Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'll take it over the BC abortion, but couldn't comment on the bell bottoms until I tried it on.

In spite of its obvious flaws, I'd rate the B&C's seemingly straighter, higher comb as better.

As to "trying on bell bottoms" to know whether you like them or not... you either like them or don't. They're an aesthetic choice, not a functional choice. Trying them on doesn't enter in to it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Brad,

That appears to be a functional design item to allow the abductor/flexor muscles below the thumb to come to a more rearward alignment behind the the trigger finger.

A similar design is found on the Anschutz stocks and McMillan A5 as just a couple of examples.

The thumbholes such as on the Accuracy International are the next step beyond this trying to bring the hand more behind the trigger finger.

Many find that such a hand position improves consistency in keeping trigger pull in a straight line to the rear.

They do appear to offer "classic" hunting stock designs also.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It is ugly, no question. Especially for the type of action it sits around. I hope the comb height was set up correctly, but it looks like there is enough drop to be bothersome. I saw this picture a few days ago and had a friend going to SHOT. I emailed him and asked for his opinion when he got to their booth. Three concerns I had and asked him to look for were it's aesthetic issues, the comb height, and the forend. The looks are what they are, the grip is pretty nice he said, the comb height is tough to gauge without a scope in place, and as I feared, the forend is a club. Unfortunate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suppose the only reason I can see for that overly exaggerated cutout behind the grip is if a guy has palm heels the size of a gorilla.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Brad,

That appears to be a functional design item to allow the abductor/flexor muscles below the thumb to come to a more rearward alignment behind the the trigger finger.

Jeff, I believe you're right and typed the above before I read your post.

I still hate the look laugh

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
It is ugly, no question. Especially for the type of action it sits around. I hope the comb height was set up correctly, but it looks like there is enough drop to be bothersome. I saw this picture a few days ago and had a friend going to SHOT. I emailed him and asked for his opinion when he got to their booth. Three concerns I had and asked him to look for were it's aesthetic issues, the comb height, and the forend. The looks are what they are, the grip is pretty nice he said, the comb height is tough to gauge without a scope in place, and as I feared, the forend is a club. Unfortunate.

Yeah, I didn't even get into the looks of the forearm.

Bottom line, as you rightly point out, it's a spot-on classic action sitting in a weirded-up stock.

Just doesn't work for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Function wins.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Me and a pard are thinking of each getting one.. After seeing the pics, I really want to see one in the flesh and handle it before pulling the trigger. Be nice to throw it on the scale too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 16bore
Function wins.

While I agree, you must have missed the part about the droopy comb, and clubby forend.

What is really disappointing is that one of the worlds finest stock makers lives right there in Kalispell. Maybe he would have had an idea or two.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

While I agree, you must have missed the part about the droopy comb, and clubby forend.

What is really disappointing is that one of the worlds finest stock makers lives right there in Kalispell. Maybe he would have had an idea or two.

Exactly... but as the used car salesman said, "there's an ass for every seat"... but I just can't fathom alienating a significant portion of the market that prefer a classicly, svelt stock. Those that like the current offering wouldn't be offended by that, whereas the rest of us regard the current stock as a deal-breaker.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be lonely at the "top". How did yours shoot? Did you even shoulder it? Haven't laid a hand on one myself.

But its always interesting to hear pie in the sky. Maybe just pass on the MRC and add a few more Echols' to your pile.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I like the MRC action a LOT... have handled quite a few, as they've been offered since 2003 and show up here in Montana regularly.

Chopped glass stocks that need aluminum blocks for strength are not my cup of tea... they're always clubby. And I can't shoulder a rifle that I think is ugly, no matter its function.

Better to just order a barreled action and drop it in an Edge...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe they shoulda done that to begin with.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps.

I wish them well... especially being a local Co.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No longer a local, MT. company. Bought by rem. last year and moved the operation to Alabama. Sucks but the new corporate way.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hung with a new rope and still bitching

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SBTCO
No longer a local, MT. company. Bought by rem. last year and moved the operation to Alabama. Sucks but the new corporate way.

Not true. Montana Rifle Compnay is still based in Montana. The barrel company, Montana Rifleman, was sold. MRC is still alive and doing great in Montana.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Furthermore, most should handle and shoot one of the new production rifles before passing judgement. I've owned them all...every brand in their competitive market....and they're in the top tier of that category.

As I've said before, they're what the new Winchester wants to be.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Not true. Montana Rifle Compnay is still based in Montana. The barrel company, Montana Rifleman, was sold. MRC is still alive and doing great in Montana.

Yep,just checked and stand corrected. That's what ya get when listening to the local grape vine.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
FYI -- they committed to doing exclusives for us today.....and I didn't forget you lefty's.

More to come later....

I've seen you reference "exclusives" for us a couple of times. So what are they planning on offering for the members here? And I'm a lefty so curious how they're including is as well?

Thanks

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,194 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.