Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Warning: This thread is picture heavy.

After reading the 'Montana Project', I took my troubled 223 to the range for similar testing. I call the rifle 'troubled' because I've yet to find a load it likes. The gun won't group.

I've filled this thread with pictures of groups, and of the rifle taken apart. I'm hoping those of you with more experience and age with rifles can help develop a plan for getting this gun to shoot.

To remove any reloading variables, I grabbed two boxes of quality ammo. I've always had good luck with Federals stuff, the Fusions and the higher grade Premium:

[Linked Image]

Lets start with Round 1, snug on the action screws. First up were the Fusions and a 10 shot group. Pitiful with a capital P:

[Linked Image]

Next were the Premium loads, another 10 shot group. I was able to label each shot, as it walked the group two inches left to right as I shot. Interesting how it would touch two, then jump and touch two.

[Linked Image]

After that awesome display of accuracy, I made a change on the action screws from snug to 'oh yeah, thats tight'. The groups changed, but still lack acceptable accuracy from a $1100 rifle.

Round 2 with the Fusions. Much better than Fusion round one, but nothing to tape on the fridge at home:

[Linked Image]

Round 2 with the Premiums that again walked right to left allowing me to number the shots 1-10:

[Linked Image]

The big question in all of this - where to go from here? Agian, groups 1 and 2 were shot with different action screw torque.

I don't doubt the Montana platform, as I have a 84L in 270 that just plain shoots. Lets call it a 'Tikka Montana' because the gun is that accurate with just about every load. But I doubt this gun. Something is not right.

I pulled the rifle apart and took pictures of a variety of things.

First, the follower sucks. Any rear pressure and the SOB pops up. Doesn't cause cycling hiccups, not sure if its the side effect of something else hampering my accuracy:

[Linked Image]

I've taken a dremel to the feet of the mag box and where it likes to dig into the stock. Only mods I've made from the tinkering thread:

[img]http://i1104.photobucket.com/a...-A98E-6D1FE4759B51_zps7yiy0ryr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1104.photobucket.com/a...-981B-B818173EC45C_zpscjqyfcvh.jpg[/img]

Bedding: None. I've waited on this, wondering if this one needs a new barrel before I spend the money on bedding. Some looks at the stock:

[img]http://i1104.photobucket.com/a...-B157-5BB5EFE1CDCC_zpsc5ak7z10.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1104.photobucket.com/a...-A40A-FE987320C4A7_zpsmtqyv8jj.jpg[/img]

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Two other items that caught my eye:

Bottom of the spring was machined by a three year old:

[Linked Image]

Front action screw is catching threads just fine, but appears its doing some rubbing on the stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wow

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Three things say bedding to me. First, it shoots then jumps. Second, it walks. Third, it changes with torque. If it were mine I would bed it before anything else and go from there.
And while you are at it, relieve that front action screw.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 12/22/14.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Is the scope a proven performer? I would switch it out for one that is, to eliminate that variable. Are the front scope bases screws truly tight or are they bottoming out?

I might be tempted to shoot a group with all of the magazine parts (box, spring, follower) out. But I'll bet that you end up bedding it. Before you do that, though, you might consider sending it back to Kimber to make sure there is nothing wrong with the barrel. I suspect that if you bed it, they would regard the warranty voided.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Tag

“Factio democratica delenda est"
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Scope is a new out of the box Mark AR. It's only been on this gun. I had a VX2 2-7 on it before, didn't shoot then and doesn't shoot now. I'd rule out the scope.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Might be the barrel, if you have access to someone with a borescope I would have them take a look.
To get an idea of the condition of the bore, poke a Q-tip an inch down the muzzle to reflect light and look down it with a magnifying glass with a strong light behind you.
I've got a 300 win mag that shoots like that and after I looked down the barrel I can see why.
I'm not spending another dime or investing any more time on it. It is what it is and it's "good enough" for big game, but forget about precision.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dooger
Wow

x2. Shotguns pattern better than that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bed it.

Try some different ammo, especially some with lighter bullets. One thing I�ve noticed with Kimbers is that it can be a mistake to try and force them to like a certain bullet. Let the rifle tell you what it likes. Sometimes that takes a little experimenting with different loads.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd follow the instructions in the Montana Tinkering thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read this two or thirty times....

Big Stick - "Old Meets New"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn. Kimber wants how much for those? shocked

I hope you can find the magic formula to get it to group.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There are already rub marks starting on the stock. The thing is moving around.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Quality issues it appears. Try switching the scope,,,even new ones can be bad.

