Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm still hashing out the details, but should be able to comment specifically within a couple of weeks.

As to the lefty reference -- every run I ask them to do will include a group of lefty's.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thank you SAS! I'm definitely interested in a lefty depending on what you work out with them. Keep us posted.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Now, if SAS could get the special run made up with the classic Brown Precision stock with slim forend, high comb, and small cheekpiece, we'd all be in high cotton!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks nice. A little heavy though. Almost picked one up on gunebay for 950 a couple months ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Now, if SAS could get the special run made up with the classic Brown Precision stock with slim forend, high comb, and small cheekpiece, we'd all be in high cotton!

True

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ok. I just drove over 300 miles today to get my hands on one before ordering. The store I went to had a 260 in the old Bell and Carlson stock and a 338 Win Mag (lefty) in the new, in-house stock.

Obviously they are different. The gun counter dude was kind enough to take the actions out of the barrel so I could see the differences, and check the quality of the bedding. Let me say this. The new stock offers a very noticeable weight savings. The Bell and Carlson felt flat out heavy. The X2 not too bad. The texture of the X2 stock is much grippier, think reminiscent of a Kimber Montana stock. The new stock does not have a full length aluminum bedding block like the B&C, but is pillar bedded and nicely glass bedded. As for the comments about the new stock being radically ugly? Come on. Go to their website and they have pictures of both, but looks are subjective.

I walked away without placing an order largely because I am still unsure of cartridge selection, and like to deal with the owner who was busy at a gun show.

I see it as being in the same market as Winchester EW and KImber Montana. I agree with SAS in that it is what Winchester should be. As to the Kimber Montana, of which I have had three (all which shot well) , I would say the stocks are very similar, the action is beefier, the triggers would be equally good, and the X2 has a floor plate which to me is a big plus over a blind mag, but the Kimber has the weight advantage.

If you like one buy one. If not, put your money elsewhere, but they seem to offer really good value for the features that are offered.

Last edited by sns2; 01/24/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Furthermore, most should handle and shoot one of the new production rifles before passing judgement. I've owned them all...every brand in their competitive market....and they're in the top tier of that category.

As I've said before, they're what the new Winchester wants to be.

Are you really serious? That is hilarious, maybe Winchester will start using cast actions too, to keep up with MRC's cutting edge, spare no expense design.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm still hashing out the details, but should be able to comment specifically within a couple of weeks.

As to the lefty reference -- every run I ask them to do will include a group of lefty's.

cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

True

Order me up one please. I'm in for a left handed 9.3x62mm cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ULA24
Furthermore, most should handle and shoot one of the new production rifles before passing judgement. I've owned them all...every brand in their competitive market....and they're in the top tier of that category.

As I've said before, they're what the new Winchester wants to be.

Are you really serious? That is hilarious, maybe Winchester will start using cast actions too, to keep up with MRC's cutting edge, spare no expense design.

Dead serious. How many have you owned of each? We're talking NEW production Winchester vs NEW production MRC.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is nothing wrong with investment casting as long as the raceways are cleaned up.

Early on (over 10 years ago), MRC had some initial problems along those lines (among other problems). But the owner was really smart and got a LOT of qualified input/help and got the initial bugs ironed out.

While an investment cast rifle doesn't satisfy the purists, it's absolutely rock solid. And I'd bet the action is stronger than any Winchester (and yes it pains me to say that). It certainly is a safer action from any POV while maintaining the M70's fundamentals... and really more like the M98's fundamentals!

But investment cast actions DO tend to be a bit heavier...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anyone who doubts the strength of quality, investment cast firearms is only showing an ignorance that should have been put to bed 60 years ago with the introduction of Ruger's revolvers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since I have a Security Six in the closet I obviously agree... laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But that stock still pains me...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They should have just contracted for a run of McMillan Compact stocks. That's what I'll likely order as a replacement when I get an MRC rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suppose contracting with McMillan using a laid-glass stock would put the price-point of the MRC out of reach. Hence they're using a cheaper chopped glass stock.

Kimber got around that conundrum by building their laid-fiberglass stocks offshore.

The MRC stock design reminds me of a maker from the Kalispell area some years back. Same guy built Rifle Inc's stocks IIRC.

I won't say much more than that...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
All this stock talk and I am only interested in a Mod 70 style action if it wears walnut- Not seeing that here.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Would it be too difficult for you to look at their webpage?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Anyone who doubts the strength of quality, investment cast firearms is only showing an ignorance that should have been put to bed 60 years ago with the introduction of Ruger's revolvers.

Count me in the ignorant group then, I am sure you can add plenty of others too. The real question is why would I possibly want an investment cast Model 70 clone in the first place? If what someone really wants is a true model 70, they can just buy a nice properly machined New Haven stainless rifle, sell off the parts they don't want, and easily build what they desire. No need to take the cheap clone wanna-be Model 70 route.

The true benefit to all of this is you now own a "real" Model 70, and you don't have to go around convincing people that your cast MRC is just as good or better, while they just shake their heads, roll their eyes, and laugh behind your back.

Thirty years from now when your Grandson asks you what big game rifle you used in the world's game fields, you can proudly say that you used a real Model 70, not some cast no name schitter--lol.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ULA24
Originally Posted by Oregon45

Count me in the ignorant group then, I am sure you can add plenty of others too. The real question is why would I possibly want an investment cast Model 70 clone in the first place? If what someone really wants is a true model 70, they can just buy a nice properly machined New Haven stainless rifle, sell off the parts they don't want, and easily build what they desire. No need to take the cheap clone wanna-be Model 70 route.

The true benefit to all of this is you now own a "real" Model 70, and you don't have to go around convincing people that your cast MRC is just as good or better, while they just shake their heads, roll their eyes, and laugh behind your back.

Thirty years from now when your Grandson asks you what big game rifle you used in the world's game fields, you can proudly say that you used a real Model 70, not some cast no name schitter--lol.

The 99 has some better features than the "new" Model 70. No doubt about that.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 68 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,544
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.