Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SU35
Forget Rick Cambell,

Just call Melvin Forbes himself, I did with a 24B that was shooting 3" groups. The magazine was binding the action up.

Melvin fixed it free of charge and sent it back to me no charge. All within two weeks. Remarkable time, I think.

I asked if I could pay him. He said he would be sending the bill to Forbes Rifles.

As far as quality of the Kimber and the Forbes. In regards to actions and stocks. The Forbes rifle is far superior to the Kimber. The stock on the Kimber is junk compared to the Forbes.

Forbes action is also much better. The barrels are probably equal...not good.

How so my friend? Please give as many details as possible. I'm interested if you are speaking from a technical viewpoint or from personal feel and preference. Either is fine but I would like to know more than it's just better. Exactly how is it better?

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a 84L for awhile of which I sent down the road. It failed to impress me. The action was very basic. The stock was thin and in my opinion not high quality as some here have said, even comparing them to Mcmillan. My opinion from owning both.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know with what I went through, I wouldn't trust ANYTHING coming from Rick Campbell.

Laughably bad communication, QC and CS.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I look at them every week and for the life of me can't see $1500 of rifle there. They remind me more of a Savage than anything else. Butt ugly to boot. Gritty actions and I don't care for the muzzle tilt balance.

After Rancho's experience I would never buy one. Rather take a 700 MR and drop it in a McMillan Edge,and would rather have a Kimber any day.

Wasn't it Mel Forbes who taught Kimber how to make synthetic stocks? At least that's what I recall.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The action was very basic. The stock was thin

To be honest, this is why I like mine.

Wasn't it Mel Forbes who taught Kimber how to make synthetic stocks?

I thought the same thing. Is this not true?

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by K22

I like the thin stock but I don't get the basic part. What about the Kimber is more "basic" than the Forbes?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by K22

I like the thin stock but I don't get the basic part. What about the Kimber is more "basic" than the Forbes?

I think basic is better. A Kimber 84 action in my eyes is almost the same as a pre-64 Win 70. Kimber is smaller in dimension, I know. If somebody will point out the differences, I'll definitely and gladly listen and learn.

Great trigger as well....on the Kimber. And I love the stock on the Montana. Seems to be as stiff as it needs to be. All it needs is bedding in the lug area and I'd compare it to any out there of similar weight. Would I rather have an Edge? Yes. But I see NO need to add $600 or so to the cost of a Montana just to get a slightly better stock.

But to each his own. That's why different rifle manufacturers sell rifles.

Last edited by 257heaven; 12/21/14.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I handled 2 forbes down at the pawnshop a couple of weeks ago, yes, in a pawnshop, and I still prefer the forbes stock to the montana.

I walked away still smiling though, to have washed my hands of that whole goat rope..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rancho
I've never handled a Forbes or Nula. I won't buy a Forbes until they get their act together, if they make it that long. Can you explain exactly what it is about the stock that you like over a Kimber 84M?

I have the Kimber and like it fine. I've killed 3 whitetails with it this year shooting standing offhand and I haven't missed yet.

If there is something special about the Forbes, I may have to start saving for a NULA to try out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shorter grip on the forbes..

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K22

Internet mythology.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K22

Agreed. The action is deceptively simple. Fulfills everything I want in a Mountain Rifle. Ditto the stock, it's dimensions are spot-on perfect for me, but I'm not very big at 5'10", 155lbs.

The Forbes stock doesn't fit me as well as the Kimber, and I don't like the tighter grip... choices are great, but handling several Forbes rifles I was completely underwhelmed by the fit and finish.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've owned five Kimbers and two ULAs.

I vastly prefer the Kimber stock design to the ULA/NULA/Forbes, and would rate the Kimber quite a bit above a Mcmillan Hunters Edge in ergos.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know with what I went through, I wouldn't trust ANYTHING coming from Rick Campbell.

Laughably bad communication, QC and CS.

I would agree with that.

What ever fits you, I like The Forbes stock, and when I call thin on the Kimber, I'm referring to its construction.

No way it comes close to Mcmillan or Forbes quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found Rick Campbell to be uninformed and difficult to do business with. He promised that I would get my LH Forbes by last Spring, then late Spring, then early Summer, then late Summer, then early Fall etc.

When I brought the multiple wrong data to his attention, he got annoyed, and I also found out that he does not know very much about his product.

It appears that he has a thick head and a thin skin. Would not do business with him again.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 12/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To add to the discussion, I just finger banged a Howa Alpine at the local Whorehouse, and at $999, I think forbes has something to worry about besides their crappy CS and QC..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
To add to the discussion, I just finger banged a Howa Alpine at the local Whorehouse, and at $999, I think forbes has something to worry about besides their crappy CS and QC..

Any chance you weighed it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't usually carry a postal scale around..

Howa lists it at 5-11.. and I bet it is. (snark intentional)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
when I call thin on the Kimber, I'm referring to its construction.

No way it comes close to Mcmillan or Forbes quality.

IMO, that's absolutely not the case. I've got a cross section of a Montana stock, and it's quite thick. It's laid glass cloth and plenty tough. Certainly on the order of a McMillan or Bansner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slacker. grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.