Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if they weren't responsible. The question I have is concerning the release of the racially charged emails.

Why would a communist regime even consider stirring the pot with the release of those emails?

It just doesn't seem logical or make sense. This seems like the act of someone who has a beef with Sony and in particular the execs. I can understand the NORKs being being pizzed off about the release of a film that makes fun of their dear leader but the emails?

There's rumors that the hack wasn't necessarily a hack but the theft of an administrator's password. That would indicate an inside job.

???

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I couldn't figure out why all of the exposed emails concerning actors' character flaws and other extraneous BS if it was a hack job my the NORKS. If they were pizzed off about the movie and could hack the syster, why not just shut it down or fill the space with NORK propaganda?

Something doesn't pass the smell test here.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Me too.^^^^^

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And yet, just yesterday, that psycho Kim Jung Un-believable said, in effect, "We had nothing to do with it, and if you don't do what we say, we'll do it again."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's another thing.

How would the communists in a closed society even know about the actors or Hollywood and what would cause controversy?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
North Korea has a large number of state employed hackers, the Sony hack looks like a combination of a social engineering attack to get initial access followed by some custom code which spread due to very poor system security settings.

Technically... it doesn't sound as though there's anything that tricky in it.

The only amazing thing about this is that they were in so long and got so much and Sony never had a clue.

North Korea hates Hollywood, hates the US, and it's no surprise to me they dumped a lot of info. They probably kept back enough to blackmail Sony into cancelling the movie, but they crave stupid stunts like this in which they can propagandize how much better they are than the West.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm entertained by anything that comes out of his mouth.

It may be the NORKS, but if this is their level of cyber sabotage, I think Sony needs to make another movie, this one about their Keystone Kops government.

Jackie Chan should play the fearless NORK leader, Dennis Miller should play the head of Sony, Chris Rock should play "O", Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber) should play Biden, and Owen Wilson should play the head of the FBI.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Now they are saying they will attack the Pentagon and WH. I wonder if they can hack the electrical grid and this is a way of showing they can and extorting US?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You could insert one piece of logic into what seems to not make sense.

Kim Jong is bizarre beyond reason.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WildWest
Now they are saying they will attack the Pentagon and WH. I wonder if they can hack the electrical grid and this is a way of showing they can and extorting US?

They say this kind of stuff all the time. Any time we do drills with South Korea, or mention that their Dear Leader is a dictator, or whatever. Going to blow up the entire US, or Hawaii, or Guam, or Washington...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Not too worried about them... wink

Loudmouth punk in charge of the country there. I can sympathize with them, as we have the same.

Just to be on the safe side, though... I think we ought to send a platoon of Marines over to take away their slingshots and bottle rockets. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What might the hackers actually have that's seriously threatening? A few embarrassing e-mails and some movie scripts. Other than the press, who cares. Certainly won't impact my daily life.

It's not like they hacked into BPA's electrical grid.

1Minute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Kim Jong aka 'Stump'...is like some more folks I know! He'd rather climb a thorn tree backwards and tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
North Korea's internet appears to be under mass cyber attack

Internet connectivity between North Korea and the outside world, though never robust to begin with, is currently suffering one of its worst outages in recent memory, suggesting that the country may be enduring a mass cyber attack a few days after President Obama warned the US would launch a "proportional response" to North Korea's hack against Sony.

"I haven't seen such a steady beat of routing instability and outages in KP before," said Doug Madory, director of Internet analysis at the cybsecurity firm Dyn Research, according to Martyn Williams of the excellent blog North Korea Tech. Madory explained, "Usually there are isolated blips, not continuous connectivity problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they are absorbing some sort of attack presently."

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NeBassman
North Korea's internet appears to be under mass cyber attack

Internet connectivity between North Korea and the outside world, though never robust to begin with, is currently suffering one of its worst outages in recent memory, suggesting that the country may be enduring a mass cyber attack a few days after President Obama warned the US would launch a "proportional response" to North Korea's hack against Sony.

"I haven't seen such a steady beat of routing instability and outages in KP before," said Doug Madory, director of Internet analysis at the cybsecurity firm Dyn Research, according to Martyn Williams of the excellent blog North Korea Tech. Madory explained, "Usually there are isolated blips, not continuous connectivity problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they are absorbing some sort of attack presently."

Sounds like an EXCELLENT idea!

