Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by 4ager
I figure RWE can handle that. He's bushed pins before on the double he built.

I bushed a set on the 30-30 SxS build - you know, the one I blew up the stock on before I bushed the strikers...

But that was by hand, and strictly another example of "I'm too stubborn to be economical" and afterwards it it hit the official "Don't want to do that again without power tools" list.

It's an adequate but ugly job

Didn't know about the detonation.

Scratch that idea.

Sell the roller down the road, cut your losses, and move on?

so you know - it blew up BEFORE I did the strikers.

Shooting fine since. Still need to finish up the quarter rib and regulate it.

As for the ROB - Sell it?

Pshhhh

All this needs is a rebarrel, extractor, and bushing the firing pin from this 0.102" diameter one, correct?

Plenty of walnut here to put new furniture on.

Last edited by RWE; 12/26/14.
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Personally that looks like a typical Funnel type lead that was common back then. I don't think I would do a thing with it till you shoot it using proper bullets in it. Every BPCR rifle I have has that type of throat except one and they shoot quite well.
The photo below has a throat similar except it's not a bottle necked case but the lead is close and it will hold it's own for accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kurt71; 12/26/14.
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's got roughly a 10 or 11 twist. And I have a 215 gr mould for it. Wish I would have bought a longer bullet though. Even short seated, the ogive will never meet the start of the rifling let alone where the diameter gets close to proper.

Funnel indeed.

I'll give it every opportunity before I quit .

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
It's got roughly a 10 or 11 twist. And I have a 215 gr mould for it. Wish I would have bought a longer bullet though. Even short seated, the ogive will never meet the start of the rifling let alone where the diameter gets close to proper.

Funnel indeed.

Throwing a hotdog down a hallway... so to speak.

[Linked Image]

John

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
You have to get the 21st century shooting mentality out of your head and step back into the 19'h century when you shoot a 19'th century rifle. smile

IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can you hook me up with some 19th century brass?

A lot of it. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
but can also advise that 8MM is NOT a very practical BP bore size.

Oh I don't know as I'ld go that far, it's not that much difference from the darling of the midrange and schuetzen boy's. 32-40..
Rebarrel to a 38-56 wincheter would be good with that Badger barrel, at least wouldn't have to screw with making a new extractor.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Personally that looks like a typical Funnel type lead that was common back then. I don't think I would do a thing with it till you shoot it using proper bullets in it. Every BPCR rifle I have has that type of throat except one and they shoot quite well.
The photo below has a throat similar except it's not a bottle necked case but the lead is close and it will hold it's own for accuracy.

[Linked Image]

With all due respect, the 8 X 56 RD is, and was designed as a smokeless cartridge, and the pressure curve there is going to be hard put to provide the "bullet bump / slug up" that sorta' throating calls out.

At this point BP is WELL worth trying, and it would be no big deal to equip that rifle with a wiping rod, for field cleaning.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Kurt71

[Linked Image]

With all due respect, the 8 X 56 RD is, and was designed as a smokeless cartridge, and the pressure curve there is going to be hard put to provide the "bullet bump / slug up" that sorta' throating calls out.

At this point BP is WELL worth trying, and it would be no big deal to equip that rifle with a wiping rod, for field cleaning.

That is what I would try before doing something drastic. Also get a custom bullet mould that fits the throat.
I have shot some very long funnel throated rifles that shoot better then the modern 45 degree chamber ends.
Just look at the .22 rim fire chambers that range from a one degree to a three degree funnel throat. They have been used since their birth and are still used. They are a lead bullet lead.
But it's your rifle and you must be comfortable loading for it for your satisfaction but again that throat will shoot if you spend a little time working with it. you can always change it later on. Or sell me the rifle smile I don't much favor a roller even though I have had several and I don't have a girly caliber so it would still fit in for my use. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Case full of Olde Eynsford 1.5, compressed about .2, a thin felt wad and a greaser lubed with BSC lube, the cleaning rod can stay at home until the day is over...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Don. Don't forget a rn bullet for that throat

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Worth trying, indeed,....

I want to SEE what a freebore called out by the print posted as being a whopping .0275" over the nominal greaser size required (or that one would normally start with is going to actually do ,.....prior to getting too overly enthused.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Greg,

With everything put aside when you can get a rifle with the long tapered throat to shoot like these targets using black powder [Linked Image] I cant say the old throats used in the past wont shoot well. This .44-100 Rem has a fairly steep funnel lead of 5 degree compound taper into a 1.5 degree on the lands, 5 degree/1.5 degree compound. [Linked Image] Granted these where shot at close range with only three shots working up loads but I see many modern rifles shoot a lot worse at this range.
My rifles have compound leads starting at 3 degrees to 5 degrees and they all shoot well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kurt,...I'm at a complete LOSS as to WTH we're supposed to be "putting aside" here.

I'm in complete AGREEMENT about tapered throats and compound leades,shooting like blue poison in BPCRs (you should take a long look at the chamber DWGs that Dave Kiff and I have noodled out over the years) I AGREE that loading ammo for RWE's Swede using the by-laws and codes associated with the theorum is the ticket.

I also KNOW that that thing was BORN to shoot a 210 gr (or thereabouts) Cupro Nickle jacketed slug. There WAS RUMORED to be a period during work up and initial "Conversions" that Christiana and the Steyr works WERE loaded with PP slugs,....and maybe that's what He's got here.

The .0275 Bump,than squishing down to a .323" Bore AIN"T gonna happen with any smokeless powder that I know of ( or would use). The original layout was about building the thing to shoot smokeless,....it's 'morphed".

Good input is good input,....and .0275" is and will remain a DIMENSION.

GTC

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Smokeless with gilded jackets are a different game that needs back pleasure. No doubt about that.
Hey, y'all have a Happy New Year.
Kids are coming in the morning and my Daughter wants to shoot so I better get down in the mole den and throw some together for her to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anybody looked at the dimensions of the 308 Marlin express cartridge to see if it would work for form the 8x58rd? I believe it's based off the 376 steyr, and Hornady makes cases for it and the 308 ME.. Might be something to think about if we're going to see a rash of these Dane rollers again..

www.historicshooting.com
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
RE: 8mm Danish Roller.

This link may be of interest/help:

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/rb.html

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good material to read, re-read, and keep on file .

Thanks for putting this up ray, and all the best for the new year ahead .

Greg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

598 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.