-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Can these be reloaded like the old AA hulls? Just looking for a light 1oz 12ga target load for my son to blast some clays with and have pile of these hulls.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No not like old AA or Rem STS compression formed tapered hulls. They reload like straight wall hulls, think Fed GM, Cheddite, Rio and Fiocchi.

The two you asked about have paper or fiber base wads and most guys just load them once and toss them. The GM, Ched, Rio, and Fiocchi hulls have plastic base wads.

There is plenty of data out there for them.

Last edited by erich; 12/30/14.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bulk pack/promo Win hulls are 2 piece construction. The base wad is separate and tapered. The packages used to say "not recommended for reloading" or something to that effect. Not sure if they still do. I'm referring to the Universal, Super Target, etc. offerings.

I have loaded them in the past. Certainly not my first choice for a reloadable hull. Worked fine for me using Win AA data. Not very consistent crimps. One and done as many of the crimp folds were split after 1 reload. MEC press needed some slight adjustments to the pre crimp and crimp dies. No more than I usually make switching hull brands.

Also consider if using an auto the possibility of a base wad coming loose and lodging in the barrel. Never seen it happen with any brand but many recommend only reloading 2 piece hulls for break open guns. Apparently Winchester addressed this possibility with their AA's. I've never heard or read of it being done to the other brands.

I think the Lyman book lists the hull and some data. I can check when home if needed.

The Federal "Top Gun", "Field and Target", etc. have fiber base wads and are straight walled as erich described. Many reloaders use wads designed for tapered base wads with success. I have loaded many thousands of these using both. Again, I believe the Lyman book includes this hull.

The two hulls the OP mentioned have different internal volumes so when switching some press adjustments are necessary for good reloads. Best fit is usually found with the straight wall wads designed for them such as 12S3's and their clones. I like and currently use the "Claybuster" clone.

If you don't have the Lyman book (7th ed. I think is most recent) and need specific info before using either post or PM me and I'll get you some info.

Last edited by ring3; 12/31/14. Reason: deleted improperly worded suggestion
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ring, Do you specifically mean that you use Gold Medal data for the fiber base wad ones? The reason I ask is that I have a bunch of the fibers but there is far more data for the gold medal's, and I plan to load w/WW AA12's Thanks-Muddy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
Ring, Do you specifically mean that you use Gold Medal data for the fiber base wad ones? The reason I ask is that I have a bunch of the fibers but there is far more data for the gold medal's, and I plan to load w/WW AA12's Thanks-Muddy

Lyman lists loads for the fiber based hulls using WAA12 wads.

-1 1/8 oz., 20grs. Red Dot, Win 209, 1250fps, 9900psi
-1 1/8 oz., 18grs. Clays, Fed 209a, 1191fps, 9300psi
-1 1/8 oz., 22grs. Am. Select, Win 209, 1245fps, 10400psi

This list includes 5 or 6 more loads with WAA12 wads. Let me know if you need more.

To your question. There are those who recommend interchanging the data between Gold Medals and Top Guns, etc. I do not and apologize for giving that impression in my previous post. It has been edited. Those that make this recommendation say it is safe but performance suffers using GM load data in Top Gun hulls.

Federal lists data using their components here;

http://www.federalpremium.com/downloads/reloading/FP294_ShotshellReloadingData.pdf

For my own use I do compare like loads and data from manuals to arrive at data I'm comfortable using. Many listed loads for the 2 hulls are very close in pressure and velocity in the various manuals. I might be flamed for admitting this but I do deviate from printed resources occasionally. You can arrive at your own conclusions looking at same. Another resource is Alliant. If using their powders you can email them your load and they will respond with suggestions.

The fiber based Fed hulls are good for one and done. I have used many thousands of them and currently like them for games and second shot of doubles. Once adjusted properly crimps are good. Hull height varies some and will occasionally give an irregular, deep or shallow crimp.

Hope I cleared that up for you Muddy. Sorry for much too general comment in the previous post. Let me know if I can help further.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Winchester "bulk pack" or "polyformed" or whatever you want to call them today are not like the AA hulls, but they don't have paper basewads anymore (or at least the ones I've seen), they are now made of plastic, and have been for some time. Similar to the Rio hulls, but the walls are made of a thin, "springy" (for lack of a better term) plastic that doesn't hold up well at all....I've crushed more hulls than I've loaded.
The Federal hulls, on the other hand, are one of my favorite for reloading, paper base and all....they are great for loading heavy (buckshot, slug, steel shot) loads with high payloads of shot, as well as target loads. I don't care for the steel hulls on them (they corrode faster than the brass plated ones), but they are good for a few reloads.
One use I did find for the Winchester hulls is for blanks....they do make good blanks for dog training.
FWIW.....................

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What, you guys use books??!! I just eyeball dump whatever powder is setting on my bench and use balled up newspapers for wads. (The Sunday comics give the best pattern.) whistle grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can load both, but they are not very durable. The Remington black game load hulls are much better. I won't load any of the newer cheap hulls with the zinc-plated "brass". Little pieces of the zinc flake off and get in the works. One time maybe, but the more they are loaded the more they flake. I have seen an several Over/Unders with chewed up firing pins tips from these hulls.

Michael

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What, you guys use books??!! I just eyeball dump whatever powder is setting on my bench and use balled up newspapers for wads. (The Sunday comics give the best pattern.) whistle grin

For ayone new to reloading This ^^^^ is sarcasm and not recommended.

As for whether those hulls can be reloaded, yes they can.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.