Have someone else (or even two people ) see how it shoots for them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by utah708

I might be tempted to shoot a group with all of the magazine parts (box, spring, follower) out. But I'll bet that you end up bedding it. Before you do that, though, you might consider sending it back to Kimber to make sure there is nothing wrong with the barrel. I suspect that if you bed it, they would regard the warranty voided.

You will most definitely void the warranty if you bed it.

Before you do anything to it, send it back to Kimber with some very strong verbalization of the complaints & include some targets.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
There are already rub marks starting on the stock. The thing is moving around.

Yep, I noticed that too. A decent bedding job will surely benefit that rifle.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by utah708

You will most definitely void the warranty if you bed it.

Before you do anything to it, send it back to Kimber with some very strong verbalization of the complaints & include some targets.

MM

Probably good advice if you are concerned about the warranty. I always fix the stuff myself, but that is just me. Replacing a barrel on a >1K rifle should not have to be a concern, but I know it happens. Seems as though the Kimber quality gamble continues.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
Damn. Kimber wants how much for those? shocked

I hope you can find the magic formula to get it to group.

If you want to make the assumption that the barrel is good, it's likely nothing that can't be fixed with correct bedding & finding what it likes for barrel pressure or lack thereof.

Anyone who's had a lot of rifles will likely have worked though the same scenario more that one.

Ammo can still play a role as well.

Had a new 1st Gen Ti 7-08 that was so badly fitted that I could literally watch the barrel bend when it was screwed together...........fixed it right & it's now a 1/2" rifle.

Just a question of asking Kimber to live up to their responsibility to deliver a decent shooting gun or doing it yourself.

Unless you want to give up on it & just flog it............

MM

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think we can rule out the scope, since it has shot equally badly with 2 quality scopes.

If this gun shot sorta ok, I would take the leap and bed it. It does look like that would help some. But it shoots SO poorly that I fear there may be a significant flaw in the barreled action. I would want to have Kimber rule that out before I take the step of bedding it, and in so doing give Kimber a free pass on fixing a problem because I have voided the warranty.

My completely unscientific view of bedding is that it typically cuts the group size by about a third. Sometimes it cuts the group size in half, but that is not common. But this gun appears to be shooting 4" groups. Reducing them by even half is not enough to make this gun a keeper, IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any chance the front action screw or scope mount screw is hitting the bolt head? Color it with a sharpie. Hate to sound like BS, but you gotta nip mechanicals because the best ammo is schit otherwise. I went through the ringer with my 6x45. Using the same load all the way through the process and it went from 1" 2 in one out crap to nice 1/2" groups.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bed it. Try a 55 grain.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm split between tinkering myself (my preference) vs sending off to Kimber.

The votes for trying a lighter grain bullet...no thanks. I bought the Kimber because it has the twist to shoot heavies. If I want to shoot 55s, I would have grabbed any 10 or 12 twist out there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I�m not seeing a rifle in need of rebarreling. If more folks took their new rifles out and put several 10 round groups on target, a whole bunch of them wouldn�t be far off of this. Instead they shoot a couple three shot groups and blame the bad groups on �fliers� or �I pulled one�.

Your rifle will come around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would send the rifle back to Kimber, let them figure out
what is wrong.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd tinker.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Your rifle will come around

In what order would you proceed?

1) Bed
2) shoot again
3) ?

It sounds like once I do #1, Kimber won't touch it. And if it needs a new barrel...I didn't sign up for a $1000 donor action.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If it makes you feel safer, send it to Kimber and complain about the barrel. They will either deny you or rebarrel it. When you get it back, it will shoot the same either way, because the problem is not the barrel.

It is not bedded properly yet. Did you read the thread above on ARAIG? It will help you understand a lot of what is probably going on. A heavier rifle masks most of these problems; a Kimber will not.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love him or hate him, Stick knows his way around a Montana, as does Smoker. If you read through that thread you'll see he's running 75's. I've got a 270 WSM that I haven't run one round through yet. Both of those threads are book marked and I ain't worried.

I can understand hesitation with a new rig for sure. Mine was used so that ship sailed.

I suggest an emergency unbanning of Stick so this rig can get underway. Between the two I bet it'll sing.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
gosh I like my pre 64 M70's. That said, kimber has surely put out some great shooters as seen by some folks, but that follower....thats the "wow" to me.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Yeah the handiwork on the follower spring is terrible. Trying to read Boxer's stuff and figure out how to mod the mag for longer bullets and to stop the follower hiccups.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Aren't these tips/suggestions , along with proper load development, the same ones you got last time you posted the same topic????? crazy

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
After reading the 'Montana Project' thread, and having never tried factory ammo, I thought I'd combine the 10-shot group lessons learned with some tinkering - "proper load development".

