Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
FWIW, I am loving my stone glacier, and it is the first internal I've used for anything other than backpacking. I've attempted to use a Dana Terraplane, MR, Osprey Aether (I think? Its been a while and I dismissed it pretty quick). None of them were ever as comfortable as my Barney's external, so they never went hunting.

The SG kept weight closer to my back, and was much more comfortable for longer periods. I prefer it over the Barney's for carrying heavy loads in most cases. I've only used it to pack 3 sheep and one goat, but so far it is holding up well.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've only used it to pack 3 sheep and one goat....

Man, I really feel for ya........ grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The parts are smaller than an elk or moose...:) I'd like to try to pack a moose hind quarter bone-in with the Terminus, but I have a feeling it would look really funny.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
BTW, we have several pack items discounted to clear out

http://store.seekoutside.com/in-stock/

In stock and will ship next week , the discounted stuff is marked in Red

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Taunting me I see... cry

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by prm
Taunting me I see... cry

Yes but no. We need to clear out a few items , we will be changing a few things up a little bit in the future. Not much, but a few less options, a bit more bundled.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Definitely intrigued. Shot you a PM with a question.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Brad
prm, forget the "hunting packs" and go direct to those that got it right first.

Get a 90's Dana Terraplane or Astralplane.

Get a 90's Osprey Vector Silhouette or Xenith (I like the early 2000's Crescent's in 75 liters or less too).

Get a 2000's Arcteryx Bora 80 or 95.

That's about all you need to know about comfortable packs with 100 lbs... but the truth is, "comfort" is relative at 100 lbs.

Kifaru makes a nice pack too, but I can't fathom spending that kind of coin when you can pick up an Arcteryx Bora 80 on ebay for around $250 that will be as or more comfortable.

Aside, the pack in your photo isn't something I'd be interested in carrying... too squatty and fat with the weight to far away from your core... just my observation. And the Stone Glacier I tried felt like a brick on my back.

Brad,
If you had to walk in a mountaineering shop right now and buy a new pack, what would you pick?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Happy birthday Chip....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks, OSD!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntr

If you had to walk in a mountaineering shop right now and buy a new pack, what would you pick?

Chip, happy belated birthday!

To me, the pinnacle of packs was from the late 80's through the 1990's from makers like Dana, Osprey, Gregory, Mountainsmith, Lowe, etc. After that (and currently) the trend makers have been following is to try to make lighter packs with "fits-all" suspensions, in fewer sizes and "fixed" internal frames with non-removable, customizable stays. The trend is also away from beefy hipblets and harnesses, to lighter and thinner for both.

Makers took away options because it's cheaper, and training store staff to fit packs correctly was a nightmare.

Today there's very little to chose from in any backpackatorium for me. That's why I say the state of packs is so depressing.

Deuter makes a nice pack with removable stays. The better Deuter models use an X frame which makes it tougher to shape, but it can be done. However, their packs are only available in one-size. I'm not sure, but I think Lowe still offers removable stays, as do some of the European makers.

The reason I harp on stays being customizable is my back shape falls outside the pre-shaped frame form. I also have a 22" torso, so I'm too long in the torso for many (most) one-size packs.

All that leaves a guy like me buying older, used packs like those I listed. I wish I still had my Greogry from 1986. One of the most comfortable packs I've ever owned.

If you're of a shorter torso than me, and your back more closely matches the "fixed" frames offered, you have a lot more to chose from.

At my suggestion, a friend of mine recently switched from her Bora 75 to a ULA Catalyst. She had knee surgery and was trying to eliminate ounces everywhere. She absolutely loves the fit and comfort of the Catalyst. ULA offers multiple sizes and removeable, customizable stays. I'll likely get a Catalyst in size Large for a test this summer. I just wish they had a model with a top pocket.

I'll also try the Exped I mentioned.

Of the internal frame hunting packs out there, I still think the Kifaru is at the top. It's a genuine, old-school, customizable internal, with a good lumbar pad.

For externals, Kevin's offerings at Seekoutside have me very interested. EdT seems to like his.

I only strayed away from my Osprey Crescent on time this year, and that was to try an REI Yosemite 75. I got it because it was light, fit my torso, and had removeable stays. However, the pack turned out to have a thin, uncomfortable hipbelt. Had it had a beefier (heavier) belt, I'd have kept the pack.

Here's the REI Yosemite, and next to the ULA Catalyst:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Crescent 75 on this year's hunt with right at 100 lbs:

[Linked Image]

The Bora 80 with around 100 lbs:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks Brad!

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've read enough good reviews to give the Paradox a try. The compression system intrigues me as it would allow me to use an existing bag for camp attached for the hike in. Of course that is only if I can't get everything in the pack as-is. I do like the ability to pull the tent and stove out of that bag and then just set in the tent with all my food and clothes organized. With this pack I look to really try different adjustments to refine the fit. The light weight will be nice too if it fits well. Ha, compared to what I'm used to it will probably feel great!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I haven't done any backpacking since the 1970s - 1980s, but did quite a bit back then. I have an old Kelty Tioga external frame (frame only - the bag fell apart long ago) that I've used as a meat hauler since the '70s. I've been wanting to start backpack hunting again and have felt a pack that can pack in a camp, compress down to serve as a day pack, and haul elk quarters comfortably would suit all my needs.

I spent quite a bit of time researching hunting packs and settled on the Paradox Evo. I bought the frame and compression panel only, and a couple different size dry bags to get started. The first thing I did when it arrived was load 70 lbs on both the Paradox and the old Kelty and walked around a bit. The Paradox is more comfortable and handled the weight better for me. I haven't had a chance to use it hunting other than as a day pack thus far, but I'm confident I made the right choice...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've only used it to pack 3 sheep and one goat....

Man, I really feel for ya........ grin

too funny...that is probably a "normal" sentence for someone living in AK, not so for us down here who may shoot one sheep in 30-45 years laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i was testing the fireproof quality of the vest.... need nomex as it is more fireproof than ballistc nylon. the gasoline bomb that i used for the test landed me in icu in Greeley with 3rd degree burns to my lower legs and 2 and 3 degree to my face, ears and neck... really stupid mistake guys. i was blessed not to have been injured worse and not destroyed my shop. will be back at it soon though.... greeley is a top notch facility and the people are wonderful! Angels everywhere Thank God!

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
posted it in the wrong topic... i am looped from the pain killers. sorry fellas

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good luck Wham, sorry to hear of your misfortune

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you sooo much Kevin. i pray that the Lord Blesses you and your family. Happy hunting/hiking!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.