Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm sure many of you who have diver hunted long enough have cursed the heavens at tangled longlines. I tried an experiment and we had some good shooting over it today. I took a fishnet, with 3/4 inch mesh windows, and attached 70 redhead and Bluebill dekes to the net with 8 inch mono leads. The net is attached to window sash weights on each corner on 30 foot lines. The long anchor lines allows the "raft" to move with the wind, and the mono leads allow the dekes to move around like feeding birds. I used a ration of 3:1 front tied to rear tied decoy leads.

When loading into the boat, place the first two weights in the bottom of the boat, and lay the net on the deck in layers, the small mesh windows keep the decoys from tangling. On top of the top layer you put the last two anchors, which will be the first two set out. Then as your boat drifts down wind you "let out" the "layers" of netting and finally the last two weights. I then ran two long lines of a dozen each Blue bills down wind of the "raft". And then put out a string of buffies and cans. Setting up the boat blind just down wind of the tail of the long lines. We smacked a limit of bluebills each and a hand full of buffies, a bonus Can, and rounded out the day with Mallards

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
were you single anchoring you longlines?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
No. 3 pound lead weights on each end

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sounds like you have a good alternative method.

I use a lot more lead then that on my lines. I tend to like to single anchor but even when I double I have 10lb weights.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
My leads on the long lines are 3-5 feet, but i kept them short on the net to minimize tangling and give more of a "jerky"movement to simulate birds feeding

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It works. Helps to have a shrimp boat buddy or 12..

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Those net rigs are popular out in the sounds of NC. The guides that run them really like them

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
My boat is a 2472 Seaark. The nets i'm using are cheap brown cast nets from walmart. So far i'm sold on the idea, especially for Divers. We had 150 divers pocked up in 10 minutes today. Try doing that with Longlines and not having a tangled mess

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How do you keep your dogs from getting caught up in the nets?

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i don't have a dog.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Might be a problem for a guy like me with dogs. I still might try it out one day without Lulu.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds interesting. I'm just glad someone is smokin their assez cause we don't have no ducks this season. Worst I remember.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Billy we that day was the best we had

We have a storm system bringing very low temps, anow and high winds sweepind from the NW tonight and tomorrow. I'll be on the lake in the AM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.