Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Local Gander Mountain has a very new looking henry carbine lever 22 on the used rack for $199. It looks brand new except someone burred up the screw heads which lead me to think bubba gunsmith has occurred.

Take a chance and look it over and pick it up if things look in order?

Yea its spooky that the gun is almost perfect other than the suspicious screws....

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Which screw heads, on the receiver cover? Yea, I'd be very suspicious. Does it function fine otherwise?

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by humdinger
Yea its spooky that the gun is almost perfect other than the suspicious screws....

screws are cheap....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
It was a fast trip through there and they have the lever zip tied shut because a trigger lock doesn't work on it. I didn't take the time to have the zip tie removes to try it.

The screw I noticed was at the lever pivot and around that area. Some at the barrel band too. Its things you would expect to see on a well worn and refinished marlin 336.

If its still there, I'm going to give it a look over and if it functions, I will buy it and fix the screws. I think Gander has a firearm guarantee so I may be protected by that.

This would be a nice little rifle since my quest to find a marlin mountie is not working.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bought it.
Action worked smooth and the rifle is in superb shape that I will replace the screw.
Tried feeding shells through and flawless and it ejects very well.

Plan on test firing it Sunday.

The only downfall on these is the painted receivers.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a nice buy!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well how did it go?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a new one for $239 a few years ago.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
update:
Gun shoots well and works well... except:
The feed tube will rotate from unlock and start to push out. You cant see the magazine telescope out when shooting and you detect it by not feeding the next round.
Henry doesn't have a back slope on their lock notch so this is bound to happen. I ground a half diameter detent with my dremel and found a thicker o-ring to use as the lock spring and it feels much better.
The rear sight wouldn't move for me so I need to oil that and get a bigger brass punch for the next range trip.
It seems to shoot pretty accurate for the crude iron sights so I will put a scope on it to test it out. I suspect it will shoot on par with my plain jane 10-22.
Downloaded the henry book and will order the 2 screws after the holidays.

So I am so price neutral on the gun and probably can sell it any time. Its a fun little gun that works slick and may be my goof around lever 22 when I want to pretend to shoot the opening scene from the rifleman!

I fear this may go down the road in a year or two because I think I just picked up a nice rem 121 pump 22 this week and that maybe a keeper.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is there some kinda law that says a feller can't have a leevergun AND a pumper?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i picked up a Henry youth model about 8 yrs ago for the kids to use. we never could get the POI low enough to shoot at 20 yrds even with the rear ramp as low as it would go it was still about 1 1/2" or so high. never got a different lower front bead site for it my kids just learned to use some Kentucky windage. it shot ok but not nears as good as my 39 and i eventually moved it down the road for something else. it did always feed and eject well with most ammo and for the price not a bad little rifle. we too experienced the mag tube thing on occasion.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Is there some kinda law that says a feller can't have a leevergun AND a pumper?

Nope. Its just my impulsive buying habits and eventually I keep what I truly like and the Model 39A and rem 121 may crowd out the henry if the safe gets anymore full.

Although I started thinking I better check my home owners policy on firearms and how they handle replacement and if I have enough coverage...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.