Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Holsters hold guns. Heavy guns drag on the belt, whether they are IWB or OWB holsters. To date, a good fitting, wide belt has been the best way to carry a heavy gun.

Most holsters today are leather or Kydex or Nylon and most offer a slick side that will slide up and down and side to side with ease. When one uses an outside the waist holster, the only thing supporting the gun is the leather belt. If it's a heavy gun, as the hours drag on, we become aware of that weight. Hence the development of alloy frames and polymers, to help take some of that weight off.

Inside the waistband holsters are not really much better, as they still mostly rely on the belt to keep the darn thing from falling down into the pants. I've tried several brands, and for heavy autos, I've decided this is just about as good as it gets.

[Linked Image]

The surface of these holsters is impregnated with a substance just like the silicone surface of one's oven mitts. It's "Tacky." It sort of sticks to surfaces and forms a bond. The weight of the gun, is therefore spread out over a large surface that involves both the pants, and the undergarment, whether that be a tucked in tee shirt, or one's underwear. If you don't wear underwear...I suppose it could be uncomfortable.

When you distribute the weight over a larger surface area, the weight virtually disappears, or at least, there is no feeling of belt drag.

This particular holster fits a full size 1911, a commander length (shown) and a compact. It also fits my CW-9, my XD-S and my J-Frame .38!

They make a holster without the clip as well, and I like it, because I can easily and quickly slip it from strong side to cross draw while driving so the seat belt doesn't interfere. For the price, these are about as good as it gets. They make magazine pouches as well. I've worn them all day and even without the clip, they stay put where you place them, even with vigorous walking and light jogging (with the proper supporting garment.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never found a better holster to carry a heavy pistol than the Crossbreed Super Tuck and from this photo this holster doesn't come close , but maybe I'm wrong .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dan is that "Micro" model holster?

Remoras are 40% off right now if ordered from their website, so the original model is about $15.00.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
This is the micro.

I have what I believe is a crossbreed copy in the Alien Gear holster. It too spreads the weight out over a great surface, but one disadvantage it has, is it cannot be nearly instantly shifted to another position. With the Remora design, you can move it to nearly any position on your belt in a matter of seconds. The tacky surface stays put once it's shifted, and the padded material is very soft.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a pretty cool idea. Thanks for posting it. I carry a full size all steel 1911 10mm for EDC so I will try one of these right away.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Dan...I just ordered two..one for a Glock 19 with the reinforced top and the other a standard for the 1911...both are full coverage as I have found with the new front sight on the Commander it will eat a hole in the back of my pants under the pocket...

Been looking for a IWB holster for the Glock as I don't like carrying a "safe-action" pistol IWB w/o a holster.

Two holsters plus a free mag pouch...40% off...no brainer...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I didn't think I'd like them, but a buddy talked me into my first one. They are quite a best kept secret.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks Dan

can't see not trying em when they're 40% off

perfect raingear, perfect holster, the holy grail, the search goes on....grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sent the holster site to a friend and he sent the following back...

"Joe gave me a similar one for my 380 Keltec. I used it two weeks and the gun developed significant rust. I went back to the leather one and no rust after two years (summer, winter, sweating, etc), and I never even take it out of the holster to wipe it down! The rubberized holster material just doesn't breathe."

Not sure it will apply to these holsters but definitely something to watch for...

Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been carrying a compact 1911 since October. No rust.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some Remoras, and they work OK and are a good value at a good price point. But, from my perspective, there is no great way to carry a heavy handgun.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 12/23/14.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not had the best of luck with them.

When I draw, I tend to have to also remove the holster from the gun.

I don't know why it is that way. The thing stays perfectly put and doesn't move a smidge when it's IWB. Then I go to draw and the whole ensemble comes out.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...if I find that is the case they will be going back...

But for the price they were worth a try..

Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
That's coz when you draw...you have to suck in your gut to find the gun and everything becomes loose! smile

They stay put for me. I practice my concealed draw at the range all the time, and the gun and holster separate easily. One thing about the tacky surface, you occasionally have to give it a wipe down to revitalize the tack and not with an oily rag.

The buddy who turned me on to them, carries a 629 3" in one and he loves it more than any leather rig he's found. The weight is well distributed over a large surface area on the body and garment.

They may not be for everyone, but I'm merely comparing the feel of a heavy gun in one, over one where the belt is the main support.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 12/24/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
That's coz when you draw...you have to suck in your gut to find the gun and everything becomes loose! smile

That very well may be so! laugh

Did my wife put you up to that!? grin

Dan, another thing to consider with those holsters is that you can tuck them between the seat in your truck and the center console.

Makes a very convenient place to put your gun while on the road.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had one, thought it was a POS, about one step removed from Uncle Mikes. After a few others, to include a couple of Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosens, I have decided the hybrid leather/kydex to the best IWB solution yet achieved. I prefer the Comp Tac offerings, but the Crossbreed is a very good holster as well.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well mine came in yesterday and I can say I'm impressed.

I carry IWB for CC and generally use either no holster at all or something very light like the Bianchi #6 that is just a piece of swede leather with a strong clip. From 1980 when I started carrying a Commander daily till 2007 I used no holster at all...just tucked the gun in behind the left hip butt forward. The only reason for going to the Bianchi is I changed guns and the new one had a front night sight that wore holes in my pants under the left rear pocket...

So I ordered two, one for a Commander which would also carry and Officers or Defender but not a GM. The other was for a Glock 19. Ordered the standard non reinforced top for the Commander and the reinforced top for the Glock.

Carried both yesterday switching them out and changing carry positions from my standard carry to standard strong side. Once in place they don't move at all. And forget about the holster coming out with the gun on the draw...ain't going to happen.

This is stuck like Velcro between ones pants and shirt.

Have been wearing just the Commander all day today and unless you drop your draws to go the holster is staying right where you put it. It's also nice as if you sit and need to adjust a little for comfort a little push on the butt of the gun will make the adjustment.

Works for me...YMMV...

..and believe me I've had Uncle Mike's and this isn't anything like an Uncle Mikes...

Thanks Dan....Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Glock with the free mag carrier that was part of the Christmas promotion... The top is kept open with a very thin layer of Kydex... This solved the problem of an IWB holster for the Glock as I don't carry any "safe-action" pistol IWB without a holster...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/HandgunII/004_zps4d3d683e.jpg[/img]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've used them on and off over the years. Only downside is that you forget that they are not being held in place and they can end up in the toilet. Did this with an mag carrier. Could be a bigger problem in public with a gun.

FWIW,

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 01/08/15.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ex-girlfriend did that with a KelTec .32 with the side clip...was clipped to the back of her pants...drop pants..splash....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.