Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For casual (non-competition) trap, skeet, and sporting clays, is it even worth it to reload? I can buy Federal or Winchester 1 1/8 oz 2 /34 or 3 dram target loads for $5.75 to $6.50 a box.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I reloaded to get my favored hunting load that was often not available here. I shot crows in the off season with the same load. Going through 4-5 cases(500 rd cases) made reloading worth it.

With the current cost of componets, I'm not sure you can save unless you shoot an awful lot. Do the math.

Aside: Noticed that Wal-mart had Winchester shells that exactly matched my favorite load, on the shelf for $11.75.
(3 1/4, 1 1/4, #5s)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Neat calculator in the link below:

http://www.trapshooters.com/pages/reloadcalc/

For your stated purposes probibly not. Components are high, powder is sparce to non existant. Would be a bad time to get into it with the objective of saving money.

I enjoy doing it. My loads are taylored to my liking. They are consistant and give me confidence. When computing costs I consider the cost of Preimium shells vs my reloads.

Practice loads using components bought at wholesale and reclaim shot still provide good savings over the "promo" (cheap stuff) loads. That being said, Powder cost and availability have cut my savings and loading. I suspect it will be awhile before "normalacy" returns to powder.

If you watch you can get the Fed and Win Target loads even cheaper. I bought quite a few Fed 4 packs when Wal-Mart had them for $20. Various suppliers also offered Fed Top Gun flats for just over $50 recently. Bass Pro ran a deal on Rem Gun Club's recently with free shipping.

To WebP47's comments; hunting loads taylored to you needs can be difficult to find and very expensive. You have done well to find a satisfactory load at Wal-Mart prices and readily available. I have a few "pet loads" for hunting and shooting games that are much cheaper to assemble and very effective. I love breaking the bird as the third man in Annies just before it hits the ground. cool

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Right now with the amount of different loads available to the shooter via factory loads, and considering the cost of shot, etc. I would not get into reloading.. For about six years I shot quite a bit of trap.. Bought a bunch of shot at $13/bag.. Then quit ATA trap and only shoot at the local shoots.. For me it is easier to pick up loaded ammo than fool with reloads.. At the price I got the shot for, it is a bit cheaper than factory..

Molon Labe
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the comments. I think I will skip it for now.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've reloaded shotshells for 40+ years, but I am going to quit reloading 12 gauge target loads for the following reasons: 1.) cost....can buy 'em cheaper than I can reload 'em 2.) Inability to find powder.....any powder I get anymore goes into loading revolver & pistol rounds. 3.) Cost of lead shot. This is absolutely CRIMINAL!!!! Price skyrocketed from $15/25lbs to $50/25lbs in the course of a couple of years....we were told it was because China was having a building boom and was buying up all the raw materials; now that China's boom has gone bust, the prices of other lead items has come down.....but shot remains ridiculously high! Why?! 4.) Do to the nature of my work, I now have to spend more time "on call" for the hospital, which means that I only get one weekend a month off (if that) to enjoy the outdoors. Not to mention the fact that one those few days off, I will have to run errands like take the dog to the vet, go to the DMV, etc. My ability to go shooting has now been severely curtailed.
Having said that, I will continue to reload 16 gauge shotshells, as they are becoming increasingly difficult to find, and will continue to reloading hunting and specialty hulls (buckshot, slugs, nontoxic, blanks, etc.) for all gauges that I shoot. Also, I will reload target shells until I have used up my supply of wads........and will continue to buy shot for use in my muzzleloading shotguns....just not as much of it.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have loaded shotshells for 35+ years, but find I am shooting less each year. The rabbits and quail are way down in numbers and land access gets harder each year, so I am hunting small game less. If I did not already have the equipment, I would not bother at all. I will say that I cannot find good 16 gauge ammo on a regular basis, so I do reload that just to have a reliable supply. After I got my 16 gauge loader though, I found B&P shells at a good price online, so I would not even have to load them if I bought a flat at a time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Right now with the amount of different loads available to the shooter via factory loads, and considering the cost of shot, etc. I would not get into reloading.. For about six years I shot quite a bit of trap.. Bought a bunch of shot at $13/bag.. Then quit ATA trap and only shoot at the local shoots.. For me it is easier to pick up loaded ammo than fool with reloads.. At the price I got the shot for, it is a bit cheaper than factory..

