Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, I'm too cheap to buy a pack of bobber stops. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can learn an awful lot at this link:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=32.0

Serious ice fishermen on that board.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My old pull behind sled is looking smaller than it used to.
There are some choices "out there", Otter, other make?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
What are you going to pull it with? by hand? Walk out from shore? ATV? Snowmobile?

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Dave, a SkiDoo Touring. About 500cc.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have the Otter magnum sled, very durable has held up for years now.. Can get a lot of stuff in it.. Get the hitch for it i just use rope and once in awhile in runs into the machines... Also get a cover for it the snowmobile will have everything covered in snow..

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks, the Otter Magnum is what I am looking at.

I have a sled I bought at a marina in East International Falls over twenty years ago.
It a nice little sled, but if you want to pack along all the gear, plus the kitchen sink, it starts looking a bit small.

I learned about a tarp.
A fruit basket upset when the gear goes all over the ice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Iceshanty is a great site, lots of good info. I have had 2 vex's now and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. Great units.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rather than start a new thread, I'll keep this one going. Went out today and dropped a minnow down the hole. Got two jumbo perch right away, before I could get another line down. Dropped a 360 jig tipped with a minnow head down the other hole. Had the vexilar on, had fish come in. Moved it and they scrammed. Held it still and it got bit. Caught a couple, then it slowed. Vexilar showed fish, but no action. I have a vexilar camera, and since it was slow, down it went. Wow - did I have a learning experience! First, there were fish on the camera as soon as I got it down. Took a while to find the jig and get the camera on it, but I got it done. Fish were coming by, and if the 360 jig wiggled at all, they were gone. Even when I held it still, the jig would spin - uncoiling from line twist. Need to re-rig with swivels. they didn't like the spinning jig, but when it stopped, they would swim up to it and even bite at it. Had a few peewees that couldn't get the minnow head in their face. Never would have known they were there without the camera. I also missed a few fish before. Some of the larger perch were coming in and hitting the top of the jig. Went to a smaller spoon, they didn't like it at all; tried a puppet minnow, and that scared them away. Even the pike wouldn't hit it today. On two separate occasions, I saw pike AND perch swimming side by side - the pike were in the 20" class, so maybe were not a threat to a 10" perch. Even had one perch hit the 360 before the pike could get to it. Had a much larger pike come through, but he wasn't interested in anything I had down. Went to a horizontal jig tipped with a waxie, and all hell broke loose. Had a pike hit that and then take the minnow in the other hole. Oh, by the way, the camera was between the two. Getting that fish up and out of the hole with two rigs hooked to it, and the camera line tangled in the mess! Cut the baited line and put another down the hole. As soomn as I got the jig down, and futzed with the camera, the perch were still there. Keep the jig still, they would come in and inhale at least the waxies; sometimes they even got the jig. Don't set the hook by what you see on the camera - wait until you feel them - that cost me a few fish. To come to an end, had two pike and 12 jumbo perch in 2.5 hrs! But seeing it all on the camera was one of the coolest things I have done. I learned a lot, and after I re-rig and dry out the house tomorrow, will get back at it.

Ps - anyone have experience with the camera holders that are supposed to allow you to easily control the camera direction?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting. Thanks!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool. Pretty much describes high pressure neutral, we're at 30.78" right now with a tick up.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.