Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Between the toes... the burning question is -- was that rest really necessary?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
These guys that guide brown bear hunts have stories. I know it!!

Bashful, they are!

no doubt about it, I'd be willing to venture that 458Win, SitkaDeer and others have some hair raisers.

I've had a few encounters ( a few too many ) of the close kind with bears and one dead huge beaver that for just a sec as I almost stepped on it was convinced it was a bear cub! lol

it's funny they just don't seem like that big a deal any more

but you never forget the feeling that you've described las, when the world goes in slow motion, colors seem brighter and every sense you possess is magnified to a very high degree

I think it's part of the human condition, it does us good to be occasionally faced with our own mortality. No other time do you feel quite so alive as when doing so ime.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

[Linked Image] [/quote]

Never happened to me but I have heard lots of stories about guys getting there ATV seats chewed up by bears. They must like a$$ cracked sweat!?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A little bit off track but seeing that quadrunner seat reminded me of the crew of a helicopter I was using in Borneo. The 407 had inflatable skids and they would spray them at the end of every day with insect surface spray to stop the local dogs chewing on them.

Wonder if that works for bears?

Love the close up and personal stories. My encounters with rampaging wombats seem mild by comparison!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have many of encounters to lament but the one that sounds like it fits runs out like this.

Opening day of muzzle-loader season for elk in the Blue Mountains of Oregon we all split up before first light and set out to work this drainage that had several finger ridges and creeks in it.

The plan was to send some around the back side with quads and we would start up from the road system in. It was a good sized area of roadless wilderness and in no time we had the legs a burning.

Sun came up on cue and I did a little calling to see what could be roused into responding. Not much so I kept climbing. About two thirds of the way to the top ridge line I ran into a couple of our party at about nine o'clock. It was decided that one would go all of the way up and over the top and the two left would start working the different stands of timber keeping the same elevation and headed north into the darker canyons.

Two stands of timber later I spot a good sized Black Bear hot footing off of the ridge our friend headed to. He was crossing barren ground and stood out like a pimple on a prom queen.

He came right to us and the timber we were in. My partner rolled him up at about 75 yards with a running shot. I was darned impressed at the shot and the back slapping begone. As we were celebrating and letting the bruin expire we were taking off backpacks and setting GPS's when this black blur came out of the willows of the little seep the bear landed in 70 yards up the hill.

He was now at 25 yards and headed our way. I stepped past my buddy with my .50 cal muzzle-loader and put a round right behind this diaperloading threat. I hit him hard but all it did was veer around me and head into the willow down the hill.

We could here him thrashing around trying to get his feet under him and come through the willows right at us. I looked at my buddy and in a soft voice reminded him that we were both standing there 15 yards from a bear that wants to chew on the top of our heads with two sticks in our hands. I can still remember the look on his face when we both figured out that both guns were unloaded and the Bear was coming.

You should have seen the reloading process. I think I only got about 3/4's of the powder in my gun and my partner not much better but we did get them loaded and by then that darn Bear decided he would rather not fight it any more. We then saw him next out of the willow on the other side of the creek dragging his front right paw and bleeding like a stuck pig.

We both tried to get a shot into him but the timber was just too thick and soon he was out of range. At this point we have a wounded Bear and he is headed into some real tight timber.

All I can remember is thinking not good- really not good. The part that really sent me was I just bought a new .44 S&W and it was in camp because I thought it to heavy for the climb. That never happened again.

We finally heard the death growl and closed the distance then both put another round in that poor bear for extra measure. I will never forget packing him out and the whole darn "wilderness" experience as part of the foodchain.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BCSteve

[Linked Image]

Never happened to me but I have heard lots of stories about guys getting there ATV seats chewed up by bears. They must like a$$ cracked sweat!? [/quote]

Seats and tires. I always heard it was the glue used in seats, but who knows. I was lucky and we laughed our asses off over the paw-shaped pieces of foam. Probably served us right for pelting rocks at him. I reassembled the seat as best I could and held all the pieces together with a trash bag.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by 458Win
I had a squirrel run up my leg

I knew all other stories would pale in comparison to whatever Phil had to tell!

I knew it would be tough to top Phil...but I got to try....I was attacked-and bitten- by a mama bluegill in shallow water once.... eek

Does a fish count?

You get your worm back?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
M
M
Came upon a cow moose and her calf hiking one day when I come around a group of trees. I froze, calf seen me, the cow didn't. Calf wanted to leave but eventually the cow fed past me, calf stayed where I initially seen it. Which put me basically only about 15 feet from being directly between cow and calf. Finally calf walked over to mom and at that time I made my self known by talking to them. Once they seen me I continued on my way past them. Calf freaked out and ran past me to where it was originally. Then the cow freaked out, lowered her head pinned her ears and had her neck/back hair standing up. I had no place to go, rock wall behind me and only brush around me. I simply froze, had this great plan of ducking and dodging my way to the closest big tree but when the cow whirled around and bluff charged me I stayed and she ran past to her calf, then swirled around and stomped her hooves at me a couple times before departing. I nearly needed to clean out my shorts!

