Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

A 45 ACP or 45 ACP +P with a good bullet will cleanly take deer and pigs.

Of course it will, but it won't match a .44Magnum performance wise for hunting. The Redhawk gives that flexibility.

The Redhawk can't match the carry capabilities of the 1911, either, so the 1911 takes that category easily, too.

Put the .45ACP and the .44Special in identical platforms, like a double action revolver with a 3", 4", or 5" barrel, and flip a coin as to the meaningful difference. When the two different platforms are considered, the platforms make the difference.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
A 5 shot .44 sp and a 5 shot XD-S would be just about identical to any felon who encountered the wrong end of them.

Agree. I was upset that deflave managed to snag a S&W 396NG off the classifieds just before I logged in to buy it, but any concerns about my misfortune went away after the XD-S in .45 was introduced. I saved money, too.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4ager

Of course it will, but it won't match a .44Magnum performance wise for hunting. The Redhawk gives that flexibility.

The Redhawk can't match the carry capabilities of the 1911, either, so the 1911 takes that category easily, too.

Put the .45ACP and the .44Special in identical platforms, like a double action revolver with a 3", 4", or 5" barrel, and flip a coin as to the meaningful difference. When the two different platforms are considered, the platforms make the difference.

Not sure how or why you felt the need to bring a 44 mag or a RedHawks into the thread.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Not sure how or why you felt the need to bring a 44 mag or a RedHawks into the thread.

Since that's the .44 that the OP has and was discussing, I thought it pertinent.

Originally Posted by leomort
The reason behind my question is because I have a Redhawk in 44mag and 1911 45acp.

In an effort to get use to the recoil of the 44mag, I'm attempting to download to 44spec levels.

When it occurred to me, that I'm loading to similiar ballistics of the 45acp.

And from listening to other post that the 44mag doesn't have to be loading to magnum levels to be effective, then why not stick to 45apc or 45acp +p loads if not gaining much in performance?

Last edited by 4ager; 12/22/14.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Did miss the part that he wanted to down load to 44 special levels to reduce recoil? So how is it relevant in 44 mag? It's not.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, I didn't miss that. Did you miss the part where he mentioned that as a means to get used to the recoil of the .44? That's relevant to the use of the Redhawk as a .44 Magnum, and the Redhawk gives him that flexibility should he decide to use it.

He's right that the .44 doesn't have to be loaded up to magnum levels to be effective, but for hunting it certainly is MORE effective at that level and the capability exists in that Redhawk to do so.

For self-defense use, the 1911 is the better platform (in my opinion) as it carries and conceals more easily while offering time-tested power.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

44 Spec = 45 ACP

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure I said that earlier. Can't see where there's an argument/disagreement here at all.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No dog in this fight but the original statement was that the 44 special & the 45 ACP are pretty much identical & they are. All of us can juggle the numbers to suit us depending on which one is our favorite. If EVERYTHING is equal, bullet weight, speed, bullet style, etc. then the bigger bullet diameter is going to win, it has to. But if you run the 44 special up to its max velocity in a suitable gun (Ruger) then you can get bullet expansion that will exceed what the 45 is capable of just by additional velocity, so there's many way to juggle the results to come out on top.
What started out as a 44 special vs 45 ACP comparison soon got tangled up with the 45 Super, the 460 Rowland & the 44 maggie, strange! At the end of the day, with good ammo you are very well armed with either one, maybe give a slight edge to the 44 special for hunting & a slight edge to the awesome 45 auto for a fighting/ carry/ close range hunting gun. Again, good ammo makes or breaks the deal.

Dick

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spot on. Exactly on point

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

127 members (44mc, 280ACKIMP, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 12 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,513
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.