Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
So I got this pedersoli 1874 pattern in 40/65. Had the Shiloh thing and all those other high dollar rigs. Ya good guns, but You typically carry a spare bullet. I won't say what You use that bullet for after You put a scratch in the gun , but I think You all know :p. So I figured get a used, but in good shape pedersoli, then a scratch is just a scratch. Having said that I thought I'd see if there was even a lick of accuracy to be had. Tried a few loads. Stumbled by shear happenstance onto this in pic. Only loaded 5 cause I had pulling SPG coated stuff if the loads a total flop. Ya well at 75 yds with as good as my ole eyes can do with a peep, 4 beside the dime, one high right after an adjustment to zero it. My God I have sako's that won't do better. That being said I MUST[U][/U] scope this thing. I've looked at Malcolm. Can someone, anyone point me to what they know to be a good solid scope/mount set up? If it's that good with a peep look out world if I can get er scoped. I surely would like feed back as to the good, bad, ugly.

Thank You
[Linked Image]

"Words may show a man's wit, but actions his meaning"
B. Franklin
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
From what I've read other guys are saying the adjustment of Malcolm system is to coarse and the scope moves around a bit in the holder (front)

B. Franklin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice shootin. I don't think you can do better with a scope. And if you could, how would you know? It'd be just one hole! wink
Hi-Lux/Leatherwood offers a Chinese made Malcolm type scope but from the reviews I've read they're of poor/inconsistent quality. Montana Vintage Arms makes a higher quality reproduction, however double the price but I would rather spend more money on something that works than a cheaper headache.

MVA scopes

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I notice Merit sells adjustable aperatures. Does anyone know if their rubber light absorbing version also adjusts?

B. Franklin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You mean the #3 Master Disc with Flexible Neoprene Light Shield?
Yes. .022" to .125"

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think that should be my first attempt. It has the lyman type adj ap. The one that's case colored. The rotating ap is shaped like the ace of clubs, only has like 5 holes(Shiney surfaces). This master one with light absorbing rubber and totally adj disc just might get ole huck by

B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Last edited by DigitalDan; 01/01/15.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tmitch
You mean the #3 Master Disc with Flexible Neoprene Light Shield?
Yes. .022" to .125"

Well I cheaped out and went the above route. For $80 shipped it's a cheap way to find out how much BP stuff I want to do

B. Franklin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm trying to figure out where your priorities lie.

As others have noted, don't try to get by with cheap sights, either iron or optics.

You won't have various mounting options, like with modern rifles and scopes. The mounts are pretty much dedicated to the scope, and aren't the cheap part of the setup. MVA and DZ mounts run $400-500. The MVA B5 in Dan's photo with its "grasshopper" mount is a darned good choice, about $650 with the mounts included.

If you're of the age where vision is an issue, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Seems like most serious BPCR shooters are at or close to retirement age, with eye issues on schedule. That said, many or most of us can shoot irons reasonably well, and a scope doesn't necessarily lead to better accuracy. Seems counterintuitive, but silhouette scores tend to bear it out.

I've never felt the need for an eyepiece with a gazzilion holes. Just complicates things. Mine have about five or six holes, and I seldom change them.

Merit disks are not legal for NRA BPCR silhouette, but I have them on my modern sights. Regardless of type, an aperture sight is just a hole to look through. No need or advantage in overly complicating things. And it isn't the hole that can give you problems, it's the windage and elevation adjustments. That's where quality really counts.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 01/01/15.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WHAT rear staff sight are you currently using,...and planning to re-fit with a merit disc ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like cross and I are thinking in the same direction.

A Merit disk with a big-azzed eye shield is to reduce glare and distraction in target shooting. Doesn't offer any particular advantage for other forms of shooting. Blocks out too much vision for hunting or even casual target shooting. Seems out of place on anything other than a target type vernier tang sight.

Paul

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paul, I'm wondering about the commonality of thread pitch / spud diameter from Merit to the (at this time) mystery rear sight.

Man, there are a LOT of different patterns out there and IIRC the Pedersoli factory # is a real oddball.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 01/01/15.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't recall the specifics, but I once talked with Kermit Hoke about adapting a Pedersoli adjustable eyepiece to one of Kermit's sights. I dimly recall that it was doable, with some modifications. I'm pretty sure Kermit uses a 12-40 or 7/32-40 stem thread. Merit may make a disk with the correct thread (metric?)

As I'm sure you know well, the much vaunted "Malcomb" eyepiece has shortcomings, and all makes are not equal. Ask anybody who has started missing during a match. Kermit, fine low key fellow that he is, gave me a very detailed and informative explanation of this, effectively talking me out of a Malcomb adaptation for his sight.

Paul

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe Paul's speaking about the "Hadley Cup" v. Malcolm.

soopercooper, your rifle's equipped with a SUPERB American target sight. I believe it's a Kelly Soule.

The factory Pedersolli "Soule" wouldn't make a pimple on it's azz.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You might want to contact them regarding the correct thread pitch for the Merit.

Link: http://www.kelleysights.com/

cheers !

GTC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I believe Paul's speaking about the "Hadley Cup" v. Malcolm.

soopercooper, your rifle's equipped with a SUPERB American target sight. I believe it's a Kelly Soule.

The factory Pedersolli "Soule" wouldn't make a pimple on it's azz.

GTC

Oh yeah, New Year's brain fart, and I didn't touch a drop last night.

Hadley it is, of course. And I didn't even spell Malcolm correctly. Geez!

And note also that the Kelley doesn't have a "Hadley" disk. There are reasons for such, i.e., positive dents.

Paul

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well Kelley's posi-dents aren't so positive. Their hole is 10/32 which Merit offers. I like how in the heat of whatever heat Your in You don't have to take off gloves and hope and pray the little detent went in perfectly. With Merit the ap size changes without changing position of said ap. If that works as they say I'm all in

B. Franklin
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I know I'm losing ole style lyman turn of the century case colored bling, but. Poop on bling when You can get more accuracy

B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by soopercooper
Well Kelley's posi-dents aren't so positive. Their hole is 10/32 which Merit offers. I like how in the heat of whatever heat Your in You don't have to take off gloves and hope and pray the little detent went in perfectly. With Merit the ap size changes without changing position of said ap. If that works as they say I'm all in

I shot a Merit across the course for years, and loved it.

Let us know how you make out.

If interested in selling off that imprecise Kelly, lemme know, I have a sight here that could use that one.

Thx,

GTC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My comment about detents was one make or type vs. others, specifically the Hadley vs. a pivoting arm type, as in the photo of the Kelley, and one make of "Hadley" vs. others of the same design.

Obviously an iris disk like the Merit sidesteps the issue of detent reliability.

For those of us who shoot NRA BPCR events, the Merit isn't an option, as it isn't "legal" under NRA rules.

FWIW, I no longer own any brand of "Hadley".

Paul

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The detent ball seating into the backside of the actual aperture is an inherent PITA with any true patterned Hadley eye cup.

A.) If properly maintained (e.g. lubricated) it attracts every dog hair and cottonwood fluff in creation,...run dry the BP gasses make short work out of the detent ball spring, and the disc winds up seized or free wheeling.

B.) The largest size one can incorporate into a Hadley is limited by the size of that detent ball,....and typically pretty damn SMALL. That can be a hateful situation in poor light, and stalking targets on a shadowy berm.

One solution is for the builder to put in a series of offset detents, in other words out at a larger radius. Certainly do-able with a good rotary table on one's mill, and a little patience.

I can tell you one thing, the Merit system requires lubrication as well, when used in a BPCR application.

GTC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.