Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Exactamundo!

Discovered a 'poutine' up there once....for breakfast! shocked

Also found out they don't know how to make a margarita...

" What Flavor, eh?"

A margarita flavored margarita....

Three tries later I gave up.

And I love the road signs in the middle of nowhere " Important Intersection Ahead" grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Ingwe, No kidding...and whats up with their driving down here in MT.?

Either ten under or twenty over the speed limit.
Must be some canuckian tranny gearing ratios for driving metric speeds.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Canada, and the United States, two countries, separated by a common language".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Ingwe, No kidding...and whats up with their driving down here in MT.?

Either ten under or twenty over the speed limit.
Must be some canuckian tranny gearing ratios for driving metric speeds.

I thought the 20 over was mandatory.... grin

I get a kick out of Canucks...in the middle of nowhere, buckled up and driving 55 kliks per hour grin

They are a comical people though.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"55 Canadianisms that confuse the world"....only if you believe the 'world' is the USA.

I use a lot of those "Canadianisms" and they're in common use here and Oz is nowhere near Canada. smile

Last edited by johnfox; 12/21/14.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dou you use all ouf thouse extra "u"s douwn there?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

I get a kick out of Canucks...in the middle of nowhere, buckled up and driving 55 kliks per hour grin

They are a comical people though.

ingwe;
Just a quick point of order sir - surely you mean we're doing 80km/per hour?

If the converter is correct then 55km/hr is only 34 mph and honestly we travel faster than that in town for the most part - except school zones of course.

Most towns up here the speed limit is 50km/hr = 31 mph unless you're in a downtown that has a lot of walking area which might be 30km/hr = 19 mph.

On the not altogether decided but most probably plus side of the equation - I'm heartened to read you find us comical.

I must admit I don't always find my fellow countrymen all that amusing in the least..... wink grin

Merry Christmas again ingwe.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dwayne: I hope this qualifies as a proper toque...cause its what I'll be wearing night hunting in Texas next month! grin

[Linked Image]

MOLSON ?????? sick

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Actually Dear, thats the closest photo I could find...mine has a Labatts logo.

And besides, you gotta remember, compared to American Beer, Molson is GOOD!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Actually Dear, thats the closest photo I could find...mine has a Labatts logo.

And besides, you gotta remember, compared to American Beer, Molson is GOOD!

True ! grin

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Molson Golden in particular..

From Labatts I like Kokanee... grin

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In some ways, it is remarkable Canada has maintained the identity it has.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My one and only beer I drink is Labatt 50 ! smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OMG!

We have a family tradition...

We go fishing yearly in Canada...because thats what our fathers and grandfather did. Our Grandfather started the tradition by popping open nothing other than Labatt 50s when the family got together!!!

We still do it! grin

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

My one and only beer I drink is Labatt 50 ! smile

I love Labatt's 50...red label...up until a few years could get it at the local grocery...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ketchup and cheese whiz.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Most of those things are regional in origin. Like pop versus soda in the US.

Canada began losing its identity at a fast pace in the 1960s. The most telling proof is that Canadians have to keep repeating over and over that they are not the same as Americans. The harder Canadians try to remain different, the quicker they are absorbed by the US

It hasn�t been the same since cable television and satellite broadcasting came to Canada. The world started getting smaller. It was triggered in the late 1950s down south; a fire was lit that brought the telecommunications age to the fore. It really accelerated with the commencement of the The Space Race. The US had every intention of beating the Russians. NASA needed solid state transistors, truly functional computers and Tang breakfast drink. Life on this rock would never be the same.

Most Canadians had been watching the Vietnam War for a few years, but 1968 was a game changer. Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. were killed. Woman's Lib and the gay rights movement were charging ahead. Blacks no longer had to sit in the back of the bus. Canadians took notice, and they were scared.

In Canada in 1968, the CRTC was born, in order to protect us from losing our cultural identity. 40 percent of all movies, TV shows and music played on the radio had to Canadian made. Yuck! It was a sad time for music lovers in the Great White North.

