Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
No, I'm not a cop and never have been.

Wow...who'd a guessed? Thanks for the advice.

Pat, you are one reason it's"us against them". You serve us, your employer, we don't serve you, our employee. If you can't or won't take advice from your employer you ultimately will be fired by your employer one way or another.

Okay, since you pay my salary, I'll try to act better.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Harry M

There is no special skill or requirements to be a LEO....which is why there have been an increasing amount of trouble between them and the public.

More words of wisdom from The Office.

I am a degreed chemist with a minor in business. If my company needs to hire a chemist they hire a degreed chemist and not one that wants to be a chemist.

Not a put down at all but then tell me what skills/education/requirements are involved in being a LEO?

Well, since you're being narcissistic, I am a degreed LEO, holding a Master's License, a BS in Science, thousands of hours of additional related training certificates in all kinds of usless related stuff, and 32 years of experience in all aspects of LE. Unlike being a chemist however, a simple education does little toward making somebody a cop and they do have to WANT to be one.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have no idea what a masters lic is? Did you have your BS before you entered law enforcement?

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No. I became a cop as soon as I could.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My check has been missing the tax dollars from Montana. Can someone forward that to me? With back pay of course, since I've been taking all this Montana advice from my "bosses" for so long.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No. I became a cop as soon as I could.

Well see that's the point I was trying to get to. LEOs should now be required to have a BS degree in law enforcement before becoming a LEO. The course needs to be structured around today's world. Most degrees LEOs earn, (here in ma) ended up not being worth the paper they were written on. Not saying you per say so cool your jets, but they were getting credits for "life experience" and given degrees without a single bit of classroom work, none.

And BTW LEOS should NOT be allowed to be in a Union as there simply must be a way to weed out those who don't belong there.

In exchange for this I would gladly consider all Leo's skilled white collar employees and not only held to a much higher standard of conduct but to a much higher level of compensation as well.

The LEO of the future needs to be handled in this manner.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"In exchange for this I would gladly consider all Leo's skilled white collar employees and not only held to a much higher standard of conduct but to a much higher level of compensation as well."

Getting the rest of the tax payers to agree on higher compensation may not be easy.

Most don't want more taxes but they do expect a LEO ( or FD,EMS) to show up immediately when they need help.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No. We've tried that. Education never hurts anybody, but it does nothing but limit the applicants we have to choose from in LE. If anything, the age required to be a LE should be higher. Immaturity is biggest factor in most of our problems. There is nothing that can be learned in a classroom that determines whether a person will be good cop, or not. Nothing.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
There is no special skill or requirements to be a LEO....
Do tell! However, I understand based on discussions with long time LEO's that departments have a terrible time filling LEO positions due to applicants not meeting the "no special skill or requirements". Funny how that can be. crazy

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The problem then is you will never weed out the bad seeds.

And you are wrong about the BS degree. It takes a lot of work to get one, it takes a smart person to get one.

The length of of school weeds out the unqualified. I also believe more specific training is required.

LEO's and Unions = organized crime all day long, you can't have it.

It's time for LE to come over to the white collar/management side of the world and the public will simply need to accept the higher compensation as standard for that type of education.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RickyD
There is no special skill or requirements to be a LEO....
Do tell! However, I understand based on discussions with long time LEO's that departments have a terrible time filling LEO positions due to applicants not meeting the "no special skill or requirements". Funny how that can be. crazy

Can't speak to Iowa but in MA there is a long waiting list. A waiting list of Brothers, Sisters, Cousins, Nephews, Uncles, Friends, Hacks...

Nepotism is destroying the LE profession.

Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No. We've tried that. Education never hurts anybody, but it does nothing but limit the applicants we have to choose from in LE. If anything, the age required to be a LE should be higher. Immaturity is biggest factor in most of our problems. There is nothing that can be learned in a classroom that determines whether a person will be good cop, or not. Nothing.
I believe there in your statement is the main problem in the LEO community, Most of the complaints are about officers in their 2 year of service, they are just getting confident in their position and yet do not have the experience a senior officer does. And then situations get out of hand. A older start date would allow for more training and more time to develope skill sets needed in life and as an officer.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

The length of of school weeds out the unqualified.

Do tell... just like it weeds out all the bad doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. Good luck with that unbridled faith in higher education.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never understood why somebody should need a bachelors or better from a liberal college (ain't they all?) to be law enforcement. Like we don't have enough problems now that we want to require all officers to listen to 4 years of liberal professors?

Associates I could maybe understand.

Requiring education to delay when people can become leo's sounds like something the politicians in Washington would come up with.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
But the system allows the weeding out of bad Doctors, lawyers and the like.

It takes an act of God to weed out those who have no business in LE.

Times have changed.

Thomas Jefferson

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
But the system allows the weeding out of bad Doctors, lawyers and the like.

It takes an act of God to weed out those who have no business in LE.

Times have changed.

That may be true in Mass., but it's certainly not true across the nation. Since you seem to be viewing the entire profession through a Mass. lens, the warped perspective is understandable.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can only speak for the agencies I've worked for, but all required either a Bachelor's degree or a minimum of four years on the job. Guess which ones made the better cops?

Hint, a piece paper framed in glass hanging on the wall doesn't mean shiit in the real world. Lots of book smart people out there who don't have the common sense to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And out of 27 years, I've worked exactly 13 months and 10 days under a union.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why can't everybody decide what kind of cops they want for their community? Lots of departments require a college degree and pay accordingly. Other communities can't afford it, and frankly don't need it.

A lot of police work in a lot of places can be handled by someone with empathy, common sense, a sense of humor and a 10th grade education.

And without the interference of some stranger from Massafreakinchusetts.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I can only speak for the agencies I've worked for, but all required either a Bachelor's degree or a minimum of four years on the job. Guess which ones made the better cops?

Notice that of the better cops, your agencies made none of them. They required those cops to come up through other agencies that didn't have the stupid education requirement.

Which is why I hate education requirements in most jobs.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (160user, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 257 mag, 23 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.