24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone here ever heard of these guys or hunted with em? Their site looks pretty good, but I am always suspect when all you see in the pix are great racked deer or limited out on birds and such. Been trying to think a little out of the box on a new place to visit and hunt, was kinda thinking of staying away from some of the usual "hotspots" like KS, IA, IL or TX. I figured maybe the Dakotas or NB would be sleeper states for muleys or whitetails.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've never hunted their personally but have heard good things. IMO Nebraska is a sleeper state for big bucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
King,

What areas do they hunt in NE?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I live in East Central Ne. and have followed the deer hunting for about 35 yrs.Be sure you check any outfitter out thoroughly,references,etc.There are some nice deer taken mainly in rifle season but those bigger top end bucks are very hard to come by.You need access to private land and most of that is tied up by families,there is very little public land.Nebraska does not manage for trophy deer,they time the rifle season for the rut and over time has resulted in a rathe rsad state of affairs.Unfortunately lots of deer and lots of people hunting,I haven't hunted deer in state for 10 yrs.Have tried archery but access to good private land hunting spots is very hard. Good luck,you might have a good experience!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hlg, thank you for the info. Its hard to determine how good or bad an area is especially if a person is not from the area or state. I feel the same way about my home state of MI. Lots of hunters, especially during gun season and I am fortunate to hunt private land. This particular outfit that I am looking at has private land near Paxton, NE. Just trying to think outside the box a little, since NE borders KS and KS seems to get all the press on big deer.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know them, but looks like they are located by Paxton, east of McConaughy. Should be a great area for whitetails along the Platte river, or muleys if you get away from the river.

If they follow QDM practices as they state, then there might be some great bucks around. Getting a lot more deer than hunters in Nebraska, and the corn was in the fields very late last year so more bucks than normal probably made it through deer season.

You can check the Game and Parks web site and review stats for that hunting unit. Check out the Big Game guide.
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/guides/biggame/deer/BGdeer.asp

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
hlg, thank you for the info. Its hard to determine how good or bad an area is especially if a person is not from the area or state. I feel the same way about my home state of MI. Lots of hunters, especially during gun season and I am fortunate to hunt private land. This particular outfit that I am looking at has private land near Paxton, NE. Just trying to think outside the box a little, since NE borders KS and KS seems to get all the press on big deer.

This is true. Nebraska also borders Iowa and Northern Missouri. Both also know for big horns. I've hunted all over NE but IMO the Southeast corner than connects Iowa to Kansas is the best. Deer are also easier to hunt here compared to states with more vegetation IMO. Cropfields with wooded fingers in the creekbeds leave little question about where the deer are. Most shots are close. Last year opening day we shot two bucks both under 30yds. First grossed 162, second 164. Shot in two different counties.

P
P
We just returned from hunting with this 'outfitter.' DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICES. It was our worst hunt in 13 years of guided hunts in the Midwest. We came out with 0 birds, despite seeing thousands (off in the distance). The two locations this outfitter used were not on the birds. We had less than a half dozen shots at only TWO birds that were not even close. The shooting locations were less than desirable and we were forced to take a 3 hour lunch break, despite that being prime movement time for birds due to the unusually warm weather. When you pay $2000+ for three shooters (that is before travel, lodging, and food) you expect to be hunting as long as possible, not sitting in a hotel room. Our fourth shooter also had to cancel due to a medical emergency and his fee was not even partially refunded. Other hunters in Paxton managed to bring in 40 birds in one session, despite the bad weather, so one can not only blame that circumstance. Luckily, the mayor of Paxton stumbled upon us and was willing to give us several pounds of birds, so we wouldn't drive back 1,300 miles completely empty handed!

K
K
I have been going on an annual goose hunt in Nebraska for the past six years, this year for traveling purposes I used a different guide than usual…..big mistake. I Just got done w/ a weekend goose hunt w/ this outfitter....worse goose hunt I have ever experienced. Our guide was completely unprofessional, very nice kid but had no idea what it means to be a paid guide. I should have known that this was going to be a horrible hunt when they want all of the money (deposit already paid) before they even want to take you into the field.
Hunted out of a pit blind Sat. and Sun. there were tons of birds flying but nowhere near where they had this pit set up and our guide could not call any birds in. The few birds that did come in were flaring and not committing, the decoying was horrible and you never knew where the geese would land, in front of the blind, behind or to the side (pretty dangerous in my estimation).
The hunting was bad on Sat but even worse on Sun, one bird came in the entire day. I just dont think they have access to any other land that one pit blind in a cow pasture. When asked what we wanted to do w/ our birds, I asked that they be breasted out, the guide was fairly reluctant to breast out our birds and there were only 10, for 4 hunters.
I called the owner the following day to discuss what had transpired, I never heard back from him. I would highly recommend that you do not use this outfitter.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.