Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I guess a few ounces don't matter. I've always wanted an actual light gun. All my stuff weighs 9-10# hunting weight. For its intended purpose as a walk around gun, and future child's gun, I'd like it to hunt in the low 6's. The further south of 7# the better.
All great advice. I appreciate it.

Seven pounds compared to 9+ pounds is a big deal.

But 8 oz does not matter even if you are fat and out-of-shape or the complete opposite.

Ask yourself, do you want a factory rifle that shoots tiny group (less money) or a rifle that you can brag to your friends about and also shoots tiny groups (more money)?

There are many options today but discover what is most important to you.

P.S. Take money out of the equation and the 'cool' factor.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess a few ounces don't matter. I've always wanted an actual light gun. All my stuff weighs 9-10# hunting weight. For its intended purpose as a walk around gun, and future child's gun, I'd like it to hunt in the low 6's. The further south of 7# the better.

Those really light rifles are really tough to shoot in the field. It's entirely possible to overdo the lightweight deal.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

But 8 oz does not matter even if you are fat and out-of-shape or the complete opposite.

Ask yourself, do you want a factory rifle that shoots tiny group (less money) or a rifle that you can brag to your friends about and also shoots tiny groups (more money)?

If you throw your rifle to your shoulder and look through the scope with an 8 oz weight hanging from the trigger guard its barely noticeable.

Take the same 8 oz and hang it off the end of the barrel and it becomes a lot more noticeable.

In this regard fluted barrels are a really nice way to shed lbs.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shodd
Shodd, that would certainly fit the bill, but not sure where the nearest sportsman warehouse is to Michigan. Is that something my local guy could order me? He deals tikka.

The superlites are exclusive only to sportsman warehouse and apparently there are no sportmans warehouse in Michigan.

I'm not sure how you'd go about getting one?

Shod

And Scheels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you throw your rifle to your shoulder and look through the scope with an 8 oz weight hanging from the trigger guard its barely noticeable.

Take the same 8 oz and hang it off the end of the barrel and it becomes a lot more noticeable.

In this regard fluted barrels are a really nice way to shed lbs.

Shod

I don't believe we are talking about using a suppressor or not.

Did you miss the post where I stated I use a fluted barrel T3?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Those really light rifles are really tough to shoot in the field. It's entirely possible to overdo the lightweight deal.

I agree prairy goat! I've settled on a preference of 6 1/2-7 1/2 lbs or so much over 5 lbs. I do really like the super lite tikka and the only difference is the fluted barrel and price.

A fella could always get a tikka lite and have the barrel fluted and you'd be right there.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So 22 rimfire rifles should weigh in excess of XX lbs to shoot well? I have experienced that rifles larger than .22 cal center fire may be more difficult to shoot in the extreme light weight versions. But we are talking .223 here.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

What do you consider optimum weight for a 223 bolt action?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

So 22 rimfire rifles should weigh in excess of XX lbs to shoot well? I have experienced that rifles larger than .22 cal center fire may be more difficult to shoot in the extreme light weight versions. But we are talking .223 here.

Heavier rifles are easier to shoot in the field. Regardless of chambering. A balance of weight to portability is the key for a hunting gun.

Balance of the rifle itself is just as important. A 6.5 lb. NULA rifle is a lot easier to shoot well than a muzzle light Remington model Seven of similar weight.

Originally Posted by keystoneben

What do you consider optimum weight for a 223 bolt action?

It really depends on what you're looking to do.

The perfect rifle for shooting prairie dogs for hours on end from a static position will be much different than the perfect rifle for packing from stand to stand for coyotes.

For a nice balance of portability to shootability, somewhere around 7-8 lbs. all up works nicely for me. That's for any hunting rifle (short of the real heavy kickers), not just the 223. I've had a bunch on both sides of that number, and I keep coming back to rifles of that weight range.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
To the OP

You can certianly have a custom come out in your price range with careful shopping and have a great rifle.

If I wanted to built a new 223 tomorrow here is how I would go about it

remington 700 223 from walmart $377 with $40 rebate if you buy before the end of the year= $337 plus tax

Send the action to IT&D gunsmithing for either a remington sporter contour (this makes shopping for used stocks easier) or a #2 contour Douglas stainless 8 twist barrel. Price will be about $350 with shipping, I would spring for the extra $45 to beadblast the barrel unless you want to ceracoat the whole thing at some point.

If you are handy with basic tools and don't mind having to do some stock work yourself Look at a Bansner/High tech specialties stock ($270) or a bell and carlson Ti ($250).

If you aren't too handy go ahead and spring for the Mcmillan edge ($575 through the campfire) because it will only require bedding.

Also watch for deals on used stocks, If you are patient one will come along. I recently bought a Micky Edge for $300 in nice shape that just required rebedding to my rifle.

This puts you in a nice rifle for $1000 on the low end to $1400 on the high end and you will be pleased with the results I bet.

Prairie Goat is right about the weight/balance thing as well.
I have played around with the flyweights but for ease of shooting my favorite 22 cal rifle right now is my 223 AI that is between 7.25 and 7.5 pounds all up.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am in the same boat with others above. 7.0 to 8.25 lbs all up seems to be the best all around weight for me. I also prefer a little bit muzzle heavy for off hand shooting. As mentioned, if you are patient (and quick!) you can generally pick up serviceable used stuff in the classifieds for well under the new retail price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was the other part of the equation, gunsmith fees. We pretty much have one place in town that I know of.

Eddie Fosnaugh is a 3 hour drive for you

http://fosnaughcustoms.com/index.html

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I�d keep your eyes open for a tikka fluted superlight. I picked this one up used for $700 dollars w/ leupy vxIII 4.5-14. Even with the leupy 4.5-14x40 its still very light and shoots tiny little groups with bullets in the 65-75gr range. It particularly likes the ultramax 68gr MHP load. Really hard to get upset when a rifle shoots cheap ammo so well!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Josh Sorensen; 12/21/14.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shodd, that would certainly fit the bill, but not sure where the nearest sportsman warehouse is to Michigan. Is that something my local guy could order me? He deals tikka.

The superlites are exclusive only to sportsman warehouse and apparently there are no sportmans warehouse in Michigan.

I'm not sure how you'd go about getting one?

Shod

And Scheels.

Does Scheels offer an 8 twist 223 Superlite, or Lite, in stainless?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They did. You may still locate one through them.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd skip the Edge stock.

It sounds to me like what you really need is a 700 LVSF with a fast twist. Look around for one used / shot out in .223 or .17 Remington and replace the barrel with a fast twist .22.

Alternatively, I think you could start with a 700 SPS, replace the stock with a B&C, and change the barrel. Within budget.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,496
Posts18,452,430
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.