I'm in the same boat. Belonged to 3 trap/gun clubs at one time. Shot a minimum of 2 nights and 3 days locally. Did a lot of money/meat shoots on the weekends too. Burned up cases of ammo in a weeks time. Sold my shot shell reloading equipment a few years ago. The cost of shot per bag now is so ridiculous it's not even funny. If one wants to shoot a lot, there's always the option of buying reclaimed shot from trap clubs, but that is still pretty expensive as compared to what good magnum shot cost about 5 years ago. We don't even want to get into how much copper plated stuff costs. The stuff works great when you are 80 yards behind the trap house and using longshot though.... wink. To answer the OP's question: NO.... I'd be looking at the cheaper trap loads available: Estate, fiocchi, Rio's, wally world value packs (sold in 100 round boxes) and Remington gunclubs. Just a word of caution, watch out for the steel (instead of brass) base hulls. They don't suggest reloading them and they have been known to jam up some shotguns...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a shotshell reloader some time back from a fire member but I got components with it and my father had several pounds of 4,6,8, and 9 shot that he bought 40+ years ago so it was worth it to me. I try to catch the Rem. gun clubs on sale, if I can get them for around $5.75 a box I'm better off and then I have a reloadable hull for rabbit loads or buckshot. I just picked up a couple cases of Fed. Top gun target loads from Dicks for $5.48 a box. I would suggest taking advantage of sales unless you shoot a lot of specialty loads. But, I also enjoy reloading so to me that adds some value. You might consider finding a deal on used reloader that comes with extras and see if a friend wants to split the cost with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do, but only because I have a lot of components left over from when I used to shoot a lot of clay. With the price of shot, probably wont load when it runs out unless shot prices come down.

The only advantage, I always have the load I want to use on hand the minute I walk out the door.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

H
H
No is the short answer. You an buy factory loads even cheaper if you really keep an eye out.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, that's the pragmatic answer. I'll continue to load all of my own shotgun cartridges though. I don't care if it's a significant saving or not, I enjoy doing it and it gives me a skinch more satisfaction to break birds with my own shells.

My landlord (who doesn't shoot anymore) has a ton of 8's and 9's out in the shed that he sells me at 10 year ago prices when I need it, ditto a shelf full of Clays, Unique, Universal Clays, Red Dot, etc. So for me, the cost is still better than factory stuff. Hopefully now that my hip is mended I'll get back in the shotgun groove, and take advantage of the old MEC!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I roll my own because the loads I like are not commonly available. I shoot trap with light 1 oz 12 gauge loads. 1150 fps is plenty to break a clay target.

I can also load very light (3/4 oz) 20 gauge shells for kids to get started on. The biggest mistake people often make is to give a kid a 5 pound single barrel 20 gauge and 1 ounce field loads.

The real cost saving are in the small skeet loads. Reloaded 28 gauge shells cost less than 1/2 the price of factory loads.

Michael

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
With limited availability of powder and shot at high prices it is not economical as it used to be.
But I started about 50yrs ago and have good supplies of components. I mainly shoot sxs shotguns, some quite old some with damascus barrels and reloading allows me to keep pressure down to low limits while still getting good velocity.
I shoot mostly 12 7/8oz and SR7625 for under 4000psi
Unfortunately SR7625 is no longer being produced so when my stock is gone I'll need a replacement.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't reload to meet or beat the price of promotional shot shells. I reload to custom tailor my loads to equal AA or STS light load for skeet and 5 stand. AA and STS go for $8 per box I can reload for under $4 with 7/8 oz of 8 1/2 hard shot that pattern very well and destroys clays at skeet ranges and are easy on my shoulder.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I consider buying shells when they get close to $5 / 25 but since I get my shot and hulls for free it is hard to justify not reloading.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reload for my favored 16-gauges and for premium 12-gauge pheasant loads (nickel-plated 5's). I still save money on those.

Been thinking more and more lately that 12-gauge dove reloads are not economical, but I still have components, I enjoy the time with my Dad, and I know what loads my shotguns each like, so ...

Had I to start now from scratch, I'd have to say getting in it to save money is fool's gold.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's probably a good idea for rounds like the 28 ga. You can custom load what works best and factory ammo is pricey.

For more common 12 and 20 ga. loads, I don't see the savings, especially with the current cost of shot.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.