Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm trying to find a better turkey vest and wanted to see what you're using. My current vest has a built in frame so that you have a rest whenever you set down, which is great if you're hunting field edges or other flat areas. If anywhere else, you have to take the vest off and set it up sideways. It's not the worst vest I've seen, but I think there are probably better options out there.

What are you using?

Thanks,

Chris

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After a lot of years and different vests, I settled on one from L.L. Bean. Set up right and comfortable.

As far as a built in frame...get a turkey seat and a tree....lol.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/gear/hunting/2009/05/ll-bean-double-l-turkey-hunting-vest

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Super Elite III...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one of the Cabelas brand vests last year, best flip down seat in the biz IMO. For my style of run and gun hunting its close perfect, pockets could be a bit different but I will get use to that in time.

The seat is about 2 inches thick and comfortable for sitting on the ground, the back also has some padding which is nice.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using a Super Elite II for a decade - great vest. As a "run and gun" turkey hunter the most important attibute in a vest to me is a thick seat that won't compress down in a short time (so I can remain very still) - all of them have plenty of pockets.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also use the Cabelas with the thick seat. I think their older vests were designed better but the new one with the thick seat fits my run and gun style.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I really like the looks of that LL Bean vest. They're not listed on their website anymore, so that sucks. I'm in need of a new vest also and there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there that I like.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
I really like the looks of that LL Bean vest. They're not listed on their website anymore, so that sucks. I'm in need of a new vest also and there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there that I like.

If I recall they are seasonal. Might want to watch their site prior to the season or perhaps call them and inquire.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I like the looks of the LL Bean, so I'll keep an eye out. I've looked online and done several searches, but can't find a Super Elite III in stock anywhere. It looks like they were discontinued last year.

Has anybody seen one recently? I wonder if they are seasonal as well...

Thanks,

Chris

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I really like Cabela's Tactical Tat'r II Vest. Holds all my gear quiet and secure. The flip down seat allows quick and quiet one-handed setup.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave up on vests about 15 years ago. It was just to much. What I did instead was start using a . . . well, you can be kind and call it a messenger bag, or you can call it what it is: a purse.

[Linked Image]

It holds a box call, a couple-three pot calls. A dozen mouth calls ammo and extras. I throw the rest of the kit in a musette bag. I attach a lightweight foam seat to the back of the purse for my butt.

If you're looking for a good reason for not wearing a vest, it comes down to two things:

1) Covering the back door. The easiest way to deal with a gobbler coming up on your six is to roll to one side of the tree or the other and go prone. With a vest, I found all my gear falling out or clanking.

2) Going light and fast. Some times I will shed all my gear and do an end-around with just my shotgun and a mouth call. It is very easy to dump the load when it falls off at just the touch of a buckle.

[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of the whole rig in action. I was trying to get out before a big thunderstorm hit and rolled up all my outerwear into the musette bag. The wind was up, so the lightweight pads were blowing. Normally the musette bag is nearly empty, but I like the extra room for storing my sweater, etc on the hike out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cabela's Tactical Tat'r II

This is what I got last year. I like it, I really like not using a vest but I get real hot easily so I got one mainly for water.

Funny thing, not wearing a vest I only take the bare minimum. Once you put one of those things on you feel like you have to fill it up.

"I do not hunt turkeys becuse I want to, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion." I love my wife:)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H.S. Strut SUV Deluxe Vest. Bought mine at Cabela's 6-7 years ago. MidwayUsa has them cheaper.

I use it for coyote hunting also. Drop down padded seat, plenty of pockets and room for layered garments.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2055228656/hs-strut-mens-suv-deluxe-turkey-vest-polyester

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to carry a gobbler over my shoulder like that. I hunt rough country and long distances from the truck and packing one over the shoulder like that is a killer.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
I hate to carry a gobbler over my shoulder like that. I hunt rough country and long distances from the truck and packing one over the shoulder like that is a killer.

