Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Considering buying one and have two questions.

First, can you fire standard .45 acp loads down the .460 barrel ?

And can you use your .45 acp reloading dies to reload .460 Roland cases ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From what I understand yes in both cases. You might want to go out to the Rowland web site as they have many answers to your questions.

http://460rowland.com/

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks DD I'll check it out.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yes
yes

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks! Might have a to buy me a Christmas present from me this week!

I've got an old Custom Springfield 1911 that I shot ISPC with for years that just sets in the safe. After seeing my buddies Conversion, I thought it would be cool to install one on my old race gun.
And with the longer barrel and compensator installed, it will be nice if I can also shoot the 45acp ammo and leave the .460 Conversion Kit on the pistol, since I have a truckload of 45acp ammo and brass, also. It ought to also be a hog hammering machine too with the .460 Roland Ammo.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You might want to check out the you tube videos on the .460 Rowland. Somebody had one of a sub machine gun is .460 Rowland and holy smokes.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had a Clark conversion with comp I used on my Sig 1911 and it shot great. Played hell on deer

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Quote from Rowland website: "In order to prevent our high-pressure round from being chambering and fired from guns that may not be up to the task, the .460 Rowland�s shell casing is 1/16 of an inch longer than a standard .45 ACP cartridge. Due to their identical overall length, however, an Authentic .460 Rowland Conversion will reliably feed and fire standard .45 ACP cartridges from standard .45 ACP magazines; just like the .357 Magnum feeds and fires the .38 Special� only bigger� much bigger."
If the 460 Rowland case is 1/16" longer than a 45 ACP, I do not see how a 45 ACP would fire in a Rowland chamber because the case headspaces on the rim of the case. Perhaps the ACP case sitting 1/16th of an inch deeper in the Rowland chamber can still be reached by the firing pin?
The other issue is the heavier recoil spring required in the Rowland conversion. Will the slide still cycle fully with a lighter recoil impulse of a 45 ACP considering the heavier spring and the greater mass of the compensator?
Any information about the carbine referred to on the website?
I have a 460 Rowland Clark 1911 conversion as well as a Mec Tec carbine. Both are great but I have never tried a 45 ACP round in either firearm. With a 230 grain flat point lead bullet, I chronographed 1370 fps from the sidearm with AA7 loads from Accurate provided reloading data.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rowland is not as critical as Clark. Clark says not to try to fire .45ACP ammo in a .460 barrel, because since the round head spaces on the mouth of the case, instead of the rim (rimless cartridges). This makes the relationship much different than that between a .44 Special/.44 mag or .36 Special/.357 mag. As mentioned, the .45 might not even fire if the extractor doesn't hold the cartridge in place. Even if it does fire, performance might be spotty.

As to the reloading dies, yes, .45ACP dies, as well as primers and bullets, will work for the Rowland. I have a Springfield Mi Spec with a Clark conversion barrel that works very well, shoots accurately. Most I've pushed a hand load to so far is a 200 XTP to 1340 fps, and there is a lot more to go.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had the same question...since the .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth how can a .45 ACP be safely fired in a Roland chamber. This would be like trying to shoot a 9mm in a 9x23 Winchester chamber.

Anyone here shoot a .45 Super? Same size case as the ACP but thicker brass.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Supposedly the overall cartridge length is the same for the .45ACP and the .460 Rowland. However, I just looked at the Hodgdon reloading site and it shows the .460 Rowland being .070 overall longer than the .45ACP. So I don't know about interchangeability.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RJM
I had the same question...since the .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth how can a .45 ACP be safely fired in a Roland chamber. This would be like trying to shoot a 9mm in a 9x23 Winchester chamber.

Anyone here shoot a .45 Super? Same size case as the ACP but thicker brass.

Bob

I shoot 45 Super and absolutely love it. A 185 at 1300. FPS + a 230 at 1100 FPS + and a 255 hard cast at 1075 to 1090 FPS. I shoot 45 ACP, 45 acp +P and 45 Super without a hitch and changes to my 1911 from one to the other.
I find that the 45 Super is a significant step up from a +P 45 ACP.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Supposedly the overall cartridge length is the same for the .45ACP and the .460 Rowland. However, I just looked at the Hodgdon reloading site and it shows the .460 Rowland being .070 overall longer than the .45ACP. So I don't know about interchangeability.

The 45 ACP, 45 Super and 460 have to be loaded to a cartridge over all length that will work through the magazine. From any practical stand point they are the same length and powder capacity.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 45 ACP, 45 Super and 460 have to be loaded to a cartridge over all length that will work through the magazine. From any practical stand point they are the same length and powder capacity.

I know that's true but I wonder how they get the higher velocities if all things are equal.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know that's true but I wonder how they get the higher velocities if all things are equal.

All things are not equal, to get more velocity is very simple. Just add a bit more powder which increases pressure thus increasing velocity. This is not brain surgery.

Just because length and capacity are basically equal it is als obvious that pressures are not equal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As pointed out, the Rowland cartridge CASE is a bit longer. Overall loaded length is the same, so .45ACP magazines can be used with Rowland ammo as well as reloading dies. The ACP will chamber in the Rowland, because it is shorter, Rowland will not fit in an ACP chamber.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

All things are not equal, to get more velocity is very simple. Just add a bit more powder which increases pressure thus increasing velocity. This is not brain surgery.

Just because length and capacity are basically equal it is als obvious that pressures are not equal.

Thanks, but it is brain surgery for me, just like political philosophy and history is brain surgery for most on here.

So, while the overall length might be the same the oversize cases contain just a smidgen more powder thereby increasing pressure and velocity. Okay I think I have now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mike: Thanks for the extractor explanation

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
DerbyDude, the powder capacity for for all cases is basically the same. It is like up the charge in a 30-06 case and increases the pressure from the SAAMI max of 60,000 psi to 55 or 70 thousand psi this will crease the velocity.

Derby Dude the only reason the Rowland case is longer is to prevent clambering in unaltered pistols. If the Rowland case can be shortened to 45 ACP length and the same power loads can still be assembled.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/22/14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.