Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am curious, what makes a one custom knife better than another, or a factory knife for that matter?

Is it a matter of style? craftsmanship? or do certain makers have the formula down for the proper temper, edge holding ability, ease of sharpening etc...

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by FieldGrade; 12/19/14.
irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fieldgrade,
Those are very nice knives. I hope I don't offend anyone with my question.
I am a noob when it comes to custom knives. I have one custom made to my specs years ago and it has been a great knife. Seems to hold an edge better than any factory knife I own.
Lately I have taken a keen interest in knives and want to learn more.
Thanks for sharing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Heat treat, materials, and attention to details. Of course there could be a longer more drawn out answer but these cover the basics to your question.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by irfubar
I am curious, what makes a one custom knife better than another, or a factory knife for that matter?

Is it a matter of style? craftsmanship? or do certain makers have the formula down for the proper temper, edge holding ability, ease of sharpening etc...

Lots of things!

Assuming proper heat treat and temper for the steel chosen being equal (which is a quality control issue, not a custom issue).

A custom knife can be a design you need out of a steel you cannot get any other way. It can be a specific design (shape and handle) you cannot get any other way. It can be a combination of a number features you cannot get any other way. And of course, lastly but far from least, it can be just a level of craftsmanship you cannot get any other way.

I recently took a proven design and asked a maker to build one for me out of superior material with some improved features and it turned out to be vastly superior to anything I had ever had in my hands for that work. I am about to have another done by the same maker on a different proven design with some tweaks and I can see the possibility of it being another highly successful experiment, or it may not, and I'm OK with that if it should turn out that way.

A lot of makers have a "line" of builds they produce. The have a blade design out of a given steel, handles out of specified materials and all well executed. These "custom" knives are very fine tools, and well worth the price. But... there may be a hundred others just like them in other people's hands. Some, have very distinctive "styles" in construction. With a tool that is quite personal like a knife style, materials, execution etc may be better for one user or the next. Better may be solely in the eye of the beholder.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fieldgrade,
Those are very nice knives. I hope I don't offend anyone with my question.
I am a noob when it comes to custom knives. I have one custom made to my specs years ago and it has been a great knife. Seems to hold an edge better than any factory knife I own.
Lately I have taken a keen interest in knives and want to learn more.
Thanks for sharing.

You didn't offend me. I took that post down for the same reason.
In other words, I'm a poor wordsmith and was concerned that one of the makers here would take it the wrong way and be "offended". blush

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This has been a quandry for me for years. Are they really better than a similar factory blade? So, I bounce between factory and customs and they both please me.

Yes, to heat treat, materials, and details. For just cutting, you can skip most of the expensive details, but details and embelishments really make a custom knife shine.

irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the replies.
I am fascinated by the heat treat process and was wondering if there is any (magic) the custom guys use.

In my research of different blade steels it appears the manufacturer provides the recipe for the proper heat treatments.
I see some use cryrogenics? is that beneficial?

I would imagine how the blade is ground would make a large difference also?

Fieldgrade,
I understand, at times I use the wrong words and ruffle some feathers here also. cool

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the main reasons I buy custom knives, is that I get to choose the steel, the handle material, style, grind..........
With buying production knives, you buy what is there. Makes a big difference to me.
Some of the better production knives are every bit as functional as custom knives, but like I said, you buy what they make.

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Quality is a big issue, some are better than others. Heat treat varies as well, some makers really nail it with certain steels. Bob Dozier and D2 being a good example.

That being said, a lot of it is just personal preference. I like using fine knives while dressing deer because it adds to the enjoyment. I could use a $10 junker just as easily.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Who ever makes the Custom that you like .!!!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I know I spend a lot of time focusing on heat treat and making the blade cut and hold an edge. My heat treat process isn't a mystery, but it involves multiple thermal cycles and cryo quenches which are generally the ideal recommended process to establish the absolute optimal cutting edge as determined by the metallurgists at the steel manufacturers. In many cases, I've actually called the steel manufacturers and discussed with their metallurgists to ensure that I'm getting it as perfect as I can.

Once I've gotten what I believe is as good a heat treat as I can get for a particular steel I follow that same process meticulously every time. I don't think most production manufacturers are putting in the time to do multiple cryo and thermal passes to truly optimize the steel performance. It's too time consuming for them.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
irfubar Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
mtnman1,
Thats great info! exactly what I was looking for.
thanks for taking the time to respond.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ability to get it made the way you want it. A collaboration of your wants and the makers skills and inputs coming together in one piece of steel.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think that's a good question. There are a lot of custom knife makers out there that make great knives
and I've acquired a few that I especially liked from stock they had available and consider it money well spent.

But I've also seen custom knives at gun shows selling for twice as much that I could buy a CRKT that was twice the knife!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
for me performance is main factor. as mentioned by mtnman multiple tempers with cryo in many cases,if maker takes the time & effort it makes a world of differance.if maker is honest & divulges the basic system,you have a good idea of his experience & effort. i once had a maker tell me that cyro for 440c was just something that only allowed custom guys to ask more money for their blades, certainly told me he was'nt into metal knowledge. cranky72

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have to agree with cranky72, performance is the number one thing advantage I can think of. Take a production knife in steel A and a Custom knife in steel A and compare the two. As long as the custom maker did his part the edge is going to be thinner and the heat treat is going to optimized for the task at hand. This not only makes a knife that will perform more efficiently, but it will also be easier to maintain.

R
rio Offline
R
Collectors can tell you the custom is better etc... But it all depends why you want it, some productions this days are really good , the custom has essensance , crafstmanship , good materials and made to your size and wishes, the difference is the price, now days some productions have great materials and are done by cnc machines with zero flaws but you put it on your hand and it feels liked nothing and it sits there collecting dust, a knife has to have a soul imho, go to a show and try them with your hand , once you see the one that is for you , buy it or order one from the maker, you'll never regret.

K
KBA Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K

I am fascinated by the heat treat process and was wondering if there is any (magic) the custom guys use.

Absolutely NOT!!!
Any maker worth his salt uses SCIENCE/Metallurgy.
If any maker ever tells you he is using some type of heat treating "secrets" - RUN!!!!!!

Karl B. Andersen
www.andersenforge.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Karl
Nice web site. Great blade smith work.

You the guy who made the super grade Viking sword I saw on PBS???
If so, WOW.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.