Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
These are not reviewed often here, so thought others might find a range report on a new Montana Rifle Company XWR-SS in 308 Win of interest. This one has a 24" barrel with 1:10" twist. Mag length is 3.125" and capacity is 5 + 1. Everything is stainless, other than the mag spring, which may or may not be, not sure about that. The rifle alone weighs 7 pounds, 2 ounces. The stock is a B&C Medalist, which is bedded at the factory.

It has controlled round feed, a three position safety on the bolt, and a copy of the Win M70 pre-64 trigger as I understand it.

The final price including shipping to my FFL and his transfer fees out the door was $1120.

On the first trip, I mounted a proven scope, a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 that I always use on new rifles to remove that variable. This was put atop a pic rail. I decided to try some new NF Ultralight rings to help shave some weight off, which saves 12 ounces compared to NF steel rings (16 oz. vs. 4 oz). These rings turned out to be an issue on the first outing.

The first outing, I went through one box, 20 shots, of Black Hills 175 Sierra Match Kings. The groupings were erratic; running 8 or 9 inches at 200 yards. This is the second Montana Rifle Company rifle I have purchased, the other being a 260, which consistently cuts clover leafs straight out of the box. So, I called it a day to reassess.

When I put in on the bench, I pulled the rings off to double check the pic rail and rings. The pic rail still was nice and tight, but on closer examination, the scope showed some scuffing from forward and rear movement. This was the first time I have ever tried the NF ultralights, which are aluminum. The inside finish is very smooth, so apparently it was allowing movement. So, I put some two sided scotch tape inside of the rings, which would provide a sticky surface, as well as acting as a very thin gasket to allow for better mating of the surfaces and more even compression. This turned out to fix everything.

This is the two-sided tape gasket:

[Linked Image]

This afternoon, I took it out, bore sighted, and these were the first two shots:

[Linked Image]

Made a quick correction and went to the next dot target, and these were the next three shots at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

Bottom line - this rifle is built extremely solidly of all stainless parts with a synthetic stock, and no plastic parts. It comes bedded, and shoots fantastic right out of the box. The 260 shoots as well as this one. So, Montana Rifle Company delivered two excellent rifles in a row, requiring no work, and ready to go hunt. Feeding has been flawless. All testing was done loading the mag full and cycling all rounds from the mag.

The rifles are very comfortable, and very easy to shoot well. This 308 replaced a Kimber Montana, which shot great as well, but I find the MRC much easier to shoot well, and much tamer recoil wise, thus, making it much more pleasant to shoot too.

Based on these two, I like them a lot, and would recommend them.

Here is a field shot of the 260 XWR-SS (22" barrel with 3.125" mag box) with a smaller NF up top.

[Linked Image]

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never seen one or heard about it. Looks dang good though! What is the weight on it? How are they on customer service ect. Who carries the brand or do you have to order from them direct?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
6 pounds, 14 ounces for the 260 with a 22" barrel, and 7 pounds, 2 ounces for the 308 with a 24" barrel.

I ordered it off gun broker. They list dealers on their website also.

My only interaction with their customer service has been to inquire about rings (post-64 Win M70 Classic) and who made a pic rail for the rifles (Farrell), which they answered promptly and pleasantly. I sent them some positive feedback on the 260 with some photos after I took it hunting, and they replied and copied the owner of the company. They seem like they are very responsive and actually care about sending out a quality product that works right out of the box, which seems too uncommon these days.

Here is a group from the 260 with 120 Barnes TTSX. The one to the right was another dot that fell off.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, I found their website. Not bad at all and for a decent priced for what you get if they shoot like your 2 examples!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jeffbird,

Is this the same stock that comes on the Winchester EWs?

Thanks,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
John,

I am not sure, but both say they use Bell & Carlson with aluminum bedding blocks, so it sounds likely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the review. I remember reading posts in the past where some were not happy with this rifle. I have been tempted to get one.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice review and pictures. Thanks for posting.

GRF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 308 Norma Mag shoots like that too. It lives in a McMillan though.

I had a 358 Norma as well, but I couldnt shoot it as well. More me than the gun I think.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by barm
Thanks for the review. I remember reading posts in the past where some were not happy with this rifle. I have been tempted to get one.

Scopes, rings, bases, ammo, and shooter are often the root of a problem, and the rifle is blamed instead. Note my 308 was shooting 8" - 9" groups at 200 on the first outing. A penny's worth of some scotch tape in the rings turned it into a 1/2 MOA rifle. Based on my experience with these two, I am happy and would recommend them.

Thanks for the feedback. Everyone is welcome.

Here is a side view of the 260.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine shooting irons... Congrats!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They're nice rifles! I've owned a couple and was impressed with both. They shoot extremely well straight out of the box.....throated nicely too. The mag box allows lots of flexibility.

There rifles are what the new Model 70's want to be. They use the old M70 trigger too.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is the bolt handle welded on, or forged/cast as one-piece?

How are they for gas handling? What's the strategy to handle escaping gas?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The mag box is 3.125" in a SA? Man imagine how sick that thing would be with a 1-8" twist 243.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who makes their barrels?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great review. I have been looking at an MRC for another rifle in the future as well. Thank you for the information. Looks like an excellent rifle and really costs about the same as an EW...

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great review. I have been looking at an MRC for another rifle in the future as well. Thank you for the information. Looks like an excellent rifle and really costs about the same as an EW...

Sort of what I was thinking and they twist their .243 1-9 which means it should sling A-Max's rather nicely. 1-8 wouldn't have hurt my feelings though - particularly with the mag space they have for nice long bullets.

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I see on the Montana Rifle Co web site the info on the actions as per gas handling which uses Mauser and Mod 70 features.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am thinking the same as Woodson!! One in a 243 or 260 would be pretty hard to beat!

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the review ordered the same rifle in left hand 260 rem, it will take a few months to come in they are going to make there stocks in house but in the mean time I have a left hand 22-250 in there ASR coming , should be here in a week or two.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 78 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.