Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by From TF49
I like the idea of going into oil stocks now for a 1-3 year hold. Chevron is a better buy now than it was a month ago when it was 11% or so higher. Pays a 4% dividend as well.

I like your general idea. I don't think oil's bottomed quite yet, but it's creating a nice opportunity.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've been buying XOM at $100 per month through a DRIP for over 35 years and have accumulated a nice position in oil as a result.

I agree that now is the time to be buying oil and the drillers.

Also been buying HSY and have been doing quite well with chocolate of all things.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Recall a member on here about 5-6 years ago. Talked his parents into putting their life savings of over $100k into gold at over $1800 an ounce. It's currently $1195. Gold pays no interest, no dividends and is difficult to sell. Looks like he screwed his parents and his inheritance.

I invest in stocks and average 12% for the past 30 years. No gold or silver for me.

If so, that would make you one of the world's great money managers!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No interest in gold/silver here. Am currently expanding my position in oil/gas stocks. I could care less if I catch the bottom.

Scored good on Kinder Morgan Partners this last year. They just restructured and gave me shares of KMI and cash in exchange for my shares. Really no interest in selling, and I'll let my investment ride for a few decades to see what they can make happen.

Star Gas was also very kind to me. I love oil/gas stocks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ULA24
Recall a member on here about 5-6 years ago. Talked his parents into putting their life savings of over $100k into gold at over $1800 an ounce. It's currently $1195. Gold pays no interest, no dividends and is difficult to sell. Looks like he screwed his parents and his inheritance.

I invest in stocks and average 12% for the past 30 years. No gold or silver for me.

Not really! I have very little cash, just what I need to live on. Investing is quite a long term effort for me. 12% return is quite average, most successful professional investors average 30% or more. I invest only in dividend paying stocks. Some oil and gas pipeline stocks pay dividends of 8%, so investing those dividends along with investment of short and long term capital gains in a DRIP that's inside a 401(k) can get very nice gains with no taxes.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
love dividend checks from good companies

and what's not certain? the world we live in, it's what makes it interesting.

12% is fantastic over 30 years in my book Ed, nicely done

stocks have been the best ROI of any investment (well sans our own businesses, those have done very well for us)

RE we own is only about 6.5% ROI for us

and while I have no interest in gold/silver currently, I'm still glad to have bought some financial insurance when it was a bargain basement deal. Just gives me the warm fuzzies along with some cash reserves, .22 ammo, good supply of food and a hidey hole we recreate at.

tis what I love about America, you buy the hunting gear that makes you happy and invest and insure the same way.

wish everyone well in making a buck, this life has been so good to us.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's a really cool system we have set up. Sitting up here in tiny town AK I can buy shares in offshore drilling companies, pipeline companies, buy bonds for the NJ turnpike, etc.. Love it. The internet puts all the info you need a few keystrokes away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh Calvin you have no idea, I'm an old phart, used to have to subscribe to investment periodicals and newsletters and I remember when we got Monday night football on Tuesday here after they flew up the game tape! lol, the good old days

now with the touch of a few keystrokes, we have more and better info available to us than most of the guys on Wall St. did a few years ago.

just one of many ways puters have changed our lives

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not really! I have very little cash, just what I need to live on. Investing is quite a long term effort for me. 12% return is quite average, most successful professional investors average 30% or more. I invest only in dividend paying stocks. Some oil and gas pipeline stocks pay dividends of 8%, so investing those dividends along with investment of short and long term capital gains in a DRIP that's inside a 401(k) can get very nice gains with no taxes.

Ed, I am a professional and have been for a long time, but I am trader. Most professional money managers who are running retirement money do not average 30% a year. Do some research please. Most are not able to even beat index funds (the market), which last time I looked averaged about 8% a year over the LONG term. They have a good year here and there sure, but I assure you, it is a very rare bird that averages 12% for 30 years. That is simply extraordinary in the conservative retirement investing world. If you could prove that record, Goldman Sachs would be beating down your door with job offers.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by EdM
What is uncertain?

Maybe the government borrowing, umm, I mean printing 40cents on every dollar they spend?
What could possibly go wrong? crazy

OK. You keep buying gold. crazy

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Ed, I am a professional and have been for a long time, but I am trader. Most professional money managers who are running retirement money do not average 30% a year. Do some research please. Most are not able to even beat index funds (the market), which last time I looked averaged about 8% a year over the LONG term. They have a good year here and there sure, but I assure you, it is a very rare bird that averages 12% for 30 years. That is simply extraordinary in the conservative retirement investing world. If you could prove that record, Goldman Sachs would be beating down your door with job offers.
Ed, in a nice, polite way he is telling you that your supposed return rate is BS. I agree.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Even Ramsey says 12%..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
for me they're neither

just insurance, with a one time premium

don't know if it will happen in my lifetime or not, but there's some serious problems with the US$, it's backed by the full faith and credit of the US gov't......bwahahahaha

currently the world sees the US$ as King in a resplendent robe

but the bastard is running around in tatters damned near naked, it's just his neighbors have worse clothing as hard as that is to believe.

someday, some kid is going to point out the obvious, the king is naked or in tatters

whether it's me or my kids, probably be glad to have some pm's then.

That makes great sense to me. In case anyone didn't notice, we are in a currency war at the moment. As the outcome depends on politics, nobody really know how it will turn out -- especially with the USG so screwed up.

IMO, two things are clear. Gold and silver are good as a hedge and in case of a major disaster. (Some other collectibles are rock solid for appreciation but not for insurance like them.) Most say stick to well below 15%, though.

Second, in all the world, the US is the one place to invest, for reasons we can discuss. Every place else is more risky. There are very good reasons why profits might be higher elsewhere. That is my own strategy and advice to others.

Last edited by Anjin; 12/22/14.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just wanted to say thanks to for everyone's input. As I continue learning about this, I find such discussions interesting.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like silver and gold. I started buying back in 2008 when silver was in the $9-$11 range. I cut back on buying when it made its rise and only bought a few limited run things. A few weeks ago when it hit under $15 one Sunday night I put in my first decent sized order in the last 5 years. I just look at it as insurance and something I enjoy.

Most of my spare change the last few years has been spent on rental homes. I purchased 4 while prices were down and rates were good. I need to do a bit more with stocks I just worry that the stock market is the next bubble to break. All that money that's being printed looks like it's going right into the market. I have a decent 401 that I just parked in a money market account. I hate being on the sidelines but I think low oil prices might make Russia or Iran do something stupid.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Most of my spare change the last few years has been spent on rental homes. I purchased 4 while prices were down and rates were good. I need to do a bit more with stocks I just worry that the stock market is the next bubble to break. All that money that's being printed looks like it's going right into the market. I have a decent 401 that I just parked in a money market account. I hate being on the sidelines but I think low oil prices might make Russia or Iran do something stupid.

Bb

Everyone who follows the news knows that OPEC strong-armed its weaker members to play along with the lower prices and high production to hurt US fracking over the short term.

It will, but it is hurting those weaker members more. The US has plenty of frackers with low cost of capital. Sure, some are hurting but the strategy likely will fail. We'll see what happens then.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 35, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.