Quebecers were afraid of losing their language and for a time, became more militant. They were merely copying what had been happening in the US for years, but the October Crisis in 1970 shook up the country. Before that, we just were what we were. It seemed that the American folk singer Bob Dylan was right - the times, they were a changin'.

Once upon a time, we made television shows for people to watch. We didn�t care who tuned in. In the late 1960s however, we tried to make television shows the Americans would watch. We had to make them with no reference to their Canadian origins, lest the US audiences discover they were made north of the border. Was there anything north of Buffalo? US weather maps showed a big empty white area above the border...

The numbers of Canadian musicians, television and theatrical performers heading south increased dramatically. There was more money and recognition there. The climate was better, as were working conditions. Actors like Raymond Burr, Lorne Green, Tommy Chong, Hume Cronyn, William Shatner and hundreds of others left for greener pastures.

We started importing more clothing, hardware, movies and music from the US. We brought fewer European goods. The trade agreements had not changed; we just wanted to be like our big brothers to the south. Inexorably, Canadian children began to take on the speech patterns and mannerisms of their southern neighbours.

Sesame Street. PBS. Disneyland. TV aerials became antennas. God Save the Queen was no longer sung in schools (or the Lord�s Prayer recited for that matter).

The language changed. It's easily noticed these days. Our old fashioned Oxford Concise references � colour, neighbour, odour, etc � had given way to the US spellings. Words that could be verbs or nouns used to be differentiated by slighting spelling changes. Not anymore.

�I practised the clarinet at music practice today.� became, �I practiced the clarinet at music practice today.� Can you see the difference? Do you even care?

Tommy Hunter, Don Messer and the Friendly Giant were replaced by Nashville and Jim Henson.

Kokanee and Labatt�s Blue have been displaced by Coors Light and Budweiser. Molson Breweries and Coors are allegedly equal partners, but I think we all know who�s the boss.

Few Canadians know exactly what the Junos, Geminis or the Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television awards are, or why they are given out. But every Canadian knows about the Grammys and the Oscars.

Trousers have become pants. Blazers became suit jackets. Running shoes have become sneakers. Almost every hamburger served in Canada comes with mayonnaise now. Saskatchewan born Gordie Howe will die in Texas.

The world has changed. It has gotten smaller. I am not angry or dissatisfied with the shift. I only point them out. As the world ages, as the Internets, satellites and technology advance, all the planet�s differences will continue to shrink.

Now comes the interesting part - the defence. Canadians younger than forty-five will try to defend their �unique� heritage; their inherent differences, if you will.

Those older than forty-five will pause to consider how much has changed since they were young. They will realize the monumental transformation that has occurred over the last forty years. As hard as it will be for most to admit, Canadians are fast becoming Americans.

With every breath, the distinctions fade.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you Steve.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by milespatton
Then there's the whole sausage gravy on biscuits some of you folks do at every meal. wink laugh

I would think that would be a staple everywhere it is cold. Or hot! grin miles

milespatton;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well.

I can still recall when our girls were quite young and we were staying in a hotel in Spokane that included a breakfast buffet.

One of our daughters slid up beside me and asked, "Do you know what that grey stuff that looks like bad porridge but doesn't smell like it is?" laugh

Honestly I don't mind good sausage gravy, but some of course it's the bad stuff that is a wee bit off putting. wink

Merry Christmas to you folks Miles.

Dwayne

Too funny Dwayne. My wife and I stopped in a hotel in southern Washington and in the morning went to have some of breakfast offered. I had stated to my wife that I wanted some oatmeal porridge, wifes say its over there in that cooker. Dipped the spoon in and said to myself, that is not porridge and I am not sure what it is, gave it a pass.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Do any Canadians use vinegar on their fries anymore? When I first started spending time in Montana's "sister province" of Alberta 40+ years ago, vinegar was standard, but haven't seen it as much in recent years. Always liked sitting around on a Chesterfield while watching TV and eating fries with vinegar.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.