Had a nuthatch attack me in the tree stand one day pecking at my hat/head, thought the dam thing was going to get one of my few remaining brain cells was scared ****less!! smile

Hunting is where you prove yourself
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My friend Butch Blalock and I had a Brown Bear charge while trying to sneak up on some geese at Power Creek in Cordova. I had spotted the Geese earlier in the day and waited for Butch to get of duty to and try to get some. We went back out about 3 with both of us carrying shotguns and .44 mags. Butch carried A over and under and a 4 inch Smith with 180 gr.Super Vel. That I had hand loaded on his right hip and I carried a 870 Rem. And a Ruger with 240 gr.Speer with 21gr.of 2400 on my left hip butt forward.

We made our approach up along a small creek with scattered Alders to a large stand of alders,we got to about 20 feet of the stand and started to skirt them,there was a small gully I just stepped across when the Sow commenced her charge, she came at me and turned toward butch ,I hollered Bear,Butch hollered Brown,boom,boom,he shot first and I shot second,his shot went went the top of the nose and came out the side of her mouth and my broke her neck.The sow dropped dead at his feet,I took 3 steps and poked her with my Shotgun.

I'll never forget the look and sound durning her charge,her hackles were up,her ears were flat and she was huffing like a Boar Hog.Her 2 cubs came out of the Alders briefly but didn't press a charge and went back into the alders.

We went back to town and reported it to Fish and Game to see if they wanted to investigate,they told us to go back and skin her out,at which time we switched from shotguns to .338. It was getting dusk by this time and dark went we completed the skinning ,the cubs stayed in Alders but were thrusting around,this was the most stressful,we wondered all through the skinning process if we could stop both Cubs if they charged as they were both about the sows size.

We went back to town,took some pictures and turned the hide in.I often wondered if they auctioned off the hide and if the person who purchased it wondered about the hole in the nose.

As a side note my bullet took out half the neck bone and lodged in hide on the off side.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Handguns stayed in the holsters? I always wondered, can you clear leather fast enough if needed? I guess if not, at least you might can grab it while being chewed on.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both shots were with .44 mags, I have no doubt that had the sow press her charge at me instead of turning at the little gully,she would have been on me. Butch and I have talked about this many times,if I was a fraction slower she would have been on him,we also talked about why we didn't use our shotguns as close as she was,the thought never entered our minds.

I've discussed this attack with various people trying to understand the reason,we were not between her and her cubs,there didn't appear a kill of any kind as we never observed any Magpies or other birds in the area other than the Geese although there are Red and Silver Salmon in the Lake, the area is not noted for Moose and Deer. I came to the conclusion that some times Bears don't need a reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of summers ago we had made a day trip home from camp for re-supply. Everything was left as was for our return in the evening, but we unloaded the guns in case someone stopped by.

In the evening we returned. The first order of business, after unloading supplies, was to check the net so we could get the fish cut and hung before it got too late.

I took my 11-year-old, and my 5 year old along with a big metal washtub to put fish in. The net yielded up a well-filled tub which we motored over to the rocky embankment just below the fish rack. The older boy tossed the anchor into the rocks, and we proceeded to lift the washtub and it's contents out of the boat and stair-step our way up the rocky jumble, one of us on each side.

Looking up I saw a set of eyes and small ears atop a brown head sticking up from the relatively short grass by the fish rack. "The brown dog....uh, we didn't bring any of the dogs....we don't have a brown dog. BEAR!"

The little dude was so small he was zero threat, but this was July, or late June anyway, and he wasn't much bigger than a fur ball. Something we didn't see was scary indeed! Where was his mother?

My wife and 9 year-old son were yet at the cabin some 200 yards away. I yelled, "Bring a gun". And remembering that we had unloaded them earlier in the day, I added, "And ammo."

As we stood there waiting and watching, I realized that the two boys were huddled right next to me. The 9 year-old was carefully carrying the 45-70 levergun at a quick pace as we watched he and his mother close distance. It was a relief to have that gun within reach and as I took it in one hand, I reached with my other for the ammo he dug from his pocket.....

......for the 480 Ruger revolver. crazy

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
60n -

That is some good shooting from both you guys. I'd hope I'd do close to as well... but I'm not sure.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd just as soon avoid that chit.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bender

Myself too,a couple of weeks after that event we were after a Black Bear out a Hartney Bay and while walking up the Creek and observed some movement about 50yards on the Grass Bank,we could not make out what it was,just as we were getting ready to climb up on the other Side a yellow Bear with Black legs stood up.We had the wind so it never smelt us,we backed out very gingerly,after we were couple hundred yards away it went into woods.

I went to the Fish and Game and asked them about Tolkat Grizzly in unit 6,they told me only Browns but one could have come the Copper River. I never heard of anybody taking one.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Posted several places before on this forum there was the time Tripper
Lab and I were surrounded and shadowed along a brushy trail by a pack of wolves.

Got a real nice wolf pelt out of that deal.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Interesting. Got to wonder if it was a long distance traveler smile or a color phase mutant.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe it was a traveler,it was on ocean front property and give or take 27 miles from the Copper River by road and 330,000 acres of Copper River Delta. I always suspected it was a smaller Boar and was dispatched during mating season. I've observed some light colored Bears but nothing the color of dried Beach Grass.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My cousin once wounded a Racoon with a .22. The coon started chasing us. He broke the butt of the gun when he hit the coon like a golf ball. Actually felt more sorry for the coon than my cousin when he got his rear tore up for breaking the gun & not properly respecting the game.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.