Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a sling with bullet loops and one of the nylon band with bullet loops on the stock. That is on my Ruger m77 338wm. Must admit I have never needed all that ammo lol. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have you ever went out with a healthy gal,It's aim not ammo that will gat you back in the door I kid you not.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use one of these on all my rifles. Carry extra ammo,pull through bore cleaner etc.That way when I pickup rifle I have every thing right there.
I also cut and put foam under this to raise cheekpiece to EXACTLY where I want it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Allen-C..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9c4da210

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bigswede358
I've been carrying one of the Uncle Mikes 10 round holder on my belt for years, I'm on my third one. It is hardly noticeable to me, except if its not there. I have never needed that many rounds for a big game animal, but they are there if need be. It has come in particularly handy a few times when I took to filling my grouse limit with my hunting rifle and head shots.

This.
Been using them for 30 years, on my third one also.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftybolt
I use the buttstock carriers on all my rifles but rarely have more than about 3 rounds in them(utilize these carriers as much for protecting the buttstocks on my rifles from scuffs and scrapes as for carrying ammo). Also, buttstock carriers deaden any sounds from brush etc. hitting or rubbing against a fiberglass stock in the field. So, 3-4 in the rifle magazine and another 2-3 on the buttstock sling.

Leftybolt

Leftybolt;
Good evening sir, hopefully this finds you well.

I'm in the same camp as you it seems, though I'll typically have at least 5-10 rounds in a plastic carrier in my daypack as well.

In this photo I've unloaded the rifle already and put the rounds from the magazine - including the fired case - back into the butt sock.

[Linked Image]

We've found the butt sock carriers to be especially handy when camping as it keeps the ammunition and firearm in a common area which can be handy if one needs it in a pinch to deal with a recalcitrant bruin.

All the best to you this Christmas season sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I sewed up one like the ten rounder on the right. Five rounds for the rifle and five to spare in an exterior coat pocket.

We stop for lunch so rest of the plastic box of 50 (reloads) are in the shooting bag in the truck with other gee-gaws. I don't like carrying more than I need. We hunt near civilization so five in the rifle go back into the holder and are hidden in a pocket if we stop in town or visit or something.

Tried a bunch of alternatives but this suits me best for our style of hunting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by firearms44
I'm a Diabetic so I carry a back-pack with snacks and water. It's easy to carry extra ammo in one of the pockets. I load the rifle with 4 and carry an extra 4 in the pack so I'm not adding too much extra weight.

Ken

Use same method for same reasons. I also carry a couple spares in my jacket pocket.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Four in the gun....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by firearms44
I'm a Diabetic so I carry a back-pack with snacks and water. It's easy to carry extra ammo in one of the pockets. I load the rifle with 4 and carry an extra 4 in the pack so I'm not adding too much extra weight.

Ken

Use same method for same reasons. I also carry a couple spares in my jacket pocket.
Same reasons here. I always used to carry a full box of ammo. I've never fired more than three shots in a day, so I'm down to one in the chamber (Yes-I carry hot!)three in the mag. and about 3 more rounds of ammo. That's it. Just don't see the need to haul around the dead weight. I sure do get a kick out of the guys running big banana clips on their Remington Jam-a-matics though.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by elkcountry
All,

For years I have carried extra ammo in a sling with pouches that can hold 3 rounds each. With 3 in the gun, 1 in my pocket and 9 more in my sling, I always had plenty. Now the velcro has worn to the point I don't trust it to keep rounds from falling out so now I need a new system. I've considered a sleeve with loops on the buttstock, a wallet style folding pouch on my belt and another sling with loops. Not sure what I like best. How do you guys carry your extra ammo while in the woods?

Elk Country

I use the Uncle Mikes butt stock carriers with the flap on my rifles.The flap prevents cartridge loss, getting poked by plastic tipped bullets, etc.

I usually only put three rounds in them and hang a spare scope cover on the flap. So, 3-5 in the rifle magazine and another 3 in the stock carrier. Finally five more in a pocket or sleeve on my pack.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
With a T3 I carry an extra loaded mag in a secure jacket or vest pocket. Additional rounds are in an old leather belt pouch with a kind of mechanical snap closure. It was old when I got it from a friend 30 years ago. It just doesn't feel like hintin season unless I have it on.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
What do you use extras for? My definition their not need grin

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is fun to occasionally empty the magazine at running coyotes. In some areas we hunt we may run into pigs, also.

Even if these things seldom happen, it is nice to have enough ammo to entertain the possibility.

In case of an emergency it would be nice to have enough ammo to signal for help, and possibly repeat, if necessary.

I had a great uncle who made a big show of leaving hunting camp each morning in the Adirondacks in the 1940's with just one round of ammo. And he did have successful, one-shot kills several years in a row.

Then one year he shot at the biggest buck he had ever attempted a shot at. He wounded it and had plenty of time for a follow-up shot, but he had none with him. The buck ran off and he never found it. He felt real bad about the experience. That deflated his ego and cured him.

From then on he carried a few more rounds with him when he left camp. I still have his octogon-barrel Savage 99 in 30-30 Winchester that was made in 1913, and it is still a good shooter.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
twice this year I was short on rounds when only loading the gun. One was just ugly shooting in a new gun. The other was when I had 3 rounds in the 7mm-08 and could have filled all 6 of my initial tags if I didn't run out of ammo. It always happens so I try and plan for it. Happened archery hunting last year. Had a doe come within 5 yards after I used my lats arrow and hang out with me already climbed down and sitting in my stand on the base of the tree. She wanted to hold an arrow real bad smile The archery store ordered me the wrong replacement blades and I don't like to run the same blade twice. Maybe the 3 rounds are ok. My back can't really handle dragging more than that anyway.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As to the need for extra cartridges on a hunt, there is no doubt in my mind that to do otherwise is an invitation to missed opportunities.

Where I hunt in Texas we have multiple tags and often the opportunity to take multiple deer in a single day. I have (more than once) killed three or more deer on mornings hunt. When you throw in the fact that we are also over-run with hogs and coyotes are very common.....it's quite likely that you could run short of ammo, if just the magazine was filled, on any given day.

Back in my early days of hunting I used to carry 4-5 loose rounds in my coat pocket (still do occasionally). Later it was common (at least in my family) to cut down 20-round ammo boxes so that they held 6-8 rounds. We would fold over the cut box and tape it up to create a handy pocket-size box/carrier. The advantage of this was that the ammo type was printed on the box flap avoiding possible confusion (very important when you carry more than one rifle on a day's hunt).

I later went to a leather folding wallet style 10 round carrier that could be carried on your belt (but was most often just dropped in a coat pocket). Extra ammo is, to me, almost a requirement when hunting.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,514
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.