Posted the results, and looking for some extra help. Having read the Montana tips info, I've followed all suggestions - leaving bedding for last. The question is - do the groups show a rifle that needs beddding?

Yes

Would said bedding make the rifle a shooter? Thats what I'm trying to determine vs sending off to Kimber or just ordering a new barrel and let a gunsmith put it together properly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try some 50's to figure out wtf if nothing else. If it shoots them good you know it's not digging the heavies. You're kinda backwards and being stubborn about it ain't gonna give you any clues as to what's up.

1-9" isn't a guarantee it will shoot 75's. My new Montana is 1-9.25" and won't in the cold foggy weather here. Did you check twist with a cleaning rod?

If you haven't bedded a rifle before I sure wouldn't wanna learn on one of these. Pretty sensitive little action. Mine was shooting pretty good but I bedded it and it's gotten worse. I did the best looking bedding job I've ever done too, but I screwed the pooch somewhere. Just my luck I guess.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Haven't bedding a rifle before, and don't plan to try on this one. Will hopefully find a smith willing to give it a go.

Or a 24HCF member who wants to help and willing to put their name on trying to make this rifle right.

It might not shoot 75s, but the Fusions were 62. I'll grab a box of 50 somethings to satisfy that question.

If it shoots only the 50s and nothing else, this rifle will be for sale. I doubt it, as others have the Kimber 223 shooting heavies.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Quite simply at the price of the Kimber you have expectations that it should perform better than that or that they should stand behind it and repair it. Even if it is a bedding issue you would be enabling them to continue producing a poor product if you fix it yourself. As long as folks continue fixing their screw-ups they have no incentive to be sure that they are right when they are shipped. There are so many things wrong with it that it should never have left the shop.

Why buy an $1100 Kimber to have to work on it, if you need a project rifle buy a Walmart $300 Rem 700.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've never bought an $1100 rifle I didn't have to work on...

but my two Kimbers just took a trigger tweak and done.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Clearly your problem is that you're shooting groups of too many shots. Seriously, there are aplenty pretty 3-shot groups on your targets. Folks should note that.

Last edited by turkish; 12/22/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by turkish
Clearly your problem is that you're shooting groups of too many shots.

[Linked Image]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I meant was......Please read the Montana project thread.....then read it again......and get back to us.

I think there's a link in one of the early posts in this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where in TX are you?

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hill Country. Near New Braunfels

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What sort of front rest and back bag are you using? Light weight rifles can be a challenge to shoot accurately. Especially if you don't have good bench technique or a decent rest/bag combination. I'm using a Caldwell Rock BR front rest. Stable,adjustable,and affordable. My back bag is a left over from my BR days. An old leather short ear Bald Eagle. I use it in conjunction with a "doughnut" or rear bag stabilizer. It negates the rounded bottom most back bags end up with in time. A mountain weight rig in a squishy rolly polly sandbag up front,and something worse in the back is nothing short of a bitch to group well with. At the very least pick up a bulls bag if you don't have a decent rest and back bag. It will make life a little easier tuning a rifle.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
That's some pretty sad performance from an $1100.00 rifle and even more amazing that the "fire" has to have a thread on how to fix them......Kimber needs to get their act together!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a little over a hour away from you. I'll gladly take your rifle in, bed it and work up a load with the 75gr AMaxes, you provide components.

PM if interested....

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would not do anything that would make Kimber possibly not make a repair if in fact it needs it. I have a hard time believing the bedding is a big issue especially on something with as little recoil as a .223. But then again I'd never not bed a rifle. Are both of the lugs touching? The magazine is definitely not binding? I would put some Tubbs Final Finish through it and see what happens.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by joshf303
I'm a little over a hour away from you. I'll gladly take your rifle in, bed it and work up a load with the 75gr AMaxes, you provide components.

PM if interested....

Darn generous of you.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Front action screw is catching threads just fine, but appears its doing some rubbing on the stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That front action screw rubbing is a red flag - It's not rubbing because the stock is pulled tightly into the action....

Read this:

Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The front action screw is also an enemy. It's too long as well and bottoms out in several Montana's I've owned as of late.

The pics below aren't great and it's hard to see what I'm referencing. In person, the results are glaring. The screw makes contact and polishes things up a bit. As usual, if your front action screw isn't fully seated groups will open up considerably.

Some guys use lipstick or a magic marker to check this. I've done so in the past. The action below was as new, then after about 20 shots. Things are polishing up and showing me the screw needs some attention.

As new...

[Linked Image]

After...

[Linked Image]

You need to address the front action screw before worrying about bedding, sending it to Kimber or anything else....