What do suggest as an alternative? I keep an orange sack in my bag that has shoulder straps, but if it's just a short trip, I'll just use a shoelace and a stick. I just don't like taking the time to hose out the bag once it gets bloody.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've looked everywhere trying to find a Super Elite, but can't find one listed.

I'm not sure if it's seasonal or if it has been discontinued.

I have used turkey vests for everything from coyote hunting to deer hunting.

If you see one, please let me know.

Thanks!

Chris

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shaman... That's what the bag on the back of my vest is for. For years I packed a shotgun with no sling and carried gobblers slung over the shoulder. There is a better way, at least for me and my situation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is what I use to carry a bird.
[Linked Image]

"I do not hunt turkeys becuse I want to, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion." I love my wife:)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I've looked everywhere trying to find a Super Elite, but can't find one listed.

I'm not sure if it's seasonal or if it has been discontinued.

I have used turkey vests for everything from coyote hunting to deer hunting.

If you see one, please let me know.

Thanks!
Chris

Looks like Ol Tom picked up the design with Russel not making them anymore.

https://www.marshmutt.com/shop/turkey-hunting-vest/ol-tom-technical-turkey-gear-cotton-full-vest/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like it except for the magnet attaching seat. I don't care for that, my son has one and it constantly comes unattached and flops down. Drives him crazy, he is going to work on the issue before this season opens.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Somebody made a vest with a seat that had a backrest and "legs" they set down. I always thought that was a great idea. I'd like a new vest this year but I can't find that one

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Scratch that found it: It's the tenzing turkey pack

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by shaman
I gave up on vests about 15 years ago. It was just to much. What I did instead was start using a . . . well, you can be kind and call it a messenger bag, or you can call it what it is: a purse.

[Linked Image]

It holds a box call, a couple-three pot calls. A dozen mouth calls ammo and extras. I throw the rest of the kit in a musette bag. I attach a lightweight foam seat to the back of the purse for my butt.

If you're looking for a good reason for not wearing a vest, it comes down to two things:

1) Covering the back door. The easiest way to deal with a gobbler coming up on your six is to roll to one side of the tree or the other and go prone. With a vest, I found all my gear falling out or clanking.

2) Going light and fast. Some times I will shed all my gear and do an end-around with just my shotgun and a mouth call. It is very easy to dump the load when it falls off at just the touch of a buckle.

[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of the whole rig in action. I was trying to get out before a big thunderstorm hit and rolled up all my outerwear into the musette bag. The wind was up, so the lightweight pads were blowing. Normally the musette bag is nearly empty, but I like the extra room for storing my sweater, etc on the hike out.

I also have one of these. Very, very well made, and perfect for run and gun, Indian pursuit of the feathery fools.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
After a lot of years of wearing a vest, I've settled on carrying less crap with me into the woods. I'm a better hunter for it. I do carry a foam pad to sit my fat ass on though.

I have a slate carrier that hooks to my belt, the diaphragm calls fit in my pocket, and if/when I use dekes, I carry it.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shaman

What do suggest as an alternative?

Oh... I thought that's why we were supposed to bring our kids along. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I swore off vests a few years ago. IF i had to buy one, it'd be the Ol Tom STRAP VEST. They look just about right and not hot.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've also found they get in the way of my early afternoon naps by usually getting twisted up. grin Not really kidding that much. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Super Elites back in production by Mossy Oak.

http://store.mossyoak.com/detail.aspx?ID=12365

Last edited by Holston; 02/03/15.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Scratch that found it: It's the tenzing turkey pack

Camofire just had the Tenzing on sale the other day. Might watch it to see if they'll throw them up again.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
D
I used a vest a couple of years, then switched to a fanny pack. I was carrying more stuff than I needed, and hated how cumbersome the vest was. I do like how some vests have some nice seating attachments, but that's not enough of a benefit for me to go back to a vest

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.