Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was looking through the app store at the ballistics apps available. Anyone using an app for figuring drop and windage? Any recommendations?

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nosler has an application for an iPhone. I downloaded and installed it but never really used it before I switched to an Android. I think you could read the reviews and get an idea as to its quality and useability.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
The reviews on the Nosler app say it's hard to read and you can't resize the screen. Still, The price is ok. Any others?

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tried most of em and they are pretty much useless. The nosler and the others depended on you having a data signal for current conditions, Nosler is limited to their bullets only and that is limited. Hard to navigate. Gave up on all of them.
If I want drops and windage, I just divey up the wind conditions by 4, run a 4 load comparison graph at home then load it into a xls file and email it to myself.

Swifty
IC B2

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
The shooter app and the Ballistic both are excellent. If I don't have a signal I use my kestrel to get data and plug in and put my phone on airplane mode to extend battery life

Curiosity killed the cat, But for a while I was a suspect.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, pay 10 to 20 bucks for an app, then have to carry a 100 dollar + wind meter and fumble around loading data due to no signal, and worry about battery life to boot. Tell you what why not just spend 600 bucks for a kestrel ballistics wind meter and leave the phone in the car.

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shooter by Sean Kennedy.
Don't need signal just battery.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Shooter by Sean Kennedy.
Don't need signal just battery.

Dave

To properly function and give accurate results it does need a data signal.

http://www.shooterapp.net

Automatic Atmosphere Automatically populate Altitude, Temperature, Pressure, Humidity and Wind Speed by pulling data from the nearest weather station based off GPS location (Density Altitude may also be used instead of altitude/pressure/humidity input).

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Swiftly,
The software allows for manual entry of weather data. A signal is much better however in it's absence the program functions well with data acquired when signal is available in close proximity to where the shooting is taking place.
Have it on my IPhone and on my IPad. Gathering up things to develop a load or two for a new NULA in 6.5x284 and have plugged several options into the Shooter App. I would highly recommend the App.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Swiftly,
The software allows for manual entry of weather data. A signal is much better however in it's absence the program functions well with data acquired when signal is available in close proximity to where the shooting is taking place.
Have it on my IPhone and on my IPad. Gathering up things to develop a load or two for a new NULA in 6.5x284 and have plugged several options into the Shooter App. I would highly recommend the App.

Dave

Not what you said in first post.

Ballistics printed on paper

[Linked Image]

Weather model for the day

[Linked Image]

Email or print out. If I do have a signal, I call up my home PC and run everything in remote. Don't need any Phlucking phone or app to guess just as good as you with no signal.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ballistic AE is what I have been using with good results.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Swiftly,
Just noticed your reply. Looks like your method works well for you. I'll be fine with my IPhone which has worked well hunting and shooting Mule Deer and Coues Deer in Mexico, Speed Goats and Prairie Dogs in Wyoming, and Whitetail Deer and 12" square AR 500 plates in WV to name a coupl� of places where I have employed the use of it without having to rely on cell service.
Battery is critical though which is why I travel with and carry in my pack a solar cell charger.
I like your method with the weather data all "real time" and I am glad you like it and hope it has produced many success's.

Dave

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use shooter also and it works great. Like RaceTire said, if the signal doesn't hack it then take your best guess and enter the data manually, it'll be close enough. Everything with a ballistics program is an approximation, a few degrees and being off 20% on the humidity is only going to make a tiny difference. The error induced in the equation by using G1 BC's like in the chart above when you should be using G7's is much more than being a bit off on the atmospherics.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Try the Istrelok app. I've had it for almost two years...
Found it to be accurate and easy to navigate. Does more than I need. I think it's around $7.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bullet Flight works for me. It does require data if u want the gnats on dope for the current conditions of your location.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
LetFlyDlx.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Old thread, but I use JBMBallistics. If I'm going somewhere I don't/won't have a data connection, I print something out from QuickTARGET Unlimited and take it with me. With those two, I haven't been able to see a reason in the world to pay more for an 'app' on another piece of electronics.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.