David

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Out of curiosity, what should the front action screw measure?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe try Sticks "saddle straddle". I still say the components alone are worth $1,100. You be almost the same money in a McMillan stocked SS ADL and still have an X-Mark trigger.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good question. I'd prefer to not cut one down, and instead have one the right size. I'll call Kimber and see if they will send me one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the variation will be due to stock/pillar variations more than screw variations. In other words, the same front action screw length that snugs up tight on my rifle might bottom out in yours. Only way to know is to check your rifle.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kimber will send you a screw that is the exact same length as the your current front action screw....

Determine if this is the problem first - Look at SAS's post that I quoted. Can you see similar rub marks on your action? Still not sure? Put some lipstick on the tip of the action screw and tighten it back up - is lipstick on the action?

Cutting a screw back is easy and quick. If this is your problem (the pictures in your initial post indicate that it may be), the improvements will be very noticeable.

David

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Seems a great production run!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chuck that screw in a drill and spin & file til you're happy...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by add
Seems a great production run!

Hey OutdoorAg, if you don't mind me asking, was this rifle recently produced?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good question. I'd prefer to not cut one down, and instead have one the right size. I'll call Kimber and see if they will send me one.

1. So the front action screw is bottoming out? How about the front base screw? I think 16B asked these questions but I never saw an answer.

2. Does the action stay in the stock if you turn the works upside down without screws installed?

3. If you put the rear screw in the front, how does it look? The rear screw is long enough to see the alignment. If you push the action rearward, is the screw more or less centered?

4. If the action slides fore-aft in the stock can you slide the action rearward and tighten the action screws (in their normal locations)?

5. Since you don't want to bed the rifle, can you cut some plastic from a bottle and shim behind the lug? Is the screw still centered (see #3)?

6. What is the trigger pull weight?

7. What is the rest set-up while shooting? Solid bench, prone, or ???

8. What's the crown look like? Factory?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
9. How were you holding your mouth?

10. What was the moon phase?

11. Before or after lunch?

12. Less filling?

13. Tastes great?

14. You ever been in a Turkish prison?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you want what a Montana offers, you gotta pay the price.

If you don't, a WalMart Remmy will work well enough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

*Master of random precision*
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Replacing the barrel should be way down the list. This rifle has a bedding problem. Take the advice given concerning the action screws as step one. Step two will be glass (epoxy) bedding. If that doesn't work, sell it.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by one horn
Replacing the barrel should be way down the list. This rifle has a bedding problem. Take the advice given concerning the action screws as step one. Step two will be glass (epoxy) bedding. If that doesn't work, sell it.

If the above doesn't do it, I would run some tubs Final Finish bullets through it. If that didn't make it shoot then I would consider selling but this rifle WILL shoot once you determine what is ailing it. Sometimes they just take a bit of fiddling.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by one horn

If the above doesn't do it, I would run some tubs Final Finish bullets through it. If that didn't make it shoot then I would consider selling but this rifle WILL shoot once you determine what is ailing it. Sometimes they just take a bit of fiddling.

I agree. I doubt it is the barrel. Not sure how many rounds have been placed downrange, but sometimes it takes a while for newer barrels to shoot. My opinion is that this is a bedding problem, along with that front action screw needing to be shortened (which is a bedding problem).

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My 300 wsm Montana is shooting right at 1/2" now for three shots @100 yds. I drilled out the front guard screw hole(pillar) the next drill diameter larger on mine. Guard screws should not make contact with the stock except at the head. Also check your bolt lug contact, I had to lap in my lugs on this one and a 338 Federal, only one lug on each rifle was contacting the reciever. My guard screws are super tight also.
These are really nice rifles when their shooting well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not through tuning my 7mm-08 Montana, and just picked up a Classic Select in .257 Roberts. I appreciate all the shared wisdom here on the Campfire.

I collect Ruger Number Ones - that have interesting reputations of their own, as far as accuracy. In a way, I suspect Kimbers are sorta like #1's. You have to hold your mouth just right, or adjust the bedding tighter, or looser, or float the barrel, or not, or a tighter hold, or looser, or lighter bullets, or heavier, or...or...etc, etc smirk

But I have a suspicion Kimbers may be like #1's - just get a good barrel and they suddenly become a lot less fussy. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Trash.
Wouldn't sell them without full page color ads in the back of rifle magazines.
Best said by W.W. Greener in his classic book The Gun and its Development (1910 edition).
"In no country are better sportsmen to be found than in the United States of America, nor does any country posses keener buyers or better men of business, yet in no country is so much worthless rubbish of the (mass production) gun-factories offered for sale. The Boers are a race of sportsmen, but it is of no use to offer them rubbish at any price, and the author can hardly believe that the astute American will sacrifice everything to cheapness".

