Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Another Chinese POS.

And still no field test stories?

I guess even Chinese junk is good enough when you only cut a sandwich during the season.

"Old Coleman Western Knife "Black Double Lock Back Hunter" Proudly made in the U.S.A 1989"

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doubtful. That makes it a POS and not just a Chinese POS.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 4ager
[quote=Savage_99]
Could you choose a bigger POS?

You had to ask.. Nothing like Don showing up to the party.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I Purchased a Havalon Piranta, just to check it out and see what the buzz was about.. I had it for about 10 mins. Boxed it up and returned it. What a joke of a knife. I will stick with my Blind Horse (aka now Battle Horse), and Jeff White fixed blade knives. Fixed blade, High carbon Steel, usable blade, grind, and handle configurations. Fair priced for what you are getting. most of mine are between $140-$175 bucks.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarkG
I Purchased a Havalon Piranta, just to check it out and see what the buzz was about.. I had it for about 10 mins. Boxed it up and returned it. What a joke of a knife. I will stick with my Blind Horse (aka now Battle Horse), and Jeff White fixed blade knives. Fixed blade, High carbon Steel, usable blade, grind, and handle configurations. Fair priced for what you are getting. most of mine are between $140-$175 bucks.

They sure don't have any style. But I wouldn't call them a joke. Mine goes through 3-6 elk a year along with a deer, antelope, or sheep thrown in.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by MarkG

They sure don't have any style. But I wouldn't call them a joke. Mine goes through 3-6 elk a year along with a deer, antelope, or sheep thrown in.

Let's just say they don't fit my taste then, for what I want in a knife...

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched a guy break a Havalon this past week. He was skinning a cull buck and the blade broke just during skinning, no abuse in any way. He was fortunate it did not cut him, and he quickly realized what had happened.

Think I'll pass on them, myself.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use both the Havalon Piranta and the Outdoor Edge, used the Havalon on lots of critters with no complaints, finally broke a blade last fall. The Outdoor Edge loads up with hair & fat between the blade and the slot it goes in, kinda hurts its' effectiveness. For the leg joints and tough cuts I have a knife using utility blades.

If I had to choose, I'd run with the Havvy. My boss broke his, Havalon replaced it.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Havalon for several years now on at least 5 elk and probably close to 20 deer and a few antelope. When I first got the knife I broke a few blades. Then I learned that I needed to let the knife do the cutting and not force. This is where folks get into trouble with the Havalon, they try to treat it as if it is their grandpa's old Buck knife.

Additionally, a friend of mine was asking me last fall about my Havalon while taking care of a couple deer that myself and his daughter had killed that evening. I suggested that he look into the Outdoor Edge because I thought hey had taken a pretty good concept and made it better. This fall he killed a mule deer. While we were skinning out the deer it was brutally cold, about -12 to -15 that evening. His OE had gotten a bunch of fat and additional fleshy material in the slot that held the blade. You can guess what happened, it froze. When he went to change the blade, he had to put it on the dash of his truck to unthaw it enough to get the old blade out, while I continued to work on the front half with my Havalon.

I'll say I like the concept of the Oe with the stronger spine, but the performance in cold weather has me thinking that it is infallible. I own an OE myself now, and plan on taking both into the field next fall.

Finally, I don't use the Havalon to cut thru brisket it rib bones, that is what my light weight bone saw is designed for, however, when it comes to breaking down and dismembering a carcass, the surgical blade type knife is hard to beat.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by imgoofy
I've used the Havalon for several years now on at least 5 elk and probably close to 20 deer and a few antelope. When I first got the knife I broke a few blades. Then I learned that I needed to let the knife do the cutting and not force. This is where folks get into trouble with the Havalon, they try to treat it as if it is their grandpa's old Buck knife.

Additionally, a friend of mine was asking me last fall about my Havalon while taking care of a couple deer that myself and his daughter had killed that evening. I suggested that he look into the Outdoor Edge because I thought hey had taken a pretty good concept and made it better. This fall he killed a mule deer. While we were skinning out the deer it was brutally cold, about -12 to -15 that evening. His OE had gotten a bunch of fat and additional fleshy material in the slot that held the blade. You can guess what happened, it froze. When he went to change the blade, he had to put it on the dash of his truck to unthaw it enough to get the old blade out, while I continued to work on the front half with my Havalon.

I'll say I like the concept of the Oe with the stronger spine, but the performance in cold weather has me thinking that it is infallible. I own an OE myself now, and plan on taking both into the field next fall.

Finally, I don't use the Havalon to cut thru brisket it rib bones, that is what my light weight bone saw is designed for, however, when it comes to breaking down and dismembering a carcass, the surgical blade type knife is hard to beat.

Zactly and well said!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got an Outdoor Edge for Christmas and I love it. Skinned two deer with the first blade and it was still reasonably sharp. My sturdier knives are generally on hand also, and I used one of them to do a quick scrape down the sides of the OE when it got coated in fat.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got an Outdoor Edge for Christmas too. I haven't used it but sure want to give it a try. I will try to remember this thread to give feedback once I do.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think you'll like it.

I just resharpen with a hard Arkansas stone and it's good to go. I've yet to replace the original blade.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using Havalon's since they came out and on both moose and large bears I typically need to change the blades once. Like with any sharp tool you need to be careful but I have no problem changing blades with my hands by pushing up and lifting the dull end.
I use mine for all the skinning and fleshing, not for butchering. I still carry a proper Victornox butcher and skinning knives for the big cutting chores.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fear breaking a blade and getting cut just like the earlier post said. Have never not been happy with one knife that was sharp to begin with. Only ever had to gut a few elk. Many whitetail have been dressed and a fair number butchered in the field. Limited experience compared to some here I know. Seems like Phil has a good plan. A good sturdy knife for rougher work, a lighter duty but sharper one for precise work

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the havalon on about 8 deer and it's been great .... granted it's hot it's limitations but if you let the blade cut it will cut. It will not pry or saw, I have other tools for that

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.