-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you hit your intended target? If ya hit where you wanted I wouldn't think the charge would be off. Maybe clean the chamber and try some more from the same batch providing you've fired others from this batch before this happened. If not I would pull them and start completely over with FL resizing.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
#1 guess, case length too great, brass jamming into throat
#2 rough chamber
#3 seating die out of adjustment, too long COAL, bullet jamming into throat
#4 different lot of powder

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So I picked up some factory ammo this week because curiosity has the best of me ... I wanted to find out if it's just my reloads. Anyway, I got around to trying them today. Bolt was hard as hell to lock closed and I went ahead and fired the round. Casing stuck in chamber just like my reloads. Stuck tight and had to tap out with my cleaning rod again. Something's up with my chamber. Its so damn hard to see inside the chamber but maybe it's just dirty. I don't know? Any suggestions? I hope nothing is seriously going on ... this rifle has always shot awesome.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
How long has it been since you've swabbed the chamber?

Yes, a chamber can become sufficiently fouled to cause cases to stick.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
How long has it been since you've swabbed the chamber?

Yes, a chamber can become sufficiently fouled to cause cases to stick.

To be honest ... never. I've never in my life focused specifically on cleaning a chamber in any of my rifles. Barrels and the bore, now that's a different story. This must be a tight chamber to begin with is my guess. I've been trying like hell to get this chamber clean since yesterday and haven't had any luck yet. Bolt is still very hard to close with the factory loaded round.

What's a good solvent to soak the chamber with? How do I keep the solvent in there to soak? I have a feeling this fouling is built up in the front end of the chamber where it meets the bore, which is the hardest to get at. I sure don't want to take the chance of scratching or damaging anything. Any suggestions on how to get this daggum chamber clean?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try using a oversized bore mop to fit the chamber snug... with 91% alcohol -or- lighter fluid -or- brake cleaner (non-chlorinated). Soak it pretty good, insert, twist, etc. Then let it sit. Take it out and wring it dry, towel dry, etc. Do it again. When you're satisfied, use a clean bore mop to remove any excess and dry it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was taught on an M-14 Match gun that after brushing the bore w/solvent you use a chamber brush w/solvent, then patch all dry and lube. Think about it, when a wet patch enters the bore liquid is squeezed out of the patch and settles in the chamber, every time. I always clean the chamber after I clean the bore then run a last dry patch down the bore to pick up anything that might have entered the bore from the chamber, then LOOK. Muddy

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
RB, if you have a chamber brush, great, if not just use an pistol bore brush that fits the chamber, then dry with an oversized pistol patch.

If you want to soak it, use one of the foaming cleaners, such as Wipeout or Shooters Choice Extreme Clean.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
40 cal pistol brush should be fine.
Chambers should be swilled out and dried every four or so bore cleanings, or whenever in doubt. At least that's what I do.
As for Seafire's idea, yes, I always have handy cleaning rods along and a special stubby jag, flat on the end. If I can't do it with the rod just tippy tapping, then the gun is done and I go home for the BIG tools.
Hard rod, like Seafire says, with one caveat. GENTLY run it to bottom on the case, mark the rod at the muslim, wrap the rod with tape, to protect the precious crown. THEN get out the nice hammer or mallet. Pretend this is your approach shot to the 18th green in the final round at the Masters.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and give it a whack......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dooger
Try using a oversized bore mop to fit the chamber snug... with 91% alcohol -or- lighter fluid -or- brake cleaner (non-chlorinated). Soak it pretty good, insert, twist, etc. Then let it sit. Take it out and wring it dry, towel dry, etc. Do it again. When you're satisfied, use a clean bore mop to remove any excess and dry it.

This, only soak the bore mop with Kroil oil, using a pistol rod insert into the chamber, the bore mop should be left in the the chamber for a couple of hours. If you want you can mix the kroil with a solvent like trying to clean Moly, but would not use a high ammonia type. Kroil is a penetrating oil that will not dry out and dissipate like alcohol or lighter fluid.
After soaking use a pistol brush that fits the chamber and spin it to break all of the crud loose, swab out and lightly oil.

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/23/15.

Swifty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,046 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.