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it is a bad barrel best of luck with Kimber replacing it. Been down that road.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 28lx
If it is a bad barrel best of luck with Kimber replacing it. Been down that road.

Me too. Got a brand new .223 Montana in exchange for a 7mm-08 I purchased second hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You definitely got better service than me. The chamber on my 257 Roberts was cut so bad the brass came out shaped like an octagon. Sent it to Kimber they sent it back saying it was within spec.

Last edited by 28lx; 12/23/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You definitely got better service than me. The chamber on my 257 Roberts was cut so bad the brass came out shaped like an octagon. Sent it to Kimber they sent it back saying it was within spec.

Laughin' here..........I don't think Kimber is alone in their definition of various things being "in spec".

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would send it to Kimber and tell them to shoot it .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I agree, when you pay well over $1,200. for a rifle, that
should get you one that shoots well. Those are serious
dollars, and place them in custom range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Show me a $1,200 custom....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

I'd have sent the barrel back to them after my smith removed it and told them to stick it up their azz. No excuse for that.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before ordering a new screw, can you try adding a washer as a spacer?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore

I do know $1,200 will get you a rifle that shoots better
than the targets from the post #1, above.

The Weatherby Vanguard S2 guarantees SUB-MOA out of the box.
That means .99" at 100 yds.
Mine in 25-06 does that very well. For under $500.

It seems the Kimber here does not do that.

That is why he should send it back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I agree, when you pay well over $1,200. for a rifle, that
should get you one that shoots well. Those are serious
dollars, and place them in custom range.

You need to look around more....and not be in a hurry. I've acquired mine second-hand for $850 to $900. Most with Talley Ltwt's included. ALL of them shoot. And even Remington is not far from getting into that territory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

5-1/3 lbs versus 7-1/4 lbs. Not apples to apples.

Stainless versus blued. Not apples to apples.

Kevlar carbon fiber stock versus POS tupperware stock. Definitely not apples to apples.

Last edited by 257heaven; 12/23/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal

Filing the original screw is easy and takes maybe 5 minutes. Or use a Dremel w/cutoff wheel and finish it off with a file......even faster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana 257 bought second-hand with NO tweaking. That's about .2" group. I have got to be the luckiest SOB on the planet. I still have this one!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That ain't custom and MOA ain't 1" at 100 yards.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by pal

Filing the original screw is easy and takes maybe 5 minutes. Or use a Dremel w/cutoff wheel and finish it off with a file......even faster.

Then he can't send it back.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

Then he can't send it back.

You mean to tell me you can't buy a replacement front action screw from Kimber?

ETA: Per the 84M manual, a new front action screw could be ordered.

Last edited by 257heaven; 12/23/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has the OP confirmed that the screw is too long and bottoming out?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
257:

Go back to post #1, look at the targets.
All of us like to have our rifles shoot with accuracy.

You are right, there is a rotten apple in this one. In this
case it seems to be a Kimber. The expectations are set higher
with rifles in this range.

That is why I have recommended him to send it back.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Montana 257 bought second-hand with NO tweaking. That's about .2" group. I have got to be the luckiest SOB on the planet. I still have this one!

[Linked Image]

Wanna sell it??? Lol

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

[Linked Image]

Wanna sell it??? Lol

Well.....according to farmboy, it's worth $1200!!!

errrrr......I mean "well over $1200"!!!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Nosler 48 Patriot 7mm08. Mine is a tack-driving son of a gun.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nosler Patriot 6.5x284, mines a nail driver.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custom means you pick the stock, barrel/contour/length, action, caliber, trigger, yada, yada.

Like ordering a pizza....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Nosler 48 Patriot 7mm08. Mine is a tack-driving son of a gun.

What does it weigh?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
6.75 lbs without rings and scope. It wears a 3.5-10x40 VX3, Leupy dd bases, and burris signature rings.

I personally do not have the patience to fart around with anything Kimber, and out of the 100+ hunters that have showed up in our camps, I've never seen one Kimber. Right or wrong, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why take a Kimber to TX? Kimners are mountain rifles, not sit-at-the-feeder rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by brymoore
Why take a Kimber to TX? Kimners are mountain rifles, not sit-at-the-feeder rifles.

Awwww. That ruined my Christmas. I won't be able to sleep tonight....maybe for a week.

Merry Christmas! and GFY!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Not sure if you're trying to be funny, just a smartazzz, or plain ignorant? For the record, our hunts are free range W TX aoudad, mule deer, antelope in NM, and "no high fence or feeders" whitetails.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Awwww. That ruined my Christmas. I won't be able to sleep tonight....maybe for a week.

