Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4winds
Rost495,

Shoot any bow you want in 60lbs and pick the one you like, it'll kill things all day long the same as a 70-90lb bow. Just make sure those broadheads are scary sharp!

I'm sure Obsession is the answer to all of archery's problems, but I would suggest you try as many bows out as possible and pick the one that feels right to you.

This is the winning answer. 100% hit it on the head. The only time I offer specific bows if I know they are going to shoot fingers.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well...I just put in my order at the local pro-shop. I'll give you guys a review when it comes in.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good deal Pat!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Yes, they are smooth, dead in the hand, and the feel of a cam is there, but reduced.

I'm not an engineer, so this is in blue collar terms...

Basically, the small cam is now in the inside of the large wheel, and the wheel is used like a lever to drive the cam on the draw. To me, this does make the draw smoother as the lever action of the larger wheel is less severe of a break-over than the straight large cam and idler wheel.

On the release, the cam is used to drive the outer round wheel faster and the speed is gained by speeding up the large wheel.

Make sense? Hopefully the engineers can put it in better terms.

The bow is very vertical, the riser is very straight from what we have seen over the past ten years, and does balance well, better than I expected. It feels closer to the Monster than anything else I've shot.

It was very, very quiet, quieter than anything else I shoot at the moment.

While I liked it, it's not on the must have list for 2015. I got burned on the Reezen line, so I'll wait and see what the design does for a while.

Thanks for explaining that . The local dealer does not have one and I was wondering grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by 4winds
Rost495,

Shoot any bow you want in 60lbs and pick the one you like, it'll kill things all day long the same as a 70-90lb bow. Just make sure those broadheads are scary sharp!

I'm sure Obsession is the answer to all of archery's problems, but I would suggest you try as many bows out as possible and pick the one that feels right to you.

This is the winning answer. 100% hit it on the head. The only time I offer specific bows if I know they are going to shoot fingers.

What are the specific bows for finger shooters now? 30"-31" draw/60lbmax ? Right hand. Don't need the latest/greatest, recent mfg. years ok, hopefully with a proven track record of reliability.
Thanks

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Reflex Caribou if you can find one. Hoyt Vantage LTD, now called the Tribute. All can be had in 50lb to 60lb and 60lb to 70lb.

45" Axle to Axle is perfect for fingers. I wouldn't go shorter then 43" axle to axle. We have similar draw lenghts so this is coming from experience.

For guys with shorter draw lengths they can get away with an Axle to Axle around 40" give or take.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/25/14.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What do you think of the Oneida's for finger shooting. I'm playing with that idea.

Some guys say they're the best, some say they're the worst due to the string angle at full draw.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
What do you think of the Oneida's for finger shooting. I'm playing with that idea.

Some guys say they're the best, some say they're the worst due to the string angle at full draw.

I have had 2 Oneida bows in the past...I loved shooting them, they were a bit noisy. They then changed ownership and redesigned the camming system. I only shot fingers with them and they were great for that purpose.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They have been a bad design from day one. They were fast in their day but loud as hell. I see no advantage to them and they have never been proven in target archery.

They had their followers but I can't see how they could keep that following in today's archery market. To many other really good bows out there.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/25/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just sold 2 of the best finger bows ever built. A Hoyt Aspen Contender w/ Command Cams 50-60#, and a Hoyt Protec w/LX Pro limbs and accu-wheels......back to the OP, I shot one of the new Mathews - it shot nice but had a few quirks. The draw curve is further from the front like most newer bows and made it feel strange. The little plastic tube to keep the cables from wearing on the cam is a terrible design oversight. I wonder what a little dust in the inner rotating cam will do? Seems like a gimic and think I'll pass.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That inner rotating cam is basically their AVS system borrowed from the Monster/Chill bows. Have never personally witnessed any issues with it.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Obsession bows. Whisper quiet. Extremely accurate. Lightening fast. You can haverify your cake and eat it too.

I'm sure you're not biased smile

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Obsession bows. Whisper quiet. Extremely accurate. Lightening fast. You can haverify your cake and eat it too.

I'm sure you're not biased smile

Not at all. Have shot the No Cam. It's a step back for Mathews. The local dealer has a shop full of them. Folks come in, shoot them, and hang them right back on the shelf. Then just shake their head and walk out. For the Mathews fanboys the truth hurts. The No Cam has been a No Go around here. And this has been Mathews territory for years. Guys buying a new bow every year. Not this time

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been shooting Hoyt since 2006. I have shot every new bow in their lineup, and they were all great. But.....I ordered the No Cam HTR.
Just enjoyed shooting it. Great draw, great backwall, great through the shot.
I wanted to test an Obsession but no dealers very close. So i decided to make the switch from Hoyt to Mathews.

Hunt...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's different in different parts of the country I guess. I'm not exactly a "fan" of Mathews. I tune lots of their bows and have had no issues. But if I had to pick a fav from their current offerings the no cam wouldnt even be in the running. I'd go chill r with 75% mods

Custom Strings/Tuning
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wouldn't buy the No Cam even if I liked it for the simple fact that you know they are going to improve on it ... there's plenty of room for improvement with it for sure. I predict a No Cam in the near future with a bit shorter length and maybe 20 or 25 fps faster. That will be much needed if the concept is going to survive.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ricky, that aint gonna happen

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I'm excited anyway. I haven't bought a new bow since 2004 and the first No Cams (other than the one demo per zip code) were shipped this week. Picking mine up tomorrow.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if it trips your trigger, Pat thats all that matters. Im sure Ill have one come thru for strings and a tune at some point. Be curious to see just how much I can get out of one with quality threads on it

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'll find out. You can't tell anything about a bow unless you shoot it hard for a little while. I've always got the old Robertson.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 50 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.