-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't get caught in the AR race. If you want something that transends all comers, follow the instinct you have with the Sako Vixen and build or buy one in 222 mag. You won't be disappointed. Velocity with a 40 grain bullet will reach 4,000 FPS and they are more accurate than most AR's will be.

AR's come and go, but a Sako stays...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Holy Christ, only thing worse than a Sako is a Pre-64 Winchester.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
OM- Hard core? Can't be hard core until I get a 223 AI! Always had 22 rimfires and 243's. Apparently I'm missing out.

Flave, BGG- thinking I'll stay small bolt face.

SM, Shrap- I love the old Sakos. Not sure it's in the plans right now though. I've a L61 and would like to eventually get a Vixen and do a big and little custom job. Maybe.......that's a lot of hunting funds!

SH- So you're not hip on a Pre64 in 22 Hornet? laugh

It's really between the Montana and Tikka and then just get an AR lower to tinker with.

Last edited by MadMooner; 01/12/15.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A .222 Rem Mag, in a Vixen and dropped in an EDGE.... That could be uber-duber.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Not on the list, but the Ruger Hawkeye with the 1 in 9 twist shoots pretty good. Actually the ones I've had, have shot almost as good as my 1 in 9 twist Ruger 77 mkII vt/target model. Not too chunky either....

Had mine out yesterday. After floating and bedding it shot 64 Nosler bondeds over Benchmark under a half inch, Barnes 55 TSXs over Benchmark or Varget well under and inch and SGKs over Varget into a half inch. I'm happy with it.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_favorite
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Since you don't own an AR, you need one yesterday.

RRA predator pursuit, 20" barrel.

+1 Had mine out today and always a blast to shoot. Shoots great with handloads as well. Get the AR.

I need to at least pick up a lower or two while they are still so cheap and available. Who knows when the next dumbazz will throw a wrench in the works and have it stick.

You do need to pick up a couple lowers, but in my opinion, if building an AR you'll spend probably more getting it to shoot as well as any of the bolt guns you've mentioned (maybe except the Sako) and it'll never be as classy.

That's not my experience at all. In fact, I've got an upper with a very inexpensive DPMS heavy barrel that shoots sub MOA all day long with junk factory rounds.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I thought the Ruger American had a 1-10 twist...oh, wait you wanted the gov't supported, under powered 223. My bad.

All kidding aside, I'd get a 22-250 if deer are on the agenda. The AR doesn't do it for me in the paper punching game...dont' get me wrong, it has it's place.

I wish my howa 22-250 was a 1-10 like the ruger. If it didn't shoot soo good I'd think of selling it, getting a ruger, and putting a real stock on the ruger.

Anyway...I'm starting to ramble.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
WTF does a 1-10" get you?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
OM- Hard core? Can't be hard core until I get a 223 AI! Always had 22 rimfires and 243's. Apparently I'm missing out.

Flave, BGG- thinking I'll stay small bolt face.

SM, Shrap- I love the old Sakos. Not sure it's in the plans right now though. I've a L61 and would like to eventually get a Vixen and do a big and little custom job. Maybe.......that's a lot of hunting funds!

SH- So you're not hip on a Pre64 in 22 Hornet? laugh

It's really between the Montana and Tikka and then just get an AR lower to tinker with.

you'll spend the rest of your life wishing you'd have listened. grin

MAGA
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Ability to shoot heavier bullets, that buck the wind better, that in theory carry more killing power/energy (in theory).

Honestly, I like have the flexibility, but truth told you'll need a faster twist than 1-10 to stabilize the real heavy uber-cool 22 bullets.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Not on the list, but the Ruger Hawkeye with the 1 in 9 twist shoots pretty good. Actually the ones I've had, have shot almost as good as my 1 in 9 twist Ruger 77 mkII vt/target model. Not too chunky either....

Had mine out yesterday. After floating and bedding it shot 64 Nosler bondeds over Benchmark under a half inch, Barnes 55 TSXs over Benchmark or Varget well under and inch and SGKs over Varget into a half inch. I'm happy with it.

[Linked Image]

Is that a factory stock you painted?

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just as a counter point, right before Christmas, I bought a Wally World ADL .223 with un-named Chinese 4X12 scope. With a trigger adjustment and tightening of scope mount/stock screws it will shoot three 40gr. V- Maxes into 1/2 inch and even 55 Sierra under I inch for five shots. All for $340 bucks with rebate.

Note that I have owned two Vixens, a .222 Mannlicher and a .222 Magnum Varmint both bought new, and they didn't provide nearly as much fun as that little Wally World special.

Also note that to us "old guys", the plastic tipped bullets are uber cool compared to the stuff we had back in the old days. The .22 hornet now has the range of the .222/223 and the .223 reaches out to where we used to go to 6MMs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a chuckle out of someone struggling to get a RRA to shoot..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I got a chuckle out of someone struggling to get a RRA to shoot..

What was that POS you had last spring shooting gophers?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Anyone looking at a Ruger for paper punching should look at the Hawkeye Predator just for the 2-stage trigger. Very nice.

That said, if it were me and I had the bucks, a Sako anything would be very high on the list.

Damn, I was looking at the predator. I would have bought it, except it did have the 2 stage trigger. sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

[Linked Image]

That rifle is looking damn good man. I love the red pad and brown stock. Stainless and damn, you got the whole package right there...A good shooter too, but that's pretty much a given with those rifles. Mine shot so damn good, I let a friend talk me out of it. He traded me his MkII VT/Target and then laughed all the way to his house.... eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The RAR has a flimsy stock, but is low bucks, 8-twist, and SAS took over for Cotis with the mag mod. Mine has a 10x. Did a little shooting with it yesterday.

For the money, I can't complain. I pitched the factory trigger spring and blade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All things considered, for my money, I'd grab that Sako from Travis and then pick up a Ruger American or a Wally World ADL ( which I have one, with about 5,000 rounds down the barrel and its still a tack driver..)

With a quality rifle, you are still going to want 'a beater' or truck gun.... and if you had just a truck gun you'd probably be wanting a quality rifle...

having just one never seems to work for me...

and depending on what you can get it for, that one of Mark's is pretty darn nice...saw it in action last spring...

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
What speed are you getting out of Those 75 amaxs?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NTG
What speed are you getting out of Those 75 amaxs?

2930 fps

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.