Merry Christmas! and GFY!!

laugh

Some fellers never hunted Texas... Here's a sweater I'm wearing tonight. Fa la la la LA!
[Linked Image]

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take a tikka t3 over a kimber anyday.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Which apparently may involve tuition costs of a gunsmith school.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Not sure if you're trying to be funny, just a smartazzz, or plain ignorant? For the record, our hunts are free range W TX aoudad, mule deer, antelope in NM, and "no high fence or feeders" whitetails.

All pissing, whining, and dick comparing aside, I'd dig an aoudad...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis

I'll take that swap, whatcha got?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by add

Which apparently may involve tuition costs of a gunsmith school.

grin grin

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

LOL you know sometimes I even sit at a feeder with my NULA's. But then again sometimes I'm not hunting over a feeder.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

After that awesome display of accuracy, I made a change on the action screws from snug to 'oh yeah, thats tight'. The groups changed, but still lack acceptable accuracy from a $1100 rifle.

If your accuracy changes with torque changes, it's a sign of poor bedding.

Bedding: None. I've waited on this, wondering if this one needs a new barrel before I spend the money on bedding.

You've got this backwards. You should definitely bed the stock before you do anything else. A new barrel should be a last resort after you've eliminated everything else.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This thread is just too funny. I'm guessing the squares are 1". Correct me if I'm wrong.

[Linked Image]

9 of ten shots in approx. 1 1/4" 8 in approx 1".

[Linked Image]

9 of ten in approx. 1 3/4"

From a rifle the many find hard to shoot accurately because of weight and or shooting form. Not bad. With factory loads instead of loads tuned to the rifle, freaking awesome. I'm betting just about none of you Kimber bashers have ever witnessed the man shooting to know if he can do better.

In addition the rifle is begging to be bedded and all he wants to hear is "It needs a new barrel" or he would try some of the tricks posted that have proven effective on other Kimbers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know anything about the o.p., I don't own a Kimber, I have never even shot a Kimber rifle. Why ask questions when you don't want to hear the answers.

My flame suit is on and zipped.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the input Dave. To answer a few of your points:

1) I went to factory ammo for this experiment bc my hand loads weren't doing much better. Wanted to remove my loading as a variable. I've tried Matchkings, Gamekings, BTips, VLD, and AMax.

2) Have tried the mag box and front base screw tricks, but not the action screw. This is next on the list.

I will be getting the gun bedded. I hsvent done one myself, rather not start on the Montana. It just shot so poorly that I jumped to the barrel idea. Cart before the horse, lesson learned.

Thanks for viewing the groups glass half full.

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 12/26/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

From the mouths of ignorant, whoops, ill-informed babes who only get their knowledge from an old Field and Stream magazines which make them an expert on just abut nothing.

You obviously need to get out more and experience something at least five miles from your front door. Here's a part of what I see maybe 10 miles from some land I own in far west Texas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dav...mp;ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=946

Come on down and I'll get you lost in about 10 minutes so you can show us your highly refined woodsman's skills. You better bring a canteen as you might get thirsty looking for a natural spring on your own if you have no idea where or how to look.

I bet you're not a Kimber person either, are ya'?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing! I had 2 montanas. Now they ar3 someone else's problems!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Nothing! I had 2 montanas. Now they ar3 someone else's problems!

I have three Montana's and four other wood stocked Kimbers. None of them have given me a bit of problem in terms of accuracy, or any other thing for that matter.

One thing to consider is the fact that a lot of people don't understand how to shoot a light weight rifle from a bench. And then they blame the poor accuracy on the rifle. It's happened numerous times before and it will happen again.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
"One thing to consider is the fact that a lot of people don't understand how to shoot a light weight rifle from a bench. And then they blame the poor accuracy on the rifle. It's happened numerous times before and it will happen again."

Now there are some words of wisdom. If it was being shot off the rigging in the OPs pics,he was starting with 2 strikes against him from the get go.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone who wants to trade a Montana for a NIB Tikka 260, please PM me. Thanks.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you look at Fed Prem group 1,you have 3, 3/4" groups within the overall mess. Shots 2,3,4. Shots 5,6+7 are almost identical to them. And shots 8,9 + 10 are also 3/4" and not too bad for zero. If you had shot either of those by themselves,especially the last 3 shots,you would feel pretty good about things. Possibly from a good rest you could print 3/4" 3 shot groups,with factory fodder no less. That particular target sure looks to me like you were inconsistently bedding the rifle at the bench.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
It's the same way I hold my 84L 270 and it comes together nicely on paper.

