Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody shot one yet? I'm looking forward to it. In my book, quite and smooth trumps speed all day long.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey, thats probably why I still hvae a round wheel PSE... LOL.

Newest bow is a brackenbury. LOL. No cams on that one either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes, they are smooth, dead in the hand, and the feel of a cam is there, but reduced.

I'm not an engineer, so this is in blue collar terms...

Basically, the small cam is now in the inside of the large wheel, and the wheel is used like a lever to drive the cam on the draw. To me, this does make the draw smoother as the lever action of the larger wheel is less severe of a break-over than the straight large cam and idler wheel.

On the release, the cam is used to drive the outer round wheel faster and the speed is gained by speeding up the large wheel.

Make sense? Hopefully the engineers can put it in better terms.

The bow is very vertical, the riser is very straight from what we have seen over the past ten years, and does balance well, better than I expected. It feels closer to the Monster than anything else I've shot.

It was very, very quiet, quieter than anything else I shoot at the moment.

While I liked it, it's not on the must have list for 2015. I got burned on the Reezen line, so I'll wait and see what the design does for a while.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/22/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer to have both smooth and fast . Along with quiet, shooability, dead in hand and tack driving accurate.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well it's a little slower but shootability trumps all. Us trad geeks have known it for years...maybe the compound world is catching up.

Mathews 'could' produce the worlds fastest compound without a doubt, but they choose not to because they know those bows are train wrecks in the field.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
I prefer to have both smooth and fast . Along with quiet, shooability, dead in hand and tack driving accurate.
A bit OT here, but a valid question.

I"m not going to argue that speed is good if it can be quiet and manageable, but how much difference does X amount of speed really make?

You will never come close to being super sonic, so there will always be noise to give away whats happened, and time to try to move.

Ever watch the deer when a bird swoops in or a hawk or such.

I used to think that 180-200 was just about to slow. If you could gain a bit on that its a better deal, but in reality how many FPS makes what? difference?

Drop wise doesn't matter anymore, we have rangefinders for those that feel comfortable beyond the close range only shots I feel comfortable with.

On a good custom recurve, and I don't have a clue what my speeds were/are at all, there seemed to be a realistic difference running a full on cedar shaft and head vs a carbon shaft and same head.

Granted the carbon was lighter AND smaller in diameter so had to to be faster. By ear, impact was quicker. And the key there, it seemed to make a difference, IE you could hit where you should instead of the deer moving.

I'd be curious to what others think.

I had a fast bow, supposedly 280ish IIRC many moons ago when cams were big and new, shot with light arrows. But sounded like a 22 going off so it was of no use. Obviously the noise gets there before the arrow, but where is the magical mark?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
With the way I hunt, I'm not nearly as worried about shooting 40 yards, as I am putting an arrow though a 3" hole in the brush at 20 yards. As you know so well, string jump is a huge problem here, so the sound of the bow is a huge issue. I'm with you on the trad stuff of course...but I like to eat deer too. laugh

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obsession bows. Whisper quiet. Extremely accurate. Lightening fast. You can haverify your cake and eat it too.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am not knocking Obsession bows but what exactly does "Extremely accurate" mean and by what measure is it judged?

As far as I am aware Obsession has never been on the podium of a major shoot. I understand you are a dealer and want to talk up the bows.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As for the No Cam it was ok but didn't impress me.

I don't mind playing around with release bows, but I much prefer shooting fingers. So the only true Finger bow out there right now is Hoyt. I don't see that changing anytime soon either.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might want to check out the second leg of this year's IBO triple crown. There was an Evolution on the podium

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MCH, Obsession has "changed the rules" so to speak with their bows. It has always been said short BH bows aren't accurate. Or forgiving. And speed bows have to be loud. And the list goes on. But that isn't the case. Their bows, even the 6" BH bows are super forgiving. They are dead in the hand. They are whisper quiet. Buttery smooth on the draw. I have owned quite a few bows thru the years. Some I really liked. And shot extremely well. But when I bought my Evolution earlier this year, I found I could shoot it better than any bow i ever owned. Better accuracy at long distance. Super simple to tune. Had this bow bareshaft tuned in just a few quick shots. The back wall on these bows is rock solid. Letoff is great. Valley is plenty big. They are unlike anything else on the market. Their new target bow will turn heads this coming year. I see the battle for top spot being between them and Hoyt. The other manufacturers just don't bring enough to the table.

Custom Strings/Tuning
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LT 280 and others...

If a person was to buy a new wheel bow, what would be the minimum speed one would look for?

One of these years I need to move up.

I am finally able to draw my compound and shoot it a bit though its very uncomfortable. For my hunting my old PSE will be fine but you never know when I might get an archery chance again and I doubt I'll ever be able to shoot my brack again unfortunately.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shot at an indoor range yesterday and the guy next to me was shooting one. It was super quiet.
They don't make it in 31" draw so a no go for me.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obsession Phoenix would be a very good bow to look at. The draw is super smooth. Lots of guys feel the "need" to go to 80# limbs on this bow because of the ease with which it draws. It smoothly drops off into a rather nice valley. Letoff runs around 83-85% which means very minimal effort required to hold at full draw.

Custom Strings/Tuning
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats good to know.

While I shot a 94 pound bow at one time in my life, 80 will never happen again.

I'd think 60 might be all I could ever safely do. That will have to suffice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Phoenix on 60# will be more than adequate. And a pleasure to shoot

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rost495,

Shoot any bow you want in 60lbs and pick the one you like, it'll kill things all day long the same as a 70-90lb bow. Just make sure those broadheads are scary sharp!

I'm sure Obsession is the answer to all of archery's problems, but I would suggest you try as many bows out as possible and pick the one that feels right to you.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Around 250fps seems to be just right (for me), but I like heavy arrows. Again, I'll take quite over fast any day. While I practice at 60 yards almost every day, it is only to make the 20 yard shots a chip shot. As you know too well, our deer won't be there when you shot at them farther than that, and 100fps doesn't help.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Might want to check out the second leg of this year's IBO triple crown. There was an Evolution on the podium

I suppose you are right if you consider 3D target archery. I don't its all about judging yardage. Nothing at all wrong with that just not actual Target archery.

I have shot a few Obsession's and to be totally honest I wasn't that impressed. You can claim their bows are game changers but they haven't changed anything yet.

Like I said I have nothing against them or their bows. I just don't see any advantage their bows offer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.