Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't sound like negligence, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept:

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) � Concealed weapons are part of everyday life in Idaho, and that�s unlikely to change in the Mountain West state despite a shocking accident in which a 2-year-old boy reached into his mother�s purse, got ahold of her gun and shot her in the head inside a Wal-Mart.

Veronica J. Rutledge, 29, was shopping Tuesday with her son and three nieces in Hayden, Idaho, when the small-caliber handgun discharged one time, killing her. Terry Rutledge, Veronica�s father-in-law, told The Spokesman-Review that the boy unzipped the special gun compartment in the woman�s purse where the weapon was kept while she was looking at clothing.

Victoria Rutledge had a concealed weapons permit, and guns were a big part of her life, Terry Rutledge said.

�She was not the least bit irresponsible,� Terry Rutledge said in a brief interview with The Associated Press.

Meanwhile, the Kootenai County Sheriff�s Office on Wednesday afternoon released a few more details about the incident. The boy removed the 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his mother�s purse and shot her once in the head, killing her instantly, the sheriff�s office said.

The manager of the store stepped in and took the firearm from the child, the sheriff�s office said. The manager and employees secured the scene and evacuated customers.

The woman�s purse was a Christmas gift from her husband and was designed to carry a concealed firearm, the sheriff�s office said. Detectives continue to analyze video from the store, examine the weapon and interview witnesses, the sheriff�s office added.

Terry Rutledge told The Washington Post that Veronica Rutledge and her husband practiced at shooting ranges and each had a concealed weapons permit.

About 7 percent of adults in Idaho had concealed weapons permits at the end of 2012, according to the Crime Prevention Research Center in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. That ranked Idaho among the top third of states.

Veronica Rutledge lived in Blackfoot, in southeastern Idaho, and her family had come to the Hayden area, 40 miles northeast of Spokane, to visit relatives for Christmas. She was an employee of the Idaho National Laboratory near Idaho Falls where she was a nuclear scientist. The laboratory supports the U.S. Department of Energy in nuclear and energy research and national defense.

�We�re deeply saddened by this tragedy,� said Nicole Stricker, a spokeswoman for the lab.

Colt Rutledge, 32, arrived at the store in Idaho�s panhandle shortly after the shooting Tuesday morning, Kootenai County sheriff�s spokesman Stu Miller said Wednesday. Their children were taken to a relative�s house. Officers viewed surveillance video from the store to determine what happened, Miller said.

Last edited by mudhen; 01/02/15.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very sad. I wouldn't say she wasn't irresponsible. Unfortunately she and everyone with her failed to closely watch a 2 year old. On top of that they put the 2 year old in contact with a loaded pistol.

This is something they would never have done if they had stopped and thought about it. So sad that it only took a few minuets irresponsibility to cause such a horrible accident.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bottom line is that when a small child gets access to a loaded firearm, someone was negligent. It's a complete tragedy and I can see where the Mom assumed the CCW was secure. I'm sure she never in her wildest nightmares ever thought her child would go into her CCW-designed purse, unzip the pocket and pull out the gun. She was experienced and trained often. She took care to buy a special purse.

All that being said, I've never liked women carrying a CCW in a purse. Keep it on your body. A mugger will grab your purse and that is often the target of a bad guy. The result is not only a stolen purse, but if it is a violent attack, they prevent the CCH from having immediate access to their personal defense weapon. Keep it on your body.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My thoughts and prayers go out to her son and what effects this tragedy may have on him as he grows and matures.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
My thoughts and prayers go out to her son and what effects this tragedy may have on him as he grows and matures.

That fellow is going to need the grace of God to untie the knots in his head as he grows older. Very very sad beyond words.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ah yes ,hindsight is so much better.It was an ACCIDENT.A tragic one and there is no need to point fingers.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was her fault. No question. She left the purse with a weapon in it within reach of her two year old. Then didn't pay enough attention to either the kid or the weapon and got shot for it.

If you're gonna carry, it comes with responsibilities.

It's sad, and my heart goes out to the family. But it was 100% preventable and negligent.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
An accident is ALWAYS someones fault, I sure ain't going to lay the blame on a 2 year old.

Tragic for sure, the kid is going to have a tough time of it when he's older.

Last edited by 12344mag; 01/02/15.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very tragic event! While few accidents are totally avoidable, I have (for years) advocated a handgun that a small child may access always have a multiple safety system. A good example being a Springfield XD series. Small hands can't manipulate both the grip and trigger safeties. If the child is big enough to do so, that child should have been "properly" trained by that age! memtb

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I do not advocate carrying a weapon in any manner unattached to the body, ever.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
Doesn't sound like negligence, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept:

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) � Concealed weapons are part of everyday life in Idaho, and that�s unlikely to change in the Mountain West state despite a shocking accident in which a 2-year-old boy reached into his mother�s purse, got ahold of her gun and shot her in the head inside a Wal-Mart.

Veronica J. Rutledge, 29, was shopping Tuesday with her son and three nieces in Hayden, Idaho, when the small-caliber handgun discharged one time, killing her. Terry Rutledge, Veronica�s father-in-law, told The Spokesman-Review that the boy unzipped the special gun compartment in the woman�s purse where the weapon was kept while she was looking at clothing.

Victoria Rutledge had a concealed weapons permit, and guns were a big part of her life, Terry Rutledge said.

�She was not the least bit irresponsible,� Terry Rutledge said in a brief interview with The Associated Press.

Meanwhile, the Kootenai County Sheriff�s Office on Wednesday afternoon released a few more details about the incident. The boy removed the 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his mother�s purse and shot her once in the head, killing her instantly, the sheriff�s office said.

The manager of the store stepped in and took the firearm from the child, the sheriff�s office said. The manager and employees secured the scene and evacuated customers.

The woman�s purse was a Christmas gift from her husband and was designed to carry a concealed firearm, the sheriff�s office said. Detectives continue to analyze video from the store, examine the weapon and interview witnesses, the sheriff�s office added.

Terry Rutledge told The Washington Post that Veronica Rutledge and her husband practiced at shooting ranges and each had a concealed weapons permit.

About 7 percent of adults in Idaho had concealed weapons permits at the end of 2012, according to the Crime Prevention Research Center in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. That ranked Idaho among the top third of states.

Veronica Rutledge lived in Blackfoot, in southeastern Idaho, and her family had come to the Hayden area, 40 miles northeast of Spokane, to visit relatives for Christmas. She was an employee of the Idaho National Laboratory near Idaho Falls where she was a nuclear scientist. The laboratory supports the U.S. Department of Energy in nuclear and energy research and national defense.

�We�re deeply saddened by this tragedy,� said Nicole Stricker, a spokeswoman for the lab.

Colt Rutledge, 32, arrived at the store in Idaho�s panhandle shortly after the shooting Tuesday morning, Kootenai County sheriff�s spokesman Stu Miller said Wednesday. Their children were taken to a relative�s house. Officers viewed surveillance video from the store to determine what happened, Miller said.

She was very irresponsible and sadly paid the price..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fanny packs, unlike purses, just telegraph to the bad guy(s), "Shoot me first".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Indeed a tragic accident. Irresponsible? Not being privy to the absolute details, I'll not make judgment. Near all of us though can prevent accidents with 20/20 hindsight.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Indeed a tragic accident. Irresponsible? Not being privy to the absolute details, I'll not make judgment. Near all of us though can prevent accidents with 20/20 hindsight.

Damn irresponsible. No way around that fact. No excuse..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

^^^^
This,

It's amazing there are so many prefect people here at the fire.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
Ah yes ,hindsight is so much better.It was an ACCIDENT.A tragic one and there is no need to point fingers.

Insomuch as there is an opportunity to learn from someone else's tragic mistakes and prevent a repeat, there is always a need to "point fingers".

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unfortunately, the poor women made a tragic mistake and payed dearly with her life.
Hopefully, other parents with small children can learn from her mistake.
NEVER leave a child un-attended with in reach of a loaded gun. Period.

Prayers for her child and family. May the Good Lord comfort & heal them!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No matter how safe people are chit happens in this world , nothing is 100% regardless of what you do when children are involved.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Now many more details do you need to know she left the purse and the child together unattended?

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
No matter how safe people are chit happens in this world , nothing is 100% regardless of what you do when children are involved.

Agreed. My post was not mean't to criticize the poor woman at all. We all make mistakes, and it could happen to any of us with only a moments lapse in judgement or distraction.

My point was that I hope this tragedy would make parents who have small children to be ever vigilant when carrying a concealed weapon.

Also, the incident also gives the Anti-Gun Crowd just the kind of publicity they want to use to take away our 2nd Amendment rights!
Unfortantley, they will use this tragedy to continue to lay the blame on the "bad" handgun and CHL holders everywhere.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.