Less about how you hold, more about controlling muzzle jump, trigger pull. IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OutdoorAg,

Maybe I just missed it, but did you ever figure out if the front action screw is bottoming out in the action? If it is, then you really need to shorten the screw. It is easy to do, and likely won't void your warranty. I would start by measuring the screw with a caliper, then shorten 20-30 thousandths at a time until you are sure it is not bottoming out. The method used to shorten the screw is not important, as long as you end up with it not bottoming out.

It is also critical that the action screws are not hitting hard against the sides of the hole (pillar?). Make sure the recoil lug is against the mortise in the stock and the screws aren't touching the sides. If you have to open up the holes a bit, I would recommend using a reamer rather than a drill bit. Trying to remove a small amount with a drill bit will result in the bit catching and biting into the hole and screwing it up, if the drill bit doesn't break. A reamer is much smoother and will self-align with the hole more readily than a drill bit. Chances are you won't have to remove a lot from the sides of the hole to get proper clearance. Maybe even a few careful strokes with a samll, fine rattail file would be enough.

I'm with you on holding off bedding the rifle. I would send a new rifle back to the manufacturer before bedding. I too feel like a $1200 rifle should not have to be "fixed", but the reality is they are still a mass-produced rifle, susceptible to all the quality control issues associated with any mass-produced product. Once you are sure the screws are not touching where they shouldn't, if it still does not shoot well, send it back. That's my $.02.

Good luck to you, sir.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Make sure the recoil lug is against the mortise in the stock

Can you explain a little more? Not fully understanding where I want the lug contacting/not contacting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure where the break in understanding lies, so I'll back way up. First you need to understand what the recoil lug and mortice are (I warned you I was backing way up).

The recoil lug is the part of the action, or receiver, that transmits recoil forces from the steel parts of the rifle to the stock. On Kimber rifles, the recoil lug is an integral part of the receiver. It is a block of steel directly underneath the front of the receiver that extends down into a rectangular "hole" in the stock. That rectangular hole is the "mortise" I referred to previously. On the Kimber Montana, it is molded into the stock when the stock is made. You can see it plainly when the barreled action is removed from the stock.

When the rifle is assembled, it is critical that the barreled action is 'slid' rearward in the stock so that the rear surface of the recoil lug is seated firmly against the rearward surface in the mortise. This firm contact prevents the barreled action from moving as recoil energy is transmitted from the barreled action to the stock. If there is a gap between the recoil lug and the rearward surface of the mortise, then the action can move in response to recoil energy and accuracy suffers. When I reassemble a rifle after repair or detailed cleaning, I always "thump" the rifle against the floor butt down before tightening the action screws to make sure the recoil lug is seated firmly against the rearward surface of the mortise.

About the screws touching their holes: Kimber rifles are built with steel tubes, or "pillars", glued securely in the holes where the action screws reside. Also, the holes in these pillars are not very much larger than the screws themselves. So, if the holes in these pillars do not precisely align with the threaded holes in the receiver, then tightening the action screws can apply sideways pressure on the stock and actually pull the recoil lug out of contact with the mortise. I have seen it on more than one rifle. That is why the guys here on the campfire are recommending that you "drill-out" the holes in the pillars - to make the holes bigger so the screws don't touch the sides of the hole when everything is tightened. Most of the guys here are quite knowlegeable about such drawbacks in mass-produced rifles and are able (and willing) to fix these issues. A lot of guys that are not "rifle loonies" don't understand such things, and, franlky, should not attempt to fix them if they do. It sucks to screw-up a new $1200 rifle while trying to fix it. Don't ask me how I know that. I do most of my own work, but I have years of experience working in a machine shop doing precise work, as do a lot of the other loonies here at the fire.

There is no shame in not being confident enough to attempt such fixes yourself. It is touchy, precise work, and only people that have experience and apptitude should attempt it. If you are not comfortable working on your rifle, definitely send it back to Kimber. But even that is no guarantee. People have varying abilities, even people that work for gun manufacturers.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Clear as day. Great write up and I'm sure others appreciate the shared info.

This gives me some things to check, and a few items to ask a gunsmith about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber rifles are built on beautiful concepts. In design they are just about everything anyone could ask for in a lightweight hunting rifle: CRF, great trigger, fast lock time, floated barrel, pretty walnut (or rigid fiberglass), and just plain good looking. If Kimber could just find and implement the answers to making rifles that are consistently accurate enough to please discriminating gun buyers, discriminating gun buyers would buy more Kimbers. But even with their issues, I don't think Kimber has any problem selling their rifles now.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Checked tonight. Front action screw is not bottoming out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by turkish
Clearly your problem is that you're shooting groups of too many shots. Seriously, there are aplenty pretty 3-shot groups on your targets. Folks should note that.