(In which case, we know the idea wasn't Obama's.) grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One of the issues I've heard in regards to a counter cyber attack by the US is it will reveal our capabilities. The NORKs (or whoever) would do the same type of analysis that we do when someone hacks into one of our computer systems. You find where the vulnerabilities are and a way to stop the next attack.

Would we/should we use that option now or wait until a far more serious attack occurred?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I couldn't figure out why all of the exposed emails concerning actors' character flaws and other extraneous BS if it was a hack job my the NORKS. If they were pizzed off about the movie and could hack the syster, why not just shut it down or fill the space with NORK propaganda?

Ed

A story consistent with the famous Bengazzi YouTube video.....

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's what I thought also.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
90% of a large scale hack, like this one is intelligence collection.

It starts off with gathering public info on the target. Names of employees etc.

Then you gather public info about those employees. Social media is a gold mine for this step.

Then you look at the backgrounds of these people. The more info you have on them, the easier the actual hack is. This data will be used in later parts of the attack for password cracking and social engineering (I can call an employee and say that I'm Steve Smith from IT and need them to give me remote access to fix an issue. They will believe it because Steve Smith really does work in IT.

Then you look for the public face of their network. DMZ servers, email servers, border routers, firewalls, etc. With this you begin to build a network map.

Next they will begin checking for open ports on the network. This will not only tell them avenues of approach, but it will tell them a lot about how business is conducted within the company. You can learn what software is in use, what operating systems you're dealing with and so on.

This is still all in the intelligence collection phase of the attack.

Learning what services computers are using can tell you did like netbios names and domain names. This leads you to domain controller servers.

Now you can see where the hash values are stored for passwords. You can copy those and toss them into a password cracking computer(s).

Once you have a good collection of who works where and does what, and you have a detailed lay out of the devices on the network, software in use and user credentials, you can begin the actual attack.

Place a few hidden rootkit bots through out the network for things like keystroke recording etc, you have a hidden backdoor where time is on your side. Record everything everywhere.

You're in and out of the network in mere seconds undetected never need to return.

The Intel you can get on a business and the people in it is mind blowing. The damage that could be done with all of that would cripple a business and ruin people's lives.

Think Sandra Bullock in The Net...

Could the norks do this? Yep!

Would it benefit them? Oh hell yeah.

To get caught is amateur hour. Which is also believable for it being norks.

I think it's plausible and likely that it was done by them. I don't believe they acted alone though

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
Here's another thing.

How would the communists in a closed society even know about the actors or Hollywood and what would cause controversy?

They would get that info as a part of the hacking process.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if they weren't responsible. The question I have is concerning the release of the racially charged emails.

Why would a communist regime even consider stirring the pot with the release of those emails?

It just doesn't seem logical or make sense. This seems like the act of someone who has a beef with Sony and in particular the execs. I can understand the NORKs being being pizzed off about the release of a film that makes fun of their dear leader but the emails?

There's rumors that the hack wasn't necessarily a hack but the theft of an administrator's password. That would indicate an inside job.

???

It makes complete sense and is completely plausible to me.

The name of the game is leverage

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

You know how in a hostage situation, you require "proof of life"?

Private emails are that proof of life, or proof of hack.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun

They say this kind of stuff all the time. Any time we do drills with South Korea, or mention that their Dear Leader is a dictator, or whatever. Going to blow up the entire US, or Hawaii, or Guam, or Washington...

[Linked Image]

Which is why I can believe the hack was by them, and at the same time not believe that they are going to blow up a movie theater in L.A.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the issues I've heard in regards to a counter cyber attack by the US is it will reveal our capabilities. The NORKs (or whoever) would do the same type of analysis that we do when someone hacks into one of our computer systems. You find where the vulnerabilities are and a way to stop the next attack.

Would we/should we use that option now or wait until a far more serious attack occurred?

Would it make you nervous if I told you that private hackers and the Government have been more and more cozy lately?

The head of the NSA and CyberCom was a guest speaker at DefCon and BlackHat this year and last.

They wouldn't have to reveal the government's capability when they can elicit the help of the hacker community at large.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now, on the other side of the coin.

If I were to do a false flag with the secret mindset to continue to attack China in the cyber world, it would look similar to this....

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nothing we do will expose any serious capabilities we have. It's almost assured that North Korea internet infrastructure can be shut down or anyplace inside hacked with probably simpler attacks than was used against Sony.

The appropriate response would be to infiltrate their government computers with about a dozen different morphone rootkits, making them reinstall every single Windows95 computer from floppy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
325 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.