-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having had a couple of original model 71's and a few Barnes 250gr bullets to go with in the past, I can tell you that one CAN make 'em go 2500fps, but with that steel buttplate, you don't really want to do that, nor does one really need to. Doing so sounds sorta like BOOM..... OUCH! BOOM..... CRAP! BOOM.....Chit! Boom... WHY am I DOING this to myself! grin

Congratulations on a very fine rifle there, for sure.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Having had a couple of original model 71's and a few Barnes 250gr bullets to go with in the past, I can tell you that one CAN make 'em go 2500fps, but with that steel buttplate, you don't really want to do that, nor does one really need to. Doing so sounds sorta like BOOM..... OUCH! BOOM..... CRAP! BOOM.....Chit! Boom... WHY am I DOING this to myself! grin

Gunner's large enough that said loads would danged near bounce off him if he were on the RECEIVING end. Given the cannons he shoots otherwise, I doubt he'd fret much about the recoil of a .348.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I met him at a 24hrcf hog hunt, and we are pretty similar in size. I also have owned and shot a bunch of big bore rifles up through the 50 cal Elephant rounds and shoot a 416 Rigby loaded to 416WBY levels pretty regularly.

(ask Scope Eye 416 how he got his campfire handle wink )

The thin stock with lots of drop at the comb plus the unforgiving steel buttplate makes the recoil of those older lever rifles, with top end loads, a whole different animal from the big bores designed for heavy recoil.

But, we all feel and sense recoil differently and he may be able to fire hundreds of 250gr at 2500fps loads with nary a peep or bruise to show for it.

And, for all of my funnin about them, I would love to get my hands on a shooter grade Model 71 again some day. The model 7600 in 35 Whelen that I bought to fill the empty niche of my 71's is an OK rifle with identical ballistics but is no where NEAR as high a cool factor. And, knowing me, once in my possesion I would once again be throwin 250gr Barnes slugs at around 2500fps again. Just like I do with my lighter weight model 7600.

Last edited by safariman; 12/14/14.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager

Gunner's large enough that said loads would danged near bounce off him if he were on the RECEIVING end. Given the cannons he shoots otherwise, I doubt he'd fret much about the recoil of a .348.

This!

I'm a good 100# less than Gunner and load for and shoot a buddy's M71. It's a pussy cat even with that steel butt plate. laugh Can't wait for the hog hunt!

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I met him at a 24hrcf hog hunt, and we are pretty similar in size. I also have owned and shot a bunch of big bore rifles up through the 50 cal Elephant rounds and shoot a 416 Rigby loaded to 416WBY levels pretty regularly.

The thin stock with lots of drop at the comb plus the unforgiving steel buttplate makes the recoil of those older lever rifles, with top end loads, a whole different animal from the big bores designed for heavy recoil.

But, we all feel and sense recoil differently and he may be able to fire hundreds of 250gr at 2500fps loads with nary a peep or bruise to show for it.

And, for all of my funnin about them, I would love to get my hands on a shooter grade Model 71 again some day. The model 7600 in 35 Whelen that I bought to fill the empty niche of my 71's is an OK rifle with identical ballistics but is no where NEAR as high a cool factor. And, knowing me, once in my possesion I would once again be throwin 250gr Barnes slugs at around 2500fps again. Just like I do with my lighter weight model 7600.

You've described yourself and posted pics (6'3", 240ish). You're nowhere near Gunner's size and there are damned few men with his strength and power.

Yes, I know you'll be back to regale us all with tales of how you're Hercules incarnate, or were because you got sick, but please do spare us. It isn't necessary. This thread isn't about you, and frankly, few (if any) care.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

This!

I'm a good 100# less than Gunner and load for and shoot a buddy's M71. It's a pussy cat even with that steel butt plate. laugh Can't wait for the hog hunt!

WN

If I get my kidney transplant in time enough to be healed up, I might just meet up with you there. But not until 2016. 2015 is out of the question as I should be, with any luck, just getting ready for the big switcheroo. If a hog hunt is held in '16, I will probably bring my 416R again and if I still have it my model 7600 35 Whelen, just for kicks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

This!

WN

If I get my kidney transplant in time enough to be healed up, I might just meet up with you there. But not until 2016. 2015 is out of the question as I should be, with any luck, just getting ready for the big switcheroo. If a hog hunt is held in '16, I will probably bring my 416R again and if I still have it my model 7600 35 Whelen, just for kicks.

You assume you'd be invited.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You've described yourself and posted pics (6'3", 240ish). You're nowhere near Gunner's size and there are damned few men with his strength and power.

Yes, I know you'll be back to regale us all with tales of how you're Hercules incarnate, or were because you got sick, but please do spare us. It isn't necessary. This thread isn't about you, and frankly, few (if any) care.

Not going to claim I am as strong as he. And probably not even on my best day ever. Heck, Gunner500 is one of the guys on here I like and respect the most. Never intended to make the thread about me, just brought up that one CAN make a 348 run 2500fps with a 250, using modern powders. Also, that there is no need to do so. And, that with such loads the recoil is a bit stout. All true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whelen nut, I like that signature line of yours! I am a new to the fold owner of a 7600 in 35 Whelen. Looking forward to putting it to use someday soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For someone not wanting to make a thread about himself, you sure do focus the attention on you at every opportunity.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

He has one thing to hold above Gunner's head. i don't think Gunner has ever bragged about ass shooting a bear, letting his friend kill it the next day and claiming it as his own...just sayin

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R1150R
Hi Buddy,
You caught me still procrastinating.
I'd like to order the components and learn to reload but it will be easier to just order the loaded ammo from Buffalo Arms once we're in FL.

You got the dies yet? I think I saw some in a LGS

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great minds think alike, elsewise, I'd have to say YOU SUCK, PHILLISTINE!!!! (inserted for religious flavor smile ):

First on right. And Gunner, I have some very good loads sir, for either Barnes 250gr Originals, 250gr Woodleighs or 200gr Hornadys. Let me know.
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinYOU may now go suck an egg too!!! Man, there sure are a BUNCH of Ludicrous Suck qualified here!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is actually the newest rifle, a .218 Bee.

[Linked Image]

Epic suck wood. The other side is even better grin

But I've yet to find any damn brass for it, at least at a reasonable price. smirk

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 12/16/14.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Great minds think alike, elsewise, I'd have to say YOU SUCK, PHILLISTINE!!!! (inserted for religious flavor smile ):

First on right. And Gunner, I have some very good loads sir, for either Barnes 250gr Originals, 250gr Woodleighs or 200gr Hornadys. Let me know.
[Linked Image]

Thanks Jorge, BSA's gonna post up a group pic in a bit, I put 4 into 2 inches at 100 with the old peep sights firing the Barnes Original 250 gr bullets.

I dont think I can fire a peep sighted rifle hand held on a front bag any more accurately than that.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good shooting buddy!!!! Oh by the way, you do suck grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for taking good care of the old girl and appreciating it for what it is. That ol rifle has so much soul and mojo that it isn't even funny!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks BSA, all I need is a bit more trigger time familiarity and she'll be ready. wink

Gotta run, a Bud has a case stuck in a die laugh, think I'll bring an extra bottle of RCBS case lube and gently bounce it off his forehead when I get over there. ROR

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Many Thanks BSA, all I need is a bit more trigger time familiarity and she'll be ready. wink

Gotta run, a Bud has a case stuck in a die laugh, think I'll bring an extra bottle of RCBS case lube and gently bounce it off his forehead when I get over there. ROR

Ha ha.... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got the case out, didnt hit him with the case lube bottle, but, did leave it there with some direction. grin

Trump Won!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,320
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.