, lets put it this way...

Howza 'bout I be William Tell and you can be my kid... laugh

Sure hope to pull something out of the Hills next fall. I should be able to get WAAY more time in hunting now.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha! I'd have to see you shoot first... wink

IIRC, archery pronghorn tags are a guaranteed draw!

Do you hunt birds? My pard has been absolutely murdering pheasants this year in your part of the state.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought a Mission Endeaver 2 1/2 yrs ago. It is a step up from an enry level bow. It is so far advanced from My 13 yr old Mathews Featherlight it aint even funny I started with a Darton 30? 1 1/2" wheels on it. You will love your bow. When I shot mine in my 20 yds basement range I was in aw of the accuracy. I called my dealer with an almost mad voice and said, at 20 yds I think I can shot the head off a grouse. Love that bow but the new ones blow mine away in just a few yrs.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When CT made crossbows legal for hunting I got one.

It's far more interesting to me than a longbow. I got a long bow back in the 60's or so when the 'recurve' or whatever it was called came out and there is one in the rafters in the basement. I was never that interested in it.

I can hunt with the crossbow here and it has more range, they say, than a longbow. I can practice with it in my basement and I take it to the range with me!

And! I think it looks cool.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's not a bow

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On another forum the topic came up that some say a crossbow is "not a bow" or in the spirit of bow hunting.

As an experienced firearms aficionado proficient with long guns and handguns I did not consider the bow interesting enough to bother with.

The crossbows interest me and in fact I think they look cool. I handle mine in the basement and take it to the range when I shoot my firearms. I can shoot it in the basement safely with no noise.

It shoots an arrow similar to the longer bows.

It's legal now to the letter of the law.

Where they made it legal for me is in CT where there are too many deer they say.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99

As an experienced firearms aficionado proficient with long guns and handguns I did not consider the bow interesting enough to bother with.

The crossbows interest me and in fact I think they look cool. I handle mine in the basement and take it to the range when I shoot my firearms. I can shoot it in the basement safely with no noise.

comical buffoonery

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't worry Savage_99 doesn't shoot anything but his imagination. He bought the crossbow with his employee discount from Cabela's. You think his comical buffoonery is good here? You should hear the crap he spews out at Cabela's.

The worst thing this state has ever done as far as hunting is legalizing the use of crossbows in the archery season.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crossbows are for pussys and cripples, which one are you?

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Crossbows are for pussys and cripples, which one are you?

Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Don't worry Savage_99 doesn't shoot anything but his imagination. He bought the crossbow with his employee discount from Cabela's. You think his comical buffoonery is good here? You should hear the crap he spews out at Cabela's.

MCH-
Does he really work at Cabelas? Oh, that's rich.
That'd be worth the trip just to experience Rain Man in person. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lmao

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am not sure if he is still there, but he did.

Oh visiting the East Hartford Cabela's is worth a trip. The comedy you will hear at the gun counter, glass counter, and gun room is better then any comedy show.

I was there last night after visiting family up there. Here is a sample.

Customer: I am looking for a great pair of binoculars for a bird watching trip to Africa. Salesmen: All the glass in the binoculars are the same from the same source. I can't remember where the plant is but it is all the same. You should buy these Vortex the price is great and they are better then anything else we sell.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.