Bull chite. a 223 rem should be driving tacks, regardless of whether it's 3,5 or 10 shots...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Otter6
If you look at Fed Prem group 1,you have 3, 3/4" groups within the overall mess. Shots 2,3,4. Shots 5,6+7 are almost identical to them. And shots 8,9 + 10 are also 3/4" and not too bad for zero. If you had shot either of those by themselves,especially the last 3 shots,you would feel pretty good about things. Possibly from a good rest you could print 3/4" 3 shot groups,with factory fodder no less. That particular target sure looks to me like you were inconsistently bedding the rifle at the bench.

That's called a group. It ain't a- 3/4" inch gun if the 3/4" inch "groups" never impact the same place twice. What size target could he consistently hit? About 2 MOA. His gun with the Federal Premium ammo is a 2MOA gun. No amount lying to oneself will change that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old read, but an interesting read.....

GROUP DIAGNOSIS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old read, but an interesting read.....

GROUP DIAGNOSIS

Lots of good stuff there.

Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Lots of interesting and thought provoking info there. Thanks for the link.

Bottom line, unless someone here shoots with the o.p., there isn't one bit of info in that article to help anyone here, other than the o.p. with this thread.

Looking at the pics he posted, the rifle needs bedded.

I'm not picking on the o.p., he may be able to wingshoot the balz off a gnat, but I don't know that. He would do well to follow the advice of the other two threads posted as links.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure the barrel is not contacting the stock, anywhere. I have seen several Kimbers where the barrel is not centered in the stock channel, and it touches on one side (or the bottom of the barrel). This will cause accuracy issues. Any rifle that is supposed to have a floated barrel should have a really floated barrel. The gap should be obvious with the naked eye, and should be wider than the thickness of a dollar bill.

On the other side of the coin, any rifle designed for contact between barrel and stock should have solid contact between barrel and stock. Not "light" contact, and it should not be possible to mave the barrel in rrelation to the stock. It should have firm and even contact.

Anything "ambiguous" between a fully floated barrel and a barrel firmy supported by the stock is trouble waiting to happen.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave284

I'm not picking on the o.p., he may be able to wingshoot the balz off a gnat, but I don't know that. He would do well to follow the advice of the other two threads posted as links.

Dave.
[i][/i]

This really funny. I'm going to use it with your permission.

Prolly use it without your permission as well because its that good...... wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been reading this because I have a Montana (280AI) in route as I write. I far from qualify as an expert as a gunsmith or as a tinkerer. I can however hold my on shooting groups from light rifles from the bench. The one question not ask or answered that I noticed is how quick were the shots fired? I worry more if the rifle will put the first shot on the money rather than group size. My 700 MR (260) will shoot in the .4s if I do my part and don't let it heat up much. If I shoot to quickly between shots it will always string up and right to an inch or more. My first shot on a cold barrel is what puts meat on the table. Longest kill with this rifle has been 407 yards.
Just my opinion
Thanks
Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

I have a Montana in 25/06ai (factory 25/06 punched....

I shoot it the same way as all my hunting rifles...wait a min or two between shots.

I have no problems keep it's fav load .5" - .75" as many times as I want too...

Tony

PS : for the record, of the known Kimber fixes, mine needed the mag box shortened, and bedding. After that, she was a shooting machine....

Last edited by hicountry; 12/31/14.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hoping this one will be a shooter. Looking forward to messing with it

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SteveE
. My 700 MR (260) will shoot in the .4s if I do my part and don't let it heat up much. If I shoot to quickly between shots it will always string up and right to an inch or more. My first shot on a cold barrel is what puts meat on the table.
Thanks
Steve

Stringing is the result of stress. Rifles that "walk" need work no matter the barrel contour and no matter how fast they are shot.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by SteveE
. My 700 MR (260) will shoot in the .4s if I do my part and don't let it heat up much. If I shoot to quickly between shots it will always string up and right to an inch or more. My first shot on a cold barrel is what puts meat on the table.
Thanks
Steve

Stringing is the result of stress. Rifles that "walk" need work no matter the barrel contour and no matter how fast they are shot.

Not sure I agree but that's what makes us different
I have found that enough heat will make even the best walk
Buggy whip bbls will pull just from more air cooling the top of the bbl more than the bottom. Even my 7/300 custom by Dwight Scott will pull if pushed hard and it's a # 5 contour.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I forgot to add that a dial indicator just measures 0.002 on one and 0.001 on the other wen you loosen the bedding screws

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You ain't never gotta ask my permission.

Dave.

www.wvcdl.org
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,049 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.