Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9492473 01/07/15
L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Was going to spend my fur check on a new gun but I have started to look at suppressors. If I do go through with this im planning to go through Dakota Silencers and getting a .22 cal suppressor and having my 17 tactical and 22-250 Ackley threaded. Now my question for you guys is is it worth it? You guys using them has it helped you pick up more doubles or is it just a fun toy?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do it.....you won't regret it.

I will never hunt coyotes without one again. Game changer!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
laker,

How's your hearing? A good friend was pretty anal about wearing hearing protection, pre supressor. Doesn't worry about it post supressor. He hunt's coyotes from early fall till spring. He's very happy not having to wear protection. Say's it help's with multiple coyotes too.

I'm still using ear muffs. I tell myself it's cause they keep my ears warm.

L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Dennis that is one of the other benefits I was thinking about was easier on the ears. Im a younger guy but my hearing isn't what it should be from heavy equipment and shooting to much without hearing protection. I now shoot as much as possible with hearing protection except while hunting.

L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Scenarshooter has the suppressor helped you kill multiple dogs on stand a lot easier? I tend to call a lot of doubles but sticking a 25 grain bullet up the south end of a north bound coyote after I kill the first one doesn't work out the best.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buying a suppressor was the best sporting goods purchase I've made. Ever. Wish I would have done it years ago.

Dakota Silencer is good to go.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 01/07/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could have stopped by during my trip to Bowman a couple weeks ago and you could have tried a couple first hand.

Just know that using a suppressor on a supersonic 22 cal is still quite loud but that sound is the 'crack' of the bullet rather than the muzzle blast.

I think you just need to determine how much $1000 means to you (and your hearing).

P.S. Most suppressor buyers/users do not regret the purchase.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Laker,
I would suggest if at all possible that you try a suppressor. It made a believer out of me. I don't regret buying mine. After shooting my 308 with my suppressor, I'll never go with out my can on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

Just know that using a suppressor on a supersonic 22 cal is still quite loud but that sound is the 'crack' of the bullet rather than the muzzle blast.

To all who use suppressors.

How loud would say a suppressed 22-250 be? As loud as a .22 rf mag or louder?

What barrel lengths are you guys using them on?

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by laker
Scenarshooter has the suppressor helped you kill multiple dogs on stand a lot easier? I tend to call a lot of doubles but sticking a 25 grain bullet up the south end of a north bound coyote after I kill the first one doesn't work out the best.

Without question...there is still a sonic crack, but they can't pinpoint where it came from. It's a huge advantage when a lone coyote shows up first, and you know there are more on the way in. My ratio of success on doubles, triples, and quads increased instantly when I started using it late last winter...

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny

Thanks

Quieter. My barrel is 22" on my 6 Creedmoor.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is a 16" .223. Camera is probably two feet from the muzzle. If that.

16" .308.

16" .308 with sub-sonics.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
You guys have sold me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Lonny

Thanks

Quieter. My barrel is 22" on my 6 Creedmoor.

That's impressive! I've never been around one so it's all new to me.

Which one do you use?

Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get it bought. The first time you shoot with it you will wish you had bought it years ago. I got mine the first of October and cut my 204 down to 20 inch and have put 700 rounds through it since I got my can. The only thing I wish was that I had didnt think about buying one for 6 months and listen to everyone and just bought one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another advantage of a suppressor is that even though the round is supersonic and it helps to dissipate the crack and still not suppress the sound as we would like, it also has a tendency to disrupt the sound track of where the round came from. With subsonic ammo and a can it's possible to approach "Hollywood" quiet.

If a jet airplane is flying overhead we have learned that the sound does trail the aircraft, and we have learned to move our eyes ahead of the sound source to search for the aircraft. Critters haven't figured that out yet when dealing with suppressors. I don't know much about multiples as my only chances with multiples have been with bolt actions and no suppressor. Makes me want a redo on a couple of chances when I had 3 dogs at 50 yards. Makes me wish then that I had an AR with a can.

I've had coyotes on a hillside facing me that I overshot and when the see the bullet strike higher up on the hill on the other side of them, they have run towards me. Fun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have only hunted dogs one day out of 2014 with a suppressor. So I can't speak to their effectiveness. But I can say I did buy a can for coyotes.

And I'll also say this... If you look at TrNCo's (I think that's his handle) pictures, you'll see a can on his rifle. And if scenar is saying it works, it works.

I think those two have killed more dogs than mange.

Buy.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A quality suppressor will eliminate 95%+ of the muzzle blast. Remember that decibel readings (increase or decrease) is logarithmic (think pH scale).

If I shoot subsonic 22lr ammo (e.g. Wolf) through my Sparrow, it is Hollywood quiet. If I shoot supersonic (e.g. stringers) through the Sparrow, it is no where near as quiet due to the sonic crack. Remember that and you will not be disappointed when using a suppressor on any caliber.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the mini Flave ' s chuckle says it all....
Nice videos Travis....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
He's lovin' it.

Travis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.