-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I meant was......Please read the Montana project thread.....then read it again......and get back to us.

I think there's a link in one of the early posts in this thread.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where in TX are you?

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hill Country. Near New Braunfels

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What sort of front rest and back bag are you using? Light weight rifles can be a challenge to shoot accurately. Especially if you don't have good bench technique or a decent rest/bag combination. I'm using a Caldwell Rock BR front rest. Stable,adjustable,and affordable. My back bag is a left over from my BR days. An old leather short ear Bald Eagle. I use it in conjunction with a "doughnut" or rear bag stabilizer. It negates the rounded bottom most back bags end up with in time. A mountain weight rig in a squishy rolly polly sandbag up front,and something worse in the back is nothing short of a bitch to group well with. At the very least pick up a bulls bag if you don't have a decent rest and back bag. It will make life a little easier tuning a rifle.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
That's some pretty sad performance from an $1100.00 rifle and even more amazing that the "fire" has to have a thread on how to fix them......Kimber needs to get their act together!

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a little over a hour away from you. I'll gladly take your rifle in, bed it and work up a load with the 75gr AMaxes, you provide components.

PM if interested....

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would not do anything that would make Kimber possibly not make a repair if in fact it needs it. I have a hard time believing the bedding is a big issue especially on something with as little recoil as a .223. But then again I'd never not bed a rifle. Are both of the lugs touching? The magazine is definitely not binding? I would put some Tubbs Final Finish through it and see what happens.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by joshf303
I'm a little over a hour away from you. I'll gladly take your rifle in, bed it and work up a load with the 75gr AMaxes, you provide components.

PM if interested....

Darn generous of you.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Front action screw is catching threads just fine, but appears its doing some rubbing on the stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That front action screw rubbing is a red flag - It's not rubbing because the stock is pulled tightly into the action....

Read this:

Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The front action screw is also an enemy. It's too long as well and bottoms out in several Montana's I've owned as of late.

The pics below aren't great and it's hard to see what I'm referencing. In person, the results are glaring. The screw makes contact and polishes things up a bit. As usual, if your front action screw isn't fully seated groups will open up considerably.

Some guys use lipstick or a magic marker to check this. I've done so in the past. The action below was as new, then after about 20 shots. Things are polishing up and showing me the screw needs some attention.

As new...

[Linked Image]

After...

[Linked Image]

You need to address the front action screw before worrying about bedding, sending it to Kimber or anything else....

David

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Out of curiosity, what should the front action screw measure?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe try Sticks "saddle straddle". I still say the components alone are worth $1,100. You be almost the same money in a McMillan stocked SS ADL and still have an X-Mark trigger.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good question. I'd prefer to not cut one down, and instead have one the right size. I'll call Kimber and see if they will send me one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the variation will be due to stock/pillar variations more than screw variations. In other words, the same front action screw length that snugs up tight on my rifle might bottom out in yours. Only way to know is to check your rifle.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kimber will send you a screw that is the exact same length as the your current front action screw....

Determine if this is the problem first - Look at SAS's post that I quoted. Can you see similar rub marks on your action? Still not sure? Put some lipstick on the tip of the action screw and tighten it back up - is lipstick on the action?

Cutting a screw back is easy and quick. If this is your problem (the pictures in your initial post indicate that it may be), the improvements will be very noticeable.

David

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Seems a great production run!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chuck that screw in a drill and spin & file til you're happy...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by add
Seems a great production run!

Hey OutdoorAg, if you don't mind me asking, was this rifle recently produced?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Good question. I'd prefer to not cut one down, and instead have one the right size. I'll call Kimber and see if they will send me one.

1. So the front action screw is bottoming out? How about the front base screw? I think 16B asked these questions but I never saw an answer.

2. Does the action stay in the stock if you turn the works upside down without screws installed?

3. If you put the rear screw in the front, how does it look? The rear screw is long enough to see the alignment. If you push the action rearward, is the screw more or less centered?

4. If the action slides fore-aft in the stock can you slide the action rearward and tighten the action screws (in their normal locations)?

5. Since you don't want to bed the rifle, can you cut some plastic from a bottle and shim behind the lug? Is the screw still centered (see #3)?

6. What is the trigger pull weight?

7. What is the rest set-up while shooting? Solid bench, prone, or ???

8. What's the crown look like? Factory?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
9. How were you holding your mouth?

10. What was the moon phase?

11. Before or after lunch?

12. Less filling?

13. Tastes great?

14. You ever been in a Turkish prison?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you want what a Montana offers, you gotta pay the price.

If you don't, a WalMart Remmy will work well enough.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.