Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WildWest
I see on the Montana Rifle Co web site the info on the actions as per gas handling which uses Mauser and Mod 70 features.

Years ago, when Montana Rifle announced they were going to produce actions, there was a group buy right here on the Fire (if memory serves me). At that time Pine Tree Casting (I think that is the name) were producing their actions. This is the subsidiary that cast the Ruger 77. At that time, it was described as a Ruger action built to Montana Rifle specs. I don't know it that is the case now.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by saj
Thanks for the review ordered the same rifle in left hand 260 rem, it will take a few months to come in they are going to make there stocks in house but in the mean time I have a left hand 22-250 in there ASR coming , should be here in a week or two.

do you order through a dealer or direct from MRC?

Double_D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm shooting an ASR in 7x57. It'll shoot, that's for sure.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by woodson
Who makes their barrels?

They produce their own barrels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great now I want another rifle.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for the write up, good looking rifles. Been thinking I need a good accurate 308 so you just stuck them on my radar. I was thinking maybe a Kimber Montana but prefer for a rifle to be a little heavier. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Where is the balance point with the 24" barrel.

Have you tried any handloads in it? Curious if you can kiss the lands with several different bullets and that long magazine.

What did you get for an average group size and did you try any other loads?

Thanks.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 28lx

Great now I want another rifle.

Happy to help. grin

Dave,

I did not measure the groups, but a quick eyeing of it looks to be within 1/2 MOA and the penny is there for size reference.

For handloads, which were used on the second outing in the photos posted:

Black Hills brass, set the shoulder back 0.0015"
175 SMK
43.5 Varget
F210
COAL 2.810"
Works well in every 308 I've tried it and it is what I use for hunting. Never tried any other loads for the 308 as this one is very reliable and five different rifles all have liked it.

I am out for several days, but will post some photos of the bolt and shroud to respond to the gas question. Don't know about the bolt handle. It appears to be solid, but I will ask and report back.

Glad eveyone found it helpful. The rifle runs so nicely out of the box, it is a real joy. I'll post a progress report after it has more rounds through it.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
For those of you interested, the CZ Model 3 was made by MRC. There are still some of those floating around occasionally. They can usually be had a little cheaper too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jeffbird,

Those are surely some nice rifles. Seems like I have a hard time warming up to anything other than blued/walnut for my own use, but I surely understand the attraction of a synthetic stainless set-up.

I don't have any major rifle ambitions, currently, but when the day comes these will be on my mind...

Thanks for the cool thread...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Double D I ordered through a dealer and the 22-250 is blue and walnut

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They do make nice rifles... A few years ago I bought a stainless one off GunBroker for less than the price of the action. Seller bought a 22" stainless .350 Remington Magnum barreled action from MRC and had his smith put it in a B&C stock. He killed one black bear with it and decided he wanted to try a .358 Norma Mag. instead so was selling this one.

But with the longer magazine box one can load the bullets out so that they take up no powder room in the case body. 200s run 2900 and 250s 2700+..that is all the recoil I can use...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...shoots less than MOA which is good enough for what I am going to shoot with it...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RJM
They do make nice rifles... A few years ago I bought a stainless one off GunBroker for less than the price of the action. Seller bought a 22" stainless .350 Remington Magnum barreled action from MRC and had his smith put it in a B&C stock. He killed one black bear with it and decided he wanted to try a .358 Norma Mag. instead so was selling this one.

But with the longer magazine box one can load the bullets out so that they take up no powder room in the case body. 200s run 2900 and 250s 2700+..that is all the recoil I can use...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...shoots less than MOA which is good enough for what I am going to shoot with it...

Bob

Very nice rifle. I've had my eye on the XWR SS for awhile now. They look like great rifles. I have no problem with the investment cast receivers either: Been shooting and loving Ruger's for many years now.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jeffbird
These are not reviewed often here, so thought others might find a range report on a new Montana Rifle Company XWR-SS in 308 Win of interest. This one has a 24" barrel with 1:10" twist. Mag length is 3.125" and capacity is 5 + 1. Everything is stainless, other than the mag spring, which may or may not be, not sure about that. The rifle alone weighs 7 pounds, 2 ounces. The stock is a B&C Medalist, which is bedded at the factory.

It has controlled round feed, a three position safety on the bolt, and a copy of the Win M70 pre-64 trigger as I understand it.

The final price including shipping to my FFL and his transfer fees out the door was $1120.

On the first trip, I mounted a proven scope, a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 that I always use on new rifles to remove that variable. This was put atop a pic rail. I decided to try some new NF Ultralight rings to help shave some weight off, which saves 12 ounces compared to NF steel rings (16 oz. vs. 4 oz). These rings turned out to be an issue on the first outing.

The first outing, I went through one box, 20 shots, of Black Hills 175 Sierra Match Kings. The groupings were erratic; running 8 or 9 inches at 200 yards. This is the second Montana Rifle Company rifle I have purchased, the other being a 260, which consistently cuts clover leafs straight out of the box. So, I called it a day to reassess.

When I put in on the bench, I pulled the rings off to double check the pic rail and rings. The pic rail still was nice and tight, but on closer examination, the scope showed some scuffing from forward and rear movement. This was the first time I have ever tried the NF ultralights, which are aluminum. The inside finish is very smooth, so apparently it was allowing movement. So, I put some two sided scotch tape inside of the rings, which would provide a sticky surface, as well as acting as a very thin gasket to allow for better mating of the surfaces and more even compression. This turned out to fix everything.

This is the two-sided tape gasket:

[Linked Image]

This afternoon, I took it out, bore sighted, and these were the first two shots:

[Linked Image]

Made a quick correction and went to the next dot target, and these were the next three shots at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

Bottom line - this rifle is built extremely solidly of all stainless parts with a synthetic stock, and no plastic parts. It comes bedded, and shoots fantastic right out of the box. The 260 shoots as well as this one. So, Montana Rifle Company delivered two excellent rifles in a row, requiring no work, and ready to go hunt. Feeding has been flawless. All testing was done loading the mag full and cycling all rounds from the mag.

The rifles are very comfortable, and very easy to shoot well. This 308 replaced a Kimber Montana, which shot great as well, but I find the MRC much easier to shoot well, and much tamer recoil wise, thus, making it much more pleasant to shoot too.

Based on these two, I like them a lot, and would recommend them.

Here is a field shot of the 260 XWR-SS (22" barrel with 3.125" mag box) with a smaller NF up top.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the write-up. I'd buy one of those (in something other than 308 win, of course), just to run it around the block. Looks like a great rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Bob

That looks darn near like a perfect hunting rifle for my criteria right there. That is one thing I don't like about my remington in 350 mag, is the short magazine length.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Received a reply to my inquiry - the bolt and handle are one piece.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure if it was mentioned but they are no longer using B&C stocks. They are making their own stocks in house.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by STS45
Not sure if it was mentioned but they are no longer using B&C stocks. They are making their own stocks in house.

That makes them even better. B&C feel like holding onto a 2x4, to me anyways.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Bob

That looks darn near like a perfect hunting rifle for my criteria right there. That is one thing I don't like about my remington in 350 mag, is the short magazine length.

This one ready to pull the trigger is 9# even. With the extra velocity (as in recoil) I don't complain. The Model 7KS I have is 7# even ready to go and I just use the the Speer 220 FP as it is perfect for the magazine.

One of the posters here has a MRC custom build in .350 RM that as I recall weighed less than 8#...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Originally Posted by STS45

That makes them even better. B&C feel like holding onto a 2x4, to me anyways.

Definitely a step in the right direction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shot them an email to see if they'd deviate from what's listed and they replied they would be happy to. Inquired about a .243 with a little more twist or a 6.5 Creedmoor - yes to both.

Me

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.