24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, that's a bad burn! Sorry to hear of it. You get well for your wedding!

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Kifaru Longhunter (excellent pack) and another decent hauler pack but, I keep going back to my Eberlestock J34 for elk hunting. While the load lifters on this pack aren't as robust as those on my Kifaru, I have found that its adjustability well compensates for this shortcoming. It has the ability to compress down nicely to a larger day pack. I have used it now for the past 3 hunting seasons and I think it is a keeper.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Okanagan
i am in surgery monday for lower leg skin grafts
the face is nearly healed and will be fine.
kids, don't play with fire and gasoline.
and keep fire extinguishers everywhere..you can't have too many
the stop drop and roll thing i do not agree with
smothering the flames with a blanket though is a method that works

mercy triumphs over judgement
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Brad
[quote=Huntr]
If you had to walk in a mountaineering shop right now and buy a new pack, what would you pick?

Chip, happy belated birthday!

To me, the pinnacle of packs was from the late 80's through the 1990's from makers like Dana, Osprey, Gregory, Mountainsmith, Lowe, etc. After that (and currently) the trend makers have been following is to try to make lighter packs with "fits-all" suspensions, in fewer sizes and "fixed" internal frames with non-removable, customizable stays. The trend is also away from beefy hipblets and harnesses, to lighter and thinner for both.

Makers took away options because it's cheaper, and training store staff to fit packs correctly was a nightmare.

Today there's very little to chose from in any backpackatorium for me. That's why I say the state of packs is so depressing.

Deuter makes a nice pack with removable stays. The better Deuter models use an X frame which makes it tougher to shape, but it can be done. However, their packs are only available in one-size. I'm not sure, but I think Lowe still offers removable stays, as do some of the European makers.

The reason I harp on stays being customizable is my back shape falls outside the pre-shaped frame form. I also have a 22" torso, so I'm too long in the torso for many (most) one-size packs.

All that leaves a guy like me buying older, used packs like those I listed. I wish I still had my Greogry from 1986. One of the most comfortable packs I've ever owned.

If you're of a shorter torso than me, and your back more closely matches the "fixed" frames offered, you have a lot more to chose from.

At my suggestion, a friend of mine recently switched from her Bora 75 to a ULA Catalyst. She had knee surgery and was trying to eliminate ounces everywhere. She absolutely loves the fit and comfort of the Catalyst. ULA offers multiple sizes and removeable, customizable stays. I'll likely get a Catalyst in size Large for a test this summer. I just wish they had a model with a top pocket.

I'll also try the Exped I mentioned.

Of the internal frame hunting packs out there, I still think the Kifaru is at the top. It's a genuine, old-school, customizable internal, with a good lumbar pad.

For externals, Kevin's offerings at Seekoutside have me very interested. EdT seems to like his.

I only strayed away from my Osprey Crescent on time this year, and that was to try an REI Yosemite 75. I got it because it was light, fit my torso, and had removeable stays. However, the pack turned out to have a thin, uncomfortable hipbelt. Had it had a beefier (heavier) belt, I'd have kept the pack.

Here's the REI Yosemite, and next to the ULA Catalyst:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[/quote\]

I tend to agree with Brad here, but, after owning two Kifaru packs, I much prefer my Mystery Ranch NICE rigs(2).

I also have three Dana Design frame packs and they fit me best.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We have changed a few of our pack offerings. Mainly , how products are offered, and some fabrics, and how they are categorized.

Here are the links , let me know if you have any questions
Lightweight Backpacks
Standard Use Backpacks
Rugged Use Lightweight Backpacks

It is important to note, the suspension is the same of all of these depending on platform (500D Cordura), just materials of Backpack Pack bags and Talons change.

Pricing is pretty similar, as to before, maybe changing a few dollars up or down depending. The amount of different fabrics is reduced.
Lightweight uses X21RC , the same as VX21 without the interior scrim so it has less interior abrasion resistance. Since this fabric is very light, we did away with Cuben fiber as an option. It is also more quiet as it is a softer fabric. A 210D face fabric is just far more durable than Cuben for a 2 ounce gain per pack really and it is far less expensive.
Standard uses VX21 Coyote Soft , which is more quiet and has been our most popular fabric. Both of the X21 fabrics work very well for most uses such as busting brush etc and should look new after many miles through timber and brush. However, for canyons / talus / scree VX42 is a better choice.
Rugged use is VX42 in a Light Gray , which is a very abrasion resistant material , great when rock abrasion is a concern.

Color options are really two (Coyote (VX21) and Light Gray (VX42 and X21RC))

We will likely do small runs of Orange Talons prior to hunting season , available as a separate purchase.

All Talons have the mesh back panel.

If you have any questions , let me know.

Last edited by Kevin_T; 01/12/15.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have three Dana Design frame packs and they fit me best.

above is a quote

me too the shortbed? love that one

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3 skingraft done this morning

northern Colo. hospital/medical center is 5 star amazing!

Greeley Colorado. best hospital i have ever been to and i've been in a few....

tell them brian sent you

vote for Wham

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by whambasted
i was testing the fireproof quality of the vest.... need nomex as it is more fireproof than ballistc nylon. the gasoline bomb that i used for the test landed me in icu in Greeley with 3rd degree burns to my lower legs and 2 and 3 degree to my face, ears and neck... really stupid mistake guys. i was blessed not to have been injured worse and not destroyed my shop. will be back at it soon though.... greeley is a top notch facility and the people are wonderful! Angels everywhere Thank God!

Dude....

That really sucks. Hope you make a full recovery. Take care of yourself and get better. I really want to give you [bleep] about this, but you are not the first to do something stupid with gasoline, and I'm in that group too. Sounds like you are in good hands, and are counting your blessings - best of luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brian,

Get well. I'll refrain from busting your chops until you recover.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i'm alive and kickin... God Bless you guys and i will be back working hopefully by Monday. 3 skin grafts and a lot of meds but i'm fine. Have a great day folks!!

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.