Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9475377 01/02/15
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Bought on a 40/65 1874 pedersoli. I'm guessing the markings that go 25 50 75 10 25 50 75 20 25 50 75 30
Signify marks up to 300 yds. Well I got to get a handle on this cause my meek load puts em on zero @ 100 yds with it only set at 30 yds. Argo the rest of my markings aren't worth jack.
Ways to solve? ie is there such thing as a tape with markings I can stick onto staff to correct it?

"Words may show a man's wit, but actions his meaning"
B. Franklin
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those markings do not indicate yards, but MOA, and there is no way to zero the sight. Typically, each mark on the vernier is .010", and it works out to one MOA only if the sight radius is 36". You might be able to calculate sight settings at various distances, but I just shoot and record the settings. Calculated settings might get you close, but there is really no substitute for shooting.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well ya, but there ain't no .010 tween my marks friend. It's more like .030+

B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might help if one furnished a measure from the lowest to highest detents. Then one can do the math.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by soopercooper

Kelley's own web site says the elevation shaft is marked in increments of one MOA. Do you know how to read a vernier? Not a put-down, just an honest question.

Did your sight come with instructions?

Paul

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Might help if one furnished a measure from the lowest to highest detents. Then one can do the math.

It's a VERNIER, and it's laid out like any and ALL vernier scales.

The marks on that staff have NOTHING to do with yardage.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39

Kelley's own web site says the elevation shaft is marked in increments of one MOA. Do you know how to read a vernier? Not a put-down, just an honest question.

Paul

It's NOT April 1st for 4 months yet, and that is when this should have been posted.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Try this, and thank Kermit Hoke, maker of one of the finest of these sights.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

Paul

34 year tool maker can kinda goof by with a real vernier scale
No instructions

B. Franklin
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
OK, so can I read a "mini" vernier scale? Yes and get it fully now

Thank You

B. Franklin
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No instructions

Where were you making tools, ...

Uganda ?

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those markings do not indicate yards, but MOA, and there is no way to zero the sight. Typically, each mark on the vernier is .010", and it works out to one MOA only if the sight radius is 36". You might be able to calculate sight settings at various distances, but I just shoot and record the settings. Calculated settings might get you close, but there is really no substitute for shooting.

Hope this helps.

Paul

The 36" thing IS the sticking point, and we're lucky enough to have the long barrels / sight radii to work with that we do.

Here's one to write down, if you don't have it on file yet.

Sight radius X .00029 = 1 MOA value in thousandths of an inch.

Semper 40 TPI !

GTC

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
No instructions

Where were you making tools, ...

Uganda ?

GTC

No in a place Called CDC doing work for Your military so as You could have the freedom to have girly balls that are only tough at a key board.....Thanks for asking though.
Oh BTW, when the scope on one of Your battleships locks and holds target acquisition, no need to thank this dumby from Uganda. Where did You do Your tool making or is Your vernier scale reading isolated to the sports only. Sadly supported, un schooled method of knowledge

Last edited by soopercooper; 01/03/15.

B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your postings thus far really sounded like your increments of measurement may have been thickness of banana leaf, Mate.

Why don't you just run off and get your hands on a new in the box vintage sight, and ask idiotic questions about how to best screw up it's finish ? crazy

Link: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...19/Re_fading_dulling_blueing#Post9443119

....you seem a little bit lost here.

GTC

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ya as lost as You are pig arrogant.

Is Oracle like orifice?

Last edited by soopercooper; 01/03/15.

B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right,

...just pointing out that the combination of thin skin and a proclivity for asking really DUMB questions, prefaced with digs and aspersions tossed at folks that make sights, and that many of us KNOW personally may see your stick float a little low in some regards.

You are obviously very special, and will no doubt master in weeks what took many of us years to noodle out.

We'll be watching that evolution in awe.

GTC

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
No need when someone can explain w/out the high post arrogance which seems prevelant on these "Forum",. Interesting word, Forum. Almost make a person think that two way dialogue at any knowledge level would be tolerated. Could it be dicks like You that have people telling me they USED to belong to 24 hr but couldn't tough the know it all babies any longer? Could be coincidence. Sure it will be in Your mind

http://tmtpages.com/vernier.htm As written by a non condisending real man. I got a buck says spelling will be next. We're awaiting with Awe

B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh quit yer' damn sniveling,

.....by way of messing up and distressing bluing jobs, it sounds like you could do it with yer' breath.

GTC

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I use a Vernier Caliper and mic when I need a close tolerance. I just don't trust the digital caliper, just to much of a chance putting to much thump pressure on it and getting a false reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.