-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My youngest daughter just turned 6 in november and she is my little hunting buddy. I built a 300 blackout and she has been shooting it since she was 4. I took both girls out and we scouted hard and found some good rub lines, scraps, and game trails to setup on. Opening weekend we had several deer in front of us but at 250yds so we passed on them. We moved the blind to a different location where we seen the deer going into the woods. It was 114yds to the center of the trail. Before we set up that evening i got her on the gun to make sure she was steady enough with a rest to make a good lethal shot and she went 2 for 2 in the bull. We got in the blind at 3:30 and i have a camera tripod i put a shooting V on and it works perfect for the girls as it will adjust to both of them and i can make fast up and down adjustments as needed. We got it all set up and ready for the deer. At 5:00 i heard some leaves moving and i started to get the rifle put on the rest. About then the deer stepped out and her eyes bugged out. She said "daddy it has horns and im gonna shoot it" i told her to get on him and i turned loose of the gun. Told her to take her time and asked if she could see him in the scope. She informed me she could see him fine, gave her the ok to put in on fire and hold steady and squeeze the trigger. After she put it on fire and settled back in on the gun i watched the barrel go from shaking some to being rock solid so i turned to watch the deer. When she sent the 150gr hornady soft point to him it sounded good and i seen his front end hump a bit and he then lunged into the woods. The smile was from ear to ear and she said " i had it behind his shoulder like you said daddy". We sat in the blind till dark, said a prayer and went to the woodline but didnt see any blood. I then got a phone call and had to go to work but told her it looked good and that it was below freezing and when i got home at 7am we would come looking. Well the next morning me and the oldest one sat in the blind till 8 and then went to the place i seen her deer go into the woods. About 8-10 steps we found blood and lots of it, another 15 steps was her deer. I called my wife and told her to bring her to the blind that we had blood but she needed to track it.
Couldnt get the video to show as image but click on link below to watch her track it lol
[img][IMG]http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g471/chevydiggs/th_20141125_085432_zps1184f793.mp4[/img][/img] [img]http://vid1103.photobucket.com/albums/g471/chevydiggs/20141125_085432_zps1184f793.mp4[/img]
[Linked Image]

She had a perfect double lung shot and i couldnt have been more proud.

My oldest and i went to hunting in the same blind and my youngest went with my wife. My wife hasnt shot her first deer yet and my 6yo rubbed it in a bit lol. I had her on another good rub line and she took a liver shot on a 8pt at 325yds. To date thats the longest i have tracked a deer and found it, was 600+yards but she got him.
[Linked Image]

Now my oldest 9yr old and i are hunting hard to get her a deer, she shot her first deer last year with the blackout also and got a nice little doe. We was in a rush after Thanksgiving and when we got to the field discovered that the blackout was at home but i had my 30-06 and i told her it wont kick and would do just fine( didnt lie cause i knew i would have my hand on the back of it to keep it from kicking cause i knew the 180gr barnes ttsx is a little hot). We been setting for a while and she was about to be ready to leave and i heard something. Told her to be real quiet and get ready, i put the rifle on the tripod and here come a deer in a walk, i made a grunt noise with my mouth and he stopped. She said she could see him good and had it behind his shoulder, i put my hand on the back of the rifle and told her to squeeze the trigger when she was ready, she sent it to him and no doubt it was a hit. We gave him a few minutes and went after him. He only ran about 20 steps. She made a perfect shot behind the shoulder and exit through the other shoulder.
[Linked Image]

I didnt get a shot but wouldnt trade a wall full of deer for the memories i have for this hunting season. Pretty sure i was more excited than both girls. Have to give thanks to the Good Lord for making it possible. Was an awesome day to be a dad.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is good stuff right there. You've got a lot of good hunters coming along. Thanks for posting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great stories and pictures! Congratulations, Dad and family! A bunch of clutch shooters! It does my heart good to know that there are folks like you out there.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congratulations to all of you and best wishes for many more memorable hunts together!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, the memory we got this deer season is worth more than any amount of money.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
That's great -all of it -just great. Congratulations to you and your family.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
That's great -all of it -just great. Congratulations to you